Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rotatrim Master Cut II - Scratching Prints  (Read 1721 times)

Kanvas Keepsakes

Rotatrim Master Cut II - Scratching Prints
« on: October 17, 2014, 12:18:54 am »

Hey guys got a little bit of an issue and hope someone can help me out.  I'm currently printing on Lexjet's Metallic paper.  I figured it was easier to purchase a Rotatrim (which I found used on Ebay for $125) instead of cutting photo's with a yard stick and blade.  It seems like when I slide the sheet through the plastic part ready to cut, it comes out the other side very lightly scratched.  If I hold it to the light, I can see hairline scratches in certain areas.  This is my first Rotatrim so not sure if it's normal for paper to touch plastic guide.  I guess I'm going to go back to the ruler and blade for now. 

Jeff-Grant

• http://www.jeff-grant.com
Re: Rotatrim Master Cut II - Scratching Prints
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 12:32:36 am »

Isn't that sort of fragility the curse of metallic paper? The stuff that I use has dire warnings about handling.
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

jferrari

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 12:34:51 am »

I'm assuming that you've allowed appropriate drying time. Are there any small burrs along the edge of the plastic piece?    - Jim
Nothing changes until something changes.

Alto

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 06:52:57 am »

Hi

After using Roratrims for the past 25 odd years not had them scratch anything but the plastic strip could have dirt underneath or be damaged .
You said you got it second hand so check the strip its only held on by 2 screws and replacements can be obtained.
Are you pushing the head all the way to the RHS when inserting the paper ?? as this makes it easier , also put another piece of paper over the top of the artwork and trim both at the same time.

Hope that helps

Happy Trimming

Jon

howardm

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 07:10:34 am »

I've seen that on my Rotatrim w/ fragile papers.

0. lift the plastic piece *slightlyI in the middle and slide the paper in and then push it over to the paper guide.
1. remove the plastic strip and clean it (it's just 2 screws)
2. when reinstalling, put 1-2 *thin* small washers under the screws, under the plastic to raise it a tiny amount
3. cover your paper w/ a spare piece of sacrificial interleaving tissue and cut them at the same time.

Iluvmycam

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 09:07:23 am »

I'm assuming that you've allowed appropriate drying time. Are there any small burrs along the edge of the plastic piece?    - Jim

Yes, good point. One of my used trimmers needed a small shim under the plastic. Other than that they are the BEST!

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 04:54:48 pm »

Thanks for all the pointers, guys.  Adding washers after a thorough cleaning of plastic guide.  Don't know what I'd do if I didn't have this knowledge from the experts available.  Much appreciated, gentlemen. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up