Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Textured Hills  (Read 6007 times)

jdemott

Textured Hills
« on: November 28, 2005, 06:54:16 pm »

Since I have been offering comments on other people's photos, it is only fair that I put one of mine under the microscope.  All comments are welcome.

[attachment=20:attachment]
John DeMott

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
Textured Hills
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 07:54:46 pm »

John, great side light, texture, and colors. But...

What specifically concerns you that we can discuss?
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

jdemott

Textured Hills
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 08:20:30 pm »

Bob,

I didn't indicate my concerns because I didn't want to limit or pre-determine the direction of the discussion.  But since you asked....  Does the dark red at the top make the composition seem too top heavy?  I don't know what I would do about it since I like the placement of the trees in the draw and wouldn't want to crop the top.  Is there enough of a subject to make it work?  Or does it just come through as texture with nice side lighting?  Finally, I wish I could do a better job of sharpening the jpeg image I'm posting here.  I used Photokit Sharpener and tried various settings, but even greatly reducing the setting, it looks oversharpened to me, especially compared to the large, print-sized file.  But I often feel that web images are oversharpened, so maybe I should just accept that they need to look that way in order to have an impact on the Web.
John DeMott

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
Textured Hills
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 11:37:22 pm »

Bob,

I didn't indicate my concerns because I didn't want to limit or pre-determine the direction of the discussion.  But since you asked....  Does the dark red at the top make the composition seem too top heavy?  I don't know what I would do about it since I like the placement of the trees in the draw and wouldn't want to crop the top.  Is there enough of a subject to make it work?  Or does it just come through as texture with nice side lighting?  Finally, I wish I could do a better job of sharpening the jpeg image I'm posting here.  I used Photokit Sharpener and tried various settings, but even greatly reducing the setting, it looks oversharpened to me, especially compared to the large, print-sized file.  But I often feel that web images are oversharpened, so maybe I should just accept that they need to look that way in order to have an impact on the Web.

I don't get a real strong message, but I am drawn to textures and like it for that reason. The red area, to me, should be accented, not omitted. To do that, I would kick it up a bit and crop out the drab foreground to simplify the scene and give less visual competition to the red back ground.

Interesting perspective - where you in an aircraft? Where is this - I assume somewhere in Oregon based on your sig.

My take on this...

[attachment=22:attachment]
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

jdemott

Textured Hills
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 12:02:47 am »

Interesting perspective - where you in an aircraft? Where is this - I assume somewhere in Oregon based on your sig.

There are a number of places that look similar to this is Oregon, but this shot happens to be in Arches National Park in Utah.  If you are familiar with the park,   this was taken walking down the trail from the distant viewpoint of Delicate Arch (as opposed to the trail that takes you right to the arch).  So yes, I was looking down but only a few hundred feet.  This is what I had been looking at in the other direction:

[attachment=23:attachment]
John DeMott
Pages: [1]   Go Up