Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: An interesting article, still worth reading  (Read 1623 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
An interesting article, still worth reading
« on: October 17, 2014, 02:52:41 pm »

Hi,

This article by Doug Peterson gives some insight into to development of the IQ backs, with focus on the IQ 250. It is interesting.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/the_phase_one_iq250_cmos_fully_realized.shtml

It also gives an insight into the choices a small company needs to make before embarking on a major project, but also about harvesting the benefits.

This is of course not about ART, but things like development, engineering hours and the image quality professor.

Best regards
Erik

update: link added.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 03:09:14 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Justinr

• Ink+images
Re: An interesting article, still worth reading
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 02:56:46 pm »

Hi,

This article by Doug Peterson gives some insight into to development of the IQ backs, with focus on the IQ 250. It is interesting.

It also gives an insight into the choices a small company needs to make before embarking on a major project, but also about harvesting the benefits.

This is of course not about ART, but things like development, engineering hours and the image quality professor.

Best regards
Erik

A link would be handy.  ;)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 03:05:36 pm »

A link would be handy.  ;)

complaints, criticisms, can't you guys stop picking at details?

;)

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Erik Kaffehr

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 03:11:11 pm »

complaints, criticisms, can't you guys stop picking at details?

;)

Edmund

Jeez no, we're photographers!  ;D

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 03:21:41 pm »

Hi,

And this one may be interesting, too!

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/iq260_story.shtml

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 07:04:58 am »

Interesting reading indeed Erik and well done to Doug for putting the articles together so clearly.

I suppose the overriding question is-  Why? To which the immediate answer is because there is the insatiable human desire to push the boundaries and produce something that is the very best irrespective of cost. As cars are always the default machine to compare anything with it is the Bugatti Veyron of the camera world and is an achievement that should be celebrated for that reason alone, but will it's practical use ever extend beyond a very small circle of perfectionists that can afford it? Even Phase One don't pretend that it will, so I suppose we must admire it from the sidelines knowing that even if we could buy one tomorrow to use in our regular work, any images produced will suffer during the process of making that image available to humankind via print or web or whatever. It's a wonderful device, but probably like the super models it will be used to capture, it will remain beyond the reasonable expectations for most of us for many years hence.  

Go Go

• New York Editorial Photographer
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 04:33:53 pm »

Just go try to rent a Bugatti Veyron, I can take the F train 3 stops and rent a Phase or Hasselblad in 20 minutes!
All it takes is an Amex card, try that with the Bugatti!

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 12:29:38 am »

Hi,

The reason I find it interesting is that it sheds some light on the amount of work involved. It may also explain why Phase One could have a CMOS camera so well working as early as they did. The circuitry for supporting the new back was already there.

Naturally, all companies making digital cameras have to do a similar development, so Phase One is not exactly alone. I would also add, that doing what in camera processors do and doing on battery power is impressive. My camera can produce 24 MP JPEGS at 6 frames per second, the Apple Pro 2009 model I have under my desk takes 9s per frame, so my in camera processing is 54 times faster than my deskside computer with four cores and using 200W. Of course, my computer is a bit dated :-)

Best regards
Erik

Best regards
Erik

Interesting reading indeed Erik and well done to Doug for putting the articles together so clearly.

I suppose the overriding question is-  Why? To which the immediate answer is because there is the insatiable human desire to push the boundaries and produce something that is the very best irrespective of cost. As cars are always the default machine to compare anything with it is the Bugatti Veyron of the camera world and is an achievement that should be celebrated for that reason alone, but will it's practical use ever extend beyond a very small circle of perfectionists that can afford it? Even Phase One don't pretend that it will, so I suppose we must admire it from the sidelines knowing that even if we could buy one tomorrow to use in our regular work, any images produced will suffer during the process of making that image available to humankind via print or web or whatever. It's a wonderful device, but probably like the super models it will be used to capture, it will remain beyond the reasonable expectations for most of us for many years hence.  
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up