Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony A7 & Zeiss Loxia 50  (Read 4926 times)

Valdo

Sony A7 & Zeiss Loxia 50
« on: October 18, 2014, 03:16:31 am »

Hello from a new member,
I would like to know, from an owner, how precise is the manual focusing of above mentioned combination,
especially in street photography.

Thank you.

Telecaster

Re: Sony A7 & Zeiss Loxia 50
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 04:59:53 pm »

I can't comment on the feel of the Loxia 50's focusing mechanism since I don't own one. But manual focusing in general with the A7 series cameras is as precise as it gets. Just don't expect speedy high precision at wide apertures…the FE 55/1.8 and its AF will be a better choice in that regard. OTOH, if you're using the lens well stopped down you can zone focus quite quickly with very good precision using the camera's peaking feature.

(I do own a 50/2 Planar in M mount. The Loxia's optics are based on this lens.)

-Dave-

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 05:17:59 pm »

Hi,

My experience is from the Sony A99…

I would say that focusing using magnified live view is dead on, but slow.

I am mostly shooting landscapes and the new Loxia lenses are a great attraction to me. But there is an if

• I am not so impressed by the A7/A7r, I am waiting for next generation sensor/camera.
  • I want to see an independent evaluation of the Loxia lenses at Diglloyd and/or Photozone

So, if there is a new generation Sony around, with better resolution, first electronic curtain shutter,more megapixels, better battery capacity and reports on the Loxia lenses are good, I will be really interested.

Best regards
Erik
Hello from a new member,
I would like to know, from an owner, how precise is the manual focusing of above mentioned combination,
especially in street photography.

Thank you.

Erik Kaffehr

Valdo

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 06:31:21 pm »

@ Dave
thank you, I'll look on the 55/1,8

@ Erik
Diglloyd already reviewed the Loxia's, but I didn't purchased the access to reviews.
I also dont like the A7 by design, by features and by construction, but is there another alternative?
An option would be to wait the CES or the February exhibition (forgot the name)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 09:21:17 pm »

Hi,

Lloyd has not tested them yet, just published the Zeiss data sheet. But a review is coming pretty soon I guess.

I would expect Sony to have a couple of new cameras early next year.

Best regards
Erik

@ Erik
Diglloyd already reviewed the Loxia's, but I didn't purchased the access to reviews.
I also dont like the A7 by design, by features and by construction, but is there another alternative?
An option would be to wait the CES or the February exhibition (forgot the name)
Erik Kaffehr

Valdo

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 09:57:39 am »

I would expect Sony to have a couple of new cameras early next year.

Yes, sure, but to expect from Sony a rangefinder style camera with manual focus only dediceted to Loxia range is not realistic. But dreaming is allowed, especially when such camera exist.
Fuji was on this path, but for some reasons they deny the full frame, switched with XT-1 ito SLR style and last but not least they are expensive.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 11:36:03 am »

Hi,

When the A7/A7r arrived I noticed a few things.

• The cameras have seven (7) as designation. It is strong indication it was not intended as top of the line. Sony uses nine (9) for that.
  • The A7 used the same sensor that was used in the Alpha 99, but the A7r used simpler sensor.Higher resolving but less capability.
  • What the A7 has and the A7r lacks are phase detection AF on sensor and electronic first curtain.

So I essentially felt the A7 was OK, but the A7r was a cup half empty and half full.

At the same time, it was very clear at that time that Sony is working on a 54 MP sensor, possibly using a new design.

Now, phase detection is important for good AF-speed, although contrast sensing AF is in general more accurate. Ideally both system would be used in combination phase detection for speed and contrast sensing for precision. The first electronic curtain is important for:

• Response time, shutter doesn't need to be cycled before exposure.
  • Keeping shutter vibration down.
  • Reduces noise

So, the A7r's lack of advanced features made me to stand by, also, I wanted to see the new lens program.

So what do I expect next spring?

• A new sensor with first electronic curtain
  • 54 MP, hopefully
  • Electronic First Curtain
  • On sensor phase detection
  • A niner series model with larger battery capacity
  • An improved electronic viewfinder
  • Three switch selectable presets (seems to be a 'niner' feature)

I am quite interested in the Loxias, mostly because I don't use large apertures, bust also because they are intended for manual focusing. Manual focusing is not so good with AF-lenses. But, an efficient AF system is something I also see as essential as manual focus using magnified live view is not always feasible.

I don't know if Sony delivers on my expectations, but that is the stuff I am waiting for.

Best regards
Erik
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 11:53:15 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

JV

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 12:12:18 pm »

Hi Valdo,

If you haven't read it yet this might be an interesting article:
http://www.dearsusan.net/2014/10/10/zeiss-loxia-50-sony-fe-55-leica-summicron-50-great-normal-lens-shootout/

Best, Joris.
Pages: [1]   Go Up