Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eizo CG 277? Difference to 4k?  (Read 5447 times)

chbla

Eizo CG 277? Difference to 4k?
« on: October 17, 2014, 03:47:06 am »

Hi there,

I wanted to buy the Eizo CG 277. However, since more and more 4k Monitors are coming out (although the quality is really not there yet)
and with apple releasing the 5k Monitor, I wonder if I should still buy it.

I'm unsure whether or not the 4k on a 27" screen to work on (not to watch movies or something else) are really necessary.
And I am sure that a 4k display from Eizo/Nec will take some more time, and will surely be even more expensive.

But I would regret it if there is an affordable 4k Monitor right around the corner which really makes a difference, and I just bought the CG 277...

What would you do? :)

chbla

Re: Eizo CG 277? Difference to 4k?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 10:26:14 am »

Answered my own question: http://carltonbale.com/does-4k-resolution-matter/
So 27" with 4k is at the border, I would notice it if I sat closer than 2 feet.

I think it is not worth it, and everything would be hard to read unless scaled differently..

Gary Ferguson

• http://
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 10:45:49 am »

I don't want to open a giant can of worms, but the statement that you have to be closer than 2 feet to see any difference with a 27" screen is based on an assumption about the visual acuity of the human eye, and let's just say that assumption isn't universally accepted.

I've seen both still and moving images 4k side by side versus 1080 and, although they weren't on 27" monitors, I came away feeling that 4K delivered an advantage even though it was beyond the theoretical visual acuity limits. However, I should also say that the advantage was very very small, and furthermore it's probably more relevant to gamers or movie viewers than to still image editors.

For still image editing I'd suggest colour fidelity, wide gamuts, calibration, consistency right across the screen and other factors all trump absolute resolution, so I'd still be inclined to go with the Eizo, just not for the reasons you suggest!

Incidentally, I'm also wrestling with a monitor upgrade, but one factor I'm unsure about is the practicality of using a 4k screen for general web browsing? However all things considered right now, like you, I'm veering towards the CG276 or CG277, so if we're wrong at least we'll be wrong together!

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 10:56:08 am »

chbla

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 11:15:08 am »

Thanks Gary, I agree that you have to see it in reality to compare, my explanation is of course only theoretical.

However, I think one has to be careful, I also compared a 4k to a full HD screen, and could see a difference
when standing far enough away. The difference was not caused by the resolution but simply because the
panel was more advanced, had better colors, etc.

So if one would compare it, it should be done in a way that only compares resolution..

I think I will go with the CG277 anyway, otherwise I could wait forever as well.
I think the difference won't be so huge. My laptop has a way too large resolution for
it's small screen, and since at 27" it's right at the border for 4k to be noticeable, it would result in the same problem on such a monitor.
Thus I prefer staying on the 2k side..

I don't want to open a giant can of worms, but the statement that you have to be closer than 2 feet to see any difference with a 27" screen is based on an assumption about the visual acuity of the human eye, and let's just say that assumption isn't universally accepted.

I've seen both still and moving images 4k side by side versus 1080 and, although they weren't on 27" monitors, I came away feeling that 4K delivered an advantage even though it was beyond the theoretical visual acuity limits. However, I should also say that the advantage was very very small, and furthermore it's probably more relevant to gamers or movie viewers than to still image editors.

For still image editing I'd suggest colour fidelity, wide gamuts, calibration, consistency right across the screen and other factors all trump absolute resolution, so I'd still be inclined to go with the Eizo, just not for the reasons you suggest!

Incidentally, I'm also wrestling with a monitor upgrade, but one factor I'm unsure about is the practicality of using a 4k screen for general web browsing? However all things considered right now, like you, I'm veering towards the CG276 or CG277, so if we're wrong at least we'll be wrong together!

jduncan

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 09:54:32 am »

Hi there,

I wanted to buy the Eizo CG 277. However, since more and more 4k Monitors are coming out (although the quality is really not there yet)
and with apple releasing the 5k Monitor, I wonder if I should still buy it.

I'm unsure whether or not the 4k on a 27" screen to work on (not to watch movies or something else) are really necessary.
And I am sure that a 4k display from Eizo/Nec will take some more time, and will surely be even more expensive.

But I would regret it if there is an affordable 4k Monitor right around the corner which really makes a difference, and I just bought the CG 277...

What would you do? :)

You don't have to peek for much longer, both NEC and Eizo are coming with new 4K monitors:

http://www.eizoglobal.com/products/coloredge/cg318-4k/index.html

english is not my first language, an I k

chbla

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 01:38:43 pm »

I bought the CG 277 already, and it's awesome :)

The 4k Monitor is a little bit over my spending limit so I'm fine with it, and 27" is more than big enough for a desktop
Pages: [1]   Go Up