Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Macs and 30 bit  (Read 2745 times)

Lundberg02

New Macs and 30 bit
« on: October 18, 2014, 08:23:25 pm »

Since the announcement of the new mini, I have googled for any hint that the Mac will enter the 21st century graphics world and offer 30 bit output like Windows does. No luck so far.
I have a Dell U2413 and would like to set its 14 bit LUT using the DellUltraSharpCalibrationSolutionSetup.exe running in Win 7 under Fusion 7 on my Mac mini 2011, but I don't think it would be  fruitful. How can it work properly if the intermediate stage is only 24 bit? Maybe the software outputs 30 bit to the monitor for the XRite i1 Display Pro to read, but the monitor only gets a 24 bit version of that, so what is the point?
If Apple has finally realized the Windows is  a better editing environment, they aren't making it public that they intend to do anything about it now or next year. Meanwhile many folks are wising up to this.

Lundberg02

Re: New Macs and 30 bit
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 10:17:04 pm »

148 views and no one has anything to say. Amazing.
Movies and video are going to 8k and Rec 2020 and Apple is sitting on its 24 bit a** raking in money from handheld. Just proves that Tim Cook doesn't care about the computer business. The new mini is less capable than the last one.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 11:52:18 pm »

148 views and no one has anything to say.

Well, what did you want to hear? Nope, the Apple display pipeline (even with the most recent OS update) won't do a 30 bit display pipeline...but ya know what? It really ain't no big thing (in my experience). I've seen Photoshop running on a 30 bit display pipeline and I wasn't impressed. Really didn't look all that different than a full 8 bit pipeline. Course, I'm using an NEC which uses an internal 30 bit pipeline to calibrate the display and only uses 8 bit to display the image. But, it's using a full 8 bit–which is actually sufficient to display 8 or 16 bit images without banding. So, exactly what do you think you are missing?

BTW, Mac has a 16 bit print pipeline...what do you think that does to improving printing? Darn little (unless you know how to show the difference).

Lundberg02

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 01:23:48 am »

Some people claim to able to get 30 bit by using SwitchResX, others claim that Thunderbolt and Black Magic boxes do 30 bit. Video apps support it. I have seen TFT Central claim that using the i1Display Pro to profile with the Dell UltraSharpCalibrationSolutionSetup.exe by setting the monitor's LUT produces the ultimate calibration, but I fail to see how, since the monitor is getting DVI video from the Thunderbolt port and it's 24 bit. The software may be producing 30 bit but the display is showing 24 bit which the colorimeter is reading as what? and sending what? to the LUT.
They also say that it's great, without mentioning anything about 30 bit or setting a Win machine for 30 bit, which some say screws everything up.
I'm not saying I'd know the difference, my eyes are failing, but for _____ sake I've had a 48 bit scanner for a decade, printer output is 48 bit, movies and video are going  high bit depth soon, what is Apple thinking? They're not, in my view.
No, color management isn't messed up, it's a disaster.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 01:51:08 am »

...what is Apple thinking? They're not, in my view.

Again what do you think you are missing? Are you really missing anything? I think not if you are using a top notch display. If not, YMMV...

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 12:27:47 pm »

You're kidding, right?

A trillion or so 8 bit images posted online by pro, prosumer photographers and amateur snapshooters with cell phones viewed on uncalibrated displays as small as a post card to 30" LCD's and not one including yourself provides any proof of this assertion.

And I haven't read one complaint about image quality from any of these thousands of photographers.

Where's the problem?

Lundberg02

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 04:41:13 pm »

My 36 Ford ran great, but wasn't much of a car compared to a new Taurus.
Apple isn't 30 bit, as one example.

Lundberg02

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 04:48:10 pm »

To quote myself <I have a Dell U2413 and would like to set its 14 bit LUT using the DellUltraSharpCalibrationSolutionSetup.exe running in Win 7 under Fusion 7 on my Mac mini 2011, but I don't think it would be  fruitful. How can it work properly if the intermediate stage is only 24 bit? Maybe the software outputs 30 bit to the monitor for the XRite i1 Display Pro to read, but the monitor only gets a 24 bit version of that, so what is the point?>
It may be that the Dell Cal software causes the monitor to display 30 bit color without passing through the Mac video card and then the colorimeter can make a profile adequate for setting points scattered through the 14 bit LUT. I need to try to find a more detailed explanation of what actually is being done before trying this in Fusion 7. The Dell U2413 is 8 bit+FRC so the profile is an approximation at best.
Pages: [1]   Go Up