Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Any photo related OS X 10.10 Yosemite issues so far?  (Read 12580 times)

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
Any photo related OS X 10.10 Yosemite issues so far?
« on: October 20, 2014, 07:01:13 pm »

Mostly I'm concerned with using PTGui Pro (latest version) but their forum is mute on the subject.

francois

Re: Any photo related OS X 10.10 Yosemite issues so far?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 03:51:26 am »

I just tried with a simple panorama consisting of 10 CR2 files and everything seemed OK so far. Keep in mind that it's just a quick test…
Francois

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 01:43:30 am »

I have not made the leap, I usually wait a month or so, but Lloyd Chambers complained bitterly on his Mac Performance Guide site about slow response, opening & closing files. He urges caution. And no, I'm not related to him, nor do I work for him.

francois

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 05:07:42 am »

I have not made the leap, I usually wait a month or so, but Lloyd Chambers complained bitterly on his Mac Performance Guide site about slow response, opening & closing files. He urges caution. And no, I'm not related to him, nor do I work for him.

I've not [yet?] experienced any slow-downs (compared to the previous system) when opening or closing files on my Macs but I might just be lucky.
Francois

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 06:23:32 am »

No issues that I have encountered after nearly a week.  Capture One works, PhotosHop works, Plug ins seems to work.  No issue opening or closing files.  The cool pass off features work.  Also, there is a very cool preview feature in finder.  Make sure you open up a drive or folder and the go to the view menu in finder and enable preview.  It puts a preview window on the right of the open window and shows a preview of what ever file you click on.  Great for PDFs and photos.   I even make and receive phone calls on the Mac now. 

This is one very nice OS.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

CoyoteButtes

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 05:23:05 pm »

Other than the fact that installation attempt froze and I have recovered back to Mavericks, none at all.

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 08:18:20 am »

Has anyone tried SpectraView ll software or the x-rite pucks? I've got the i1 display pro and wonder if all is working as it should.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 10:25:14 am »

I've not [yet?] experienced any slow-downs (compared to the previous system) when opening or closing files on my Macs but I might just be lucky.
Me either and in fact, if anything,Yosemite seems zippier in many areas. For example, it seems to boot very fast.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

francois

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 11:47:03 am »

Me either and in fact, if anything,Yosemite seems zippier in many areas. For example, it seems to boot very fast.

Yes, boot time is quicker. I've experienced a few graphic glitches but nothing important (ex: open an empty FireFox window and enlarge it… on my Mac, the enlarged portion of the window is filled with garbage). I've also tried to print from Mavericks and from Yosemite and output (Epson 3800) seems identical to my eyes.

Francois

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 05:19:50 pm »

From http://xritephoto.com/custom_page.aspx?pageID=540

KNOWN ISSUES FOR COLORMUNKI PHOTO AND COLORMUNKI DESIGN

-  When attempting to install ColorMunki software (Photo or Design) on Yosemite 10.10, the installation will fail.
-  If ColorMunki software (Photo or Design) is already installed and you upgrade to Yosemite 10.10, ColorMunki software will crash while trying to create a profile.

KNOWN ISSUES FOR DNG PROFILE MANAGER

-  When attempting to install DNG Profile Manager on Yosemite 10.10, the installation will fail.

Our development team is working to correct the situation as quickly as possible and anticipates releasing a software update compatible with MAC OSX 10.10 no later than:

November 3, 2014 for ColorMunki Photo
November 3, 2014 for DNG Profile Manager
December 8, 2014 for ColorMunki Design
Software updates will be posted here for manual download or use the auto-update feature:

ColorMunki Photo: xritephoto.com/colormunki-photo/support
ColorMunki Design: xrite.com/colormunki-design/support
DNG Profile Manager: xritephoto.com/colorchecker-passport/support
We appreciate your patience and support while we work to correct this situation.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

francois

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 05:54:08 am »

From http://xritephoto.com/custom_page.aspx?pageID=540

KNOWN ISSUES FOR COLORMUNKI PHOTO AND COLORMUNKI DESIGN

-  When attempting to install ColorMunki software (Photo or Design) on Yosemite 10.10, the installation will fail.
-  If ColorMunki software (Photo or Design) is already installed and you upgrade to Yosemite 10.10, ColorMunki software will crash while trying to create a profile.

KNOWN ISSUES FOR DNG PROFILE MANAGER

-  When attempting to install DNG Profile Manager on Yosemite 10.10, the installation will fail.

Our development team is working to correct the situation as quickly as possible and anticipates releasing a software update compatible with MAC OSX 10.10 no later than:

November 3, 2014 for ColorMunki Photo
November 3, 2014 for DNG Profile Manager
December 8, 2014 for ColorMunki Design
Software updates will be posted here for manual download or use the auto-update feature:

ColorMunki Photo: xritephoto.com/colormunki-photo/support
ColorMunki Design: xrite.com/colormunki-design/support
DNG Profile Manager: xritephoto.com/colorchecker-passport/support
We appreciate your patience and support while we work to correct this situation.

Thanks for the info. I didn't create to create new profiles but it looks like Yosemite-related bugs will be fixed in a few days.
Francois

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 09:04:16 am »

please state also what for machine you are working on for often bugs are hardware related;

Mavericks has made me become more careful about upgrading - it took Apple till 10.9.2 to debug the finder...
Still my photoshop CS6 remains buggy on Mavericks - on painting it often gets stuck and i have to go out and come back to photshop to start working again, very annoying  ( mac pro 3.1)
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 01:05:25 pm »

Has anyone tried SpectraView ll software or the x-rite pucks? I've got the i1 display pro and wonder if all is working as it should.
I’ve used spectraview to select and move between calibrations with no problems, and it sees the device fine, but I haven’t actually run a calibration with yosemite yet.  I’ll try it over the weekend.

I’ve moved to yosemite on both of my macs, seeing absolutely no issues with anything. I think the public beta was a good idea ... seems to be a pretty smooth release.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 09:00:20 am »

Frankly, this yearly update frequency for OSX is a total nuisance.

These OS updates have very little to no value for productive users and result in mostly a huge waste of time.

I really wish Apple and Microsoft went back to a 2 year pace.

I will personally not get anywhere near 10.10 until I am really forced to (for example if an application I must use gets to be only compatible with 10.10).

Cheers,
Bernard

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2014, 01:02:22 pm »

I'll be awaiting Wayne's test of Spectraview on Yosemite. I'm somewhere between Wayne and Bernard on upgrading. Rarely do I find any significant improvements when I update Apple operating systems. Fortunately, recently basic printer issues have not been a problem as they have been in the past. Perhaps an expert can explain why some people seem to have terrible problems with basic issues and what is most likely the majority seem to have none at all. Lloyd Chambers said there "severe performance issues" with Yosemite in terms of basic operations such as opening and closing files, and urged caution for "professionals," yet I've seen that nowhere else, even in this thread. Like many, I approach these major upgrades with a sense of fear and loathing rather than anticipatory excitement, and I've used Mac's since April of 1984! I'm fortunate to have the new Mac Pro, but usually first install anything new on my Macbook Pro first to be certain it will work, of course all this is done AFTER backing up them machine in case a disaster arises.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2014, 03:56:40 pm »

I have been using Yosemite on my MacBook PRO and the 5K iMac and haven't had any issues.  The air Drop feature as well as hand off and being able to answer my iPhone on the computer and IOS devices is very nice.   ICloud drive seems to be working just fine, and the Key Chain feature syncing to all macs and IOS is sweet.  So far I love it.  The finder window has a preview window now and this allows a preview of the file you select.  That works very nice.  The upgrade itself was very painless on all devices.  So far, so good.  I'll scream loud if something goes bad. I use my machines a lot.  Also, the new 5K is beautiful.  I am awaiting X-rites upgrade to the calibration software to calibrate the screen, but the images on it are gorgeous.  I have just about finished installing plug ins for PS CC.  Capture One is behaving kind of funny on the 5K iMac.  Not sure if it is the high res screen or Yosemite. For example, I can't see the mask being drawn on Local Adjustments at 100% on the iMac 5K. The mask shows fine at fill the screen preview.    I'll be with the Phase One guys this week doing a workshop in Scotland so I'll get the full story then.  Lightroom seems to import and function well.  I haven't seen it slow down on the iMac 5K for opening or saving files.  Previews were quick and looked great.  Still need to put it really to the test.  A usual we will most likely see a number of upgrades come out soon for 5K and Yosemite performance. 

My set up for the iMac 5K is fully loaded and hooked up to a Pegasus RAID (16TB) as well as a Thunderbolt WD 4TB portable drive hooked to it.  The portable drive is what I use when I am on location and then transfer everything to the Pegasus when I return. My Laptop is hooked to an Apple 27inch Thunderbolt display with an 8TB raid drive hooked to it.  All running Yosemite.  IOS devices including the new iPad Air, iPhone 6 plus running IOS 8.1. 

The Pixelmator App on the iPad is pretty nice.  Still trying it out and learning but it looks very capable.

I think it is a good upgrade on all fronts and finally ties everything together for mobile and desktop computing.  Normally I would wait on upgrades as mentioned here, but these days I jump in and ride the wave and crash with it sometimes too.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

K.C.

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 01:45:04 am »

Wow Bernard, is someone forcing you to update ?

Apple is adding significant speed and useful features but if you don't feel they offer you anything they're still supporting 10.7 with the rare security updates that Macs need.

Microsoft is just trying to pull their butts out of the W8 mess they made. I just bought 4 new machines at work and all were delivered with the 'Professional downgrade to W7 Pro' that businesses expect. I installed over 40 PCs last year and only had software issues when W8 was the sole option.

The development cycles for either platform are not predicated on a particular time frame. Apple's all about integrating your devices seamlessly. Microsoft is just doing what they've always done. Living with their heads in the sand.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2014, 11:17:31 am »

i came across this news...

http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2014/20141119_1748-OSX_Yosemite-SoftRAID-TRIM.html

So it seems bad news for anyone with a non Apple SSD that needs trim... like the Samsung ssd's

Apples system gets more and more restricted to their own stuff, supposedly to make things safer... :(

The more i hear about yosemite- the more i like to stay with Mavericks...
With every 'upgrade' the question is not - what is new? but     what is still working ?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 11:22:08 am by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2014, 12:55:19 pm »

I’m not happy with how Apple Mail has been updated. For example, sending to a group is now a huge PITA, you actually have to build a group in Contacts first. There is also a bug where you don't always see the number of emails in each folder (apparently a known bug after using smart mail boxes or something). In the last OS, I could see the number of emails in each folder, now it's gone. Another step backwards for Apple.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up