Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about print sizes for frames.  (Read 2371 times)

Concord

Question about print sizes for frames.
« on: October 20, 2014, 04:17:45 pm »

I'm planning on making prints that will fit into standard size 24" x 36" pre-made frames. (according to the manufacturers the opening is 24 x 36, with a 1/8" overlap on all sides, making the viewable area 23 3/4 x 35 3/4).

I'd like to print on a roll, but if I print 36" wide paper I will have to trim a bit on the edges, making the print about 23 3/4 x 35 3/4

I would rather not print "borderless" as I have read that this is not best practice.

Should I go to the next size up, 44", and cut to 24 x 36?  My only hesitation here is that I'm left with a lot of wasted trim.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Re: Question about print sizes for frames.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 05:05:32 pm »

Well you could print it 37" long down your 36" roll although you'll still have waste on the sides.

But 1/8" seems like a very small overlap to me, mine are 3/8" or 1/2" and give me room for trimming.  Perhaps go to a different frame.

JayWPage

• Jay W Page Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 07:46:16 pm »

Are you planning to mat the prints?
Jay W Page

Concord

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 11:35:43 am »

I'm sorry I meant 1/4" overlap on each side not 1/8th".  This is just one frame I was looking at.  I could use a different one.

Concord

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 11:36:12 am »

Are you planning to mat the prints?

No I'm not planning on using a mat.

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 12:17:45 pm »

No I'm not planning on using a mat.

If you're using glass you need something to keep the print surface from touching the glass. A mat normally does that, but there are also plastic spacers that are narrower than the overlap (rabbet) that can be used to keep space between the print and glass when a mat is not used. Having the printed surface pressed against the glass eventually produces problems that vary depending on the paper used, and it's definitely not a "best practice".
- Dean

smjphoto

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 04:08:19 pm »

i dont understand the problem w printing a 23.5 x 35.5 print on a 24x36 paper from either 24" or 36" rolls.

As another approach, I often leave a 1/2" border of paper showing after matting and framing. Its done that way quite a lot by others with fine art.
Stuart

DeanChriss

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 10:49:35 pm »

i dont understand the problem w printing a 23.5 x 35.5 print on a 24x36 paper from either 24" or 36" rolls.

As another approach, I often leave a 1/2" border of paper showing after matting and framing. Its done that way quite a lot by others with fine art.
Stuart

There's no real problem doing it, but that's an awfully small border on a print that large. If for nothing more than easy handling I like to leave borders of at least an inch on larger prints. Also, if you're hinge mounting it's better to have a place to put the hinge that's not immediately behind the printed image. Regardless, due to having equal borders around the print, a frame does not have the same aspect ratio as the image. For instance, an 18x24" print (not 2:3) with 3" wide mat all around would fit a 24X36 inch frame, which has a 2:3 aspect ratio. IMO, ideally a 24x36 inch image should have a 36x48" frame so it doesn't look crowded. 

Your "another approach" suggestion is a good one, but it can be a bit of a pain to get the borders on all four sides perfectly even when mounting the print. The plus side of it is that you don't need to be concerned about any additional cropping by the mat window. For some image compositions this matters a lot, for others not so much.
- Dean

smjphoto

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 04:18:59 am »

i agree with everything you said. That's why I typically print at 20x30 on 24x36 paper and frame them at 30x40 or 32x40. (This uses a full 32x40 mat and backer and glass, keeps the 3:2 ratio and looks professional with a large matt and a 1/2" paper reveal around the image. I use metal frames which are easy to assemble and can be bought fairly reasonably. YMMD

That said, I still don't understand what you are asking of the forum members.

You stated you aren't using a mat and you are using a 24x36 frame with a 1/4" lip each edge. Sure you can print it on a larger sheet, but you still have to cut it down to 24x36 to get it into the frame. If you still want more margin to handle the print, you could do a custom size such as 36x 26 or 28. This would leave you a 1 or 2 inch space at the top and bottom to handle the print. It also won't solve the hinging problem. You have to use a mat for that to improve.

if you use a 24x36 frame there is no way out of cropping the image from the orig 3:2. Even the 1/4" lip change the ratio to 235:355 and it only will get worse as you increase borders.

For me, I don't see a solution other than a custom frame size or live with a less desirable outcome.
good luck,
Stuart

DeanChriss

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 06:07:09 am »

That said, I still don't understand what you are asking of the forum members.

I'm not the OP and didn't ask any question. Just offering an opinion regarding the OP's dilemma and your previous answer. I should've been clearer about that.
- Dean

smjphoto

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 07:24:25 am »

Sorry Chris and OP,
I totally missed that it wasn't the OP.

Stuart

Concord

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 10:54:02 am »

Thanks for your suggestions.  I think I should rephrase my question for better clarity. 

When you are not using a mat, is it typical to print the exact size of the frame (so a 24 x 36 print for a 24 x 36 frame), or is it typical to cut it a little under that size? If so what size do you cut to?

My images do have a border, so cutting a is not a problem, I just want to make sure that I don't cut too much off , as not all frame borders are the same--I would like the print to extend under the frame's bezel.  I want to make sure the prints look good and for well in most frames that they are installed in.  I will be selling many of these unframed, so I would like the buyer to be able to easily put it in a standard size frame that they can get at a frame shop or retailer such as pottery barn, ikea etc, and have it look good (enough).

jferrari

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 11:28:18 am »

You make your print the size you advertise it as and then the frame is made to fit the print.
Nothing changes until something changes.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 01:39:10 pm »

For your example I print 24x36 for a 24x36 frame (borderless on 24" paper).  About 1/16" gets trimmed off with the mount tissue and I center the print on a 24x36 mount.  So a little less than 1/4" is covered  along sides, depending on the frame.
Pages: [1]   Go Up