Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony A7r + Metabones IV problem with shutter and camera mount  (Read 11799 times)

derAngler

Sony A7r + Metabones IV problem with shutter and camera mount
« on: October 19, 2014, 04:39:36 pm »

Hello,

I just bought a Sony A7r two days ago and use it together with my Canon lenses combined with the new Metabones IV adapter. I tried the following lenses so far: Canon 40mm 2.8, Canon 24mm TS-E II, Canon 85mm 1.8. Unfortunately the camera shutter doesn't work properly from time to time. After every 20-30 exposures I take the camera goes into some sort of waiting mode when I take an exposure, where you can hear the shutter sound but nothing happens for the next 10 seconds. After this the picture looks like it was recorded and even a preview picture shows up but when I check the memory card through the playback mode the picture is not there. I experienced the problem when using the 2 second timer function, both in horizontal and vertical position. I also installed the newest firmware this morning 1.02.
So I don't know if this malfunction is caused by the new firmware update this morning, or the Metabones adapter, the 2 sec timer or something else.
Also I found out that the adapter doesn't fit the camera mount 100%. It is still a little bit wobbly on the mount. On the other hand the lens mount ist really tight.
I hope someone can help me with this problem or share his experience with this combination.

Jan

Sunny Alan

Re: Sony A7r + Metabones IV problem with shutter and camera mount
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 09:09:37 am »

Nobody with a reply so far ?  :(
Im also with same adapter woes....

Herbc

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 09:49:35 am »

Only thing I can offer is to try it without the adapter, i.e. a native lens.  Failing that, there is a Sony rep available in the US via phone, and they do have a web email support, haven't tried it but it sounds like you may have some settings difficulties in the various menus.
If you are shooting RAW, probably normal for a slight delay, although 10 sec is way too long.

derAngler

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 11:13:58 am »

In the meanwhile I contacted the metabones support and they advised me to update the firmware of the adapter to the newest version 0.34. I was kind of surprised that you can update this thing. And I also got a new A7r from Amazon after I contacted the Sony support because they couldn't guarantee that this problem is not caused by the camera itself.
So hopefully when the weather is fine tomorrow I will go out for shooting and test the combination again. Unfortunately the adapter is still a little bit wiggly on the camera mount and I don't have any native Sony lenses to test the camera with.
I am 100% sure that the problem is not caused by a wrong menu setting as the shutter delay happened in situations where I didn't change the camera settings at all. Also there was enough time between the shots (like from 30 seconds to 5min). It just seems like the camera shuts down for around 10 seconds and then the picture is shown in a replay, but no data has been saved.

derAngler

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 02:46:53 pm »

I took around 400 pictures yesterday and the problem is now gone. So it seems that it has been caused by the camera itself or the firmware on the Metabones adapter.
Unfortunately a new problem with the adapter occured. The tripod mount of the adapter got loose. There are two screws which seem like they can tighten it. But I didn't have the right screwdriver around to test it out. Anyway, these wiggle problems are something I didn't expect from an adapter which costs more than 400 Euro and in my opinion are not acceptable for such an expensive product.

allegretto

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 08:07:55 am »

auditioning the A7s with my EF and M-lenses. Just got the combo from Lens Rentals last night

so, available light here we go...!

Well, first, as you I am somewhat amazed by the "slop" in the Metabones IV... The Voightlander M-adapter is much tighter and of course less complex

EF -lenses? AF seems about 50% or so slower with Metabones than my native 6D. Second, up to 12800 so far and I much prefer the Canon rendition of colors and amazingly the Sony seems noisier. Focus lock isn't as good either

The A7s vs. M240...? Well  I don't go over 3200 with the 240 but with A7s at 12800 and 240 at 3200, again, no contest on image with 50mm -cron on both. 240 crushes the Sony, though the two stops are nice. With a -.95 Noctulux you can forget wide open, even with peaking. The Rangefinder is much more accurate, though darker view

So far I stand underwhelmed and that bums me since I thought I found a solution. Will take a go at it today again and double check all settings

BTW; yes, about every 10th to 12th shot the Sony seemed to just freeze a bit and would not trigger the shutter. This may be due to the silent mode I was using and will test with normal shutter today.

Also will post pics for all this

I must be doing something wrong. Everyone says this camera (A7s) is from God's Hands...

PS - I don't really ETTR anymore very much unless it low and difficult light. Then will trim Exp Comp while reviewing shots or just bracket
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 08:27:58 am by allegretto »

Jann Lipka

• http://www.lipka.se
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 01:23:06 am »

Thank you for posting this -
I have the same problem - with camera getting into " waiting mode" for 30 seconds
with metabones mk4 .

Too bad Updating of firmware seems to be doable only in factory .
( =  Expensive trip to US )

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 05:11:07 am »

Thank you for posting this -
I have the same problem - with camera getting into " waiting mode" for 30 seconds
with metabones mk4 .

Too bad Updating of firmware seems to be doable only in factory .
( =  Expensive trip to US )

It seems to be updateable by the user/owner
http://www.metabones.com/article/of/MARK_IV_Firmware_Win

Jann Lipka

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 01:04:08 am »

YEs _ I got the same link from MEtabones.

NOw i'll try to find where Micro USB socket is on the adapter.

Dr.Kildare

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 02:30:02 am »

Hi all,

If you are having issues with your Metabones EF to E adapter on the Sony A7, my advice is ....don't panic.
I found  two separate issues when changing from the Mark 3 to Mark 4 adapter with my Canon and Zeiss lenses, and after contacting Metabones, they eventually released V34 and now V36 of the firmware for the adapter.

If you are having issues, you need to update the adapter to the new V36 of the firmware (released 31st of October 2014). Updating is quite easy and instructions are available on then Metabones website - you just need a micro USB to USB cable to attached the adapter to your computer.

The two issues that were fixed for me with the V34 and then V36 of the firmware were:

Fixed in V34 - auto magnification / MF assist for Canon lenses was fixed
Fixed in V36 - camera went into the weird '10 second delay after shutter release' with one of my Zeiss lenses and this has now been fixed in V36 of the firmware.

If you are having any issues with your adapters, can I suggest that you contact Matabones support, as they have been very helpful when I emailed them with concerns.

DK

allegretto

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 01:28:38 pm »

just upgraded this Metabones IV EF for v .36

Still very slow to lock AF and poor hold

the 6D is far faster and more tenacious.

Is this common or do I have a poor one...?

derAngler

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 06:24:32 am »

This weekend the same problem occured again with my second A7r and Canon lenses. So I am now 100% sure that this is a problem caused by the adapter and not the camera itself. I still used the firmware 0.34 and will update to 0.36 today. I really hope that this firmware also helps when using Canon lenses, as Metabones only writes about fixes with Zeiss lenses.
The only difference I found out is that the problem didn't happen that often as before.

allegretto

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 01:41:49 pm »

Just received an email from a source we can trust

Short form is there is no EF- to E- adapter that does good AF.All dicey

It's enough to make me just go with a stout adapter and MF. MF is nice  on the A7s due to that amazing EVF and two subsystems

derAngler

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2014, 02:16:08 pm »

Ok, today I took another 500 pictures with my Sony A7r and the Metabones Adapter and the same problem happened again like 10 times. I used the 40mm pancake and the 100mm macro lens. So now I don't know what to do. I will contact metabones again and tell them that the problem still exists and hopefully they come up with a solution. It is a very annoying problem. I usually take panorama shots, where I stitch 5-10 imgages in a row. So if the problem occurs in the middle of the panorama, this can ruin the whole shot.

allegretto

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2014, 02:41:58 pm »

Ok, today I took another 500 pictures with my Sony A7r and the Metabones Adapter and the same problem happened again like 10 times. I used the 40mm pancake and the 100mm macro lens. So now I don't know what to do. I will contact metabones again and tell them that the problem still exists and hopefully they come up with a solution. It is a very annoying problem. I usually take panorama shots, where I stitch 5-10 imgages in a row. So if the problem occurs in the middle of the panorama, this can ruin the whole shot.

yep

two different Metabones IV with EF- lenses

a real disappointment as far as AF, AF lock and all around function

Have a DEO on order...

Jann Lipka

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 12:37:53 am »

derAngler - I can confirm the faulty " waiting mode " problem is something that still exist and is very very very annoying.
Happened three times ( 300 exposures ) yesterday .

The most recent firmware in my A7r and 036 firmware 036 installed  in Metabones Iv adapter .
To be honest this kind of problem is a big issue . Metabones being the most expensive adapter  - this problem should be adressed it ASAP.

derAngler

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2014, 04:57:04 am »

Jann, I fully agree with you and addressed this also to Metabones. They charge premium prices for their adapter but neither the functionality nor the build quality is on a corresponding level.

Jann Lipka

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 11:28:31 pm »

I will try another adapter ( arttech ) _ of course it has its own issues
( crashes while tethered )

Metabones should adress waiting mode problem.

NancyP

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 12:25:57 pm »

Are there some less expensive E mount to EOS lens adapters that pass through some information (for exif and for driving the diaphragm) but don't do autofocus? I would like to try out the Sony A7r sometime, rent one.

NancyP

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 12:41:41 pm »

Also, in pricing a rental of A7r plus adapter (Metabones is the only choice) at Lens Rentals, I noted a comment on Metabones II and IV adapters - "may not work with Zeiss ZE, use at own risk" - what's up with this? The one lens I would be most likely to use on A7r would be the Zeiss 21mm f/2.8!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up