Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Applecare worth it for a MacBook Pro?  (Read 6701 times)

David S

Is Applecare worth it for a MacBook Pro?
« on: October 16, 2014, 08:27:34 am »

Needing to replace an older MacBook Pro and Applecare will add 15% to the cost. In 30 years of using Macs I have never had a repair done using Applecare. Is it really worth it or should I just save the money?

Thanks,

Dave S

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
Re: Is Applecare worth it for a MacBook Pro?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 10:15:15 am »

My answer is yes, especially for notebooks and portable devices.  I have a MacBook Pro and the video / thunderbolt port went on it.   In the laptop went and in 4 days it was back all fixed.  I have heard others who have had issues with displays and such and Apple Care was a no questions asked repair.  It's a gamble like any insurance but on expensive purchases that see a lot of hard use it is a good idea.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 10:24:25 am »

Absolutely without a doubt get Applecare! It has saved me money many times over the years. Always with laptops!
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

jsiva

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 06:14:00 pm »

Absolutely.  The way apple prices it, the more expensive the laptop, the easier to justify, but still great value.  It pretty much guarantees that you'll have a usable laptop for 3 years.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 06:34:08 pm »

Is it really worth it or should I just save the money?

I habitually get it for laptops, iPads and iPhones but not really for towers.

And I've saved a lot on repairs/replacements over the years.

David S

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 03:28:23 pm »

Thanks to all,

My credit card does offer the 1 year extra coverage which would help. The machine isn't for me but my wife and she doesn't get into heavy use but does use it daily for a couple of hours. As was pointed out, we don't have to buy the Applecare at purchase which means the cost can be delayed which makes 'tax' sense.

Again thanks to all,

Dave S

BradSmith

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 03:35:38 pm »

I had it for my 2009 MacPro Tower.  I had two repairs done with it.  So that more than paid for the cost.

But so far, no one has mentioned how very useful the telephone support is that comes with Applecare for when you're having problems.  Two years ago, out of nowhere, I had a really screwy series of problems with Mail, and the regular telephone help line people quickly passed me on to a full time Mail support person.  He was fantastic.  Talked me through an interative set of potential solutions to the problem over a three week period of time.  Even gave me his direct phone # to get back to him personally to continue trying to resolve the problem.  He finally got it.  That software telephone support alone was easily worth the cost to me.

Brad

martin archer-shee

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 06:15:51 pm »

Last year I got a MacBook Pro and decided because of the complicated construction (basicall most parts are all but cemented in) I would buy the protection. What I did learn is that there a number of people and companies selling Applecare and a bit of shopping paid off. There are E#bay sellers and even major photo companies. In my case a MAJOR photo company was the best bet and delivered in a few days.
Insurance is a betting system and usually a bet you hope to lose. Think life insurance...

Peace of mind is what you are purchasing. Normally I skip past these but for the Macbook Pro I am happy I have it. Still hoping I lose the bet.

Martin :)

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 01:48:19 am »

Agree with all the above. A major New York dealer sells it at a discount. I now get mine from them instead of directly from Apple. It's potentially worth it for both expensive items, which defines Apple products despite their documented reliability.

David S

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 08:37:47 am »

Unfortunately I am in Canada so great USA deals won't work so I have to go with the full cost Apple deal. I have checked with several dealers and they all say the same thing.

Dave S

bjanes

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 03:50:57 pm »

Agree with all the above. A major New York dealer sells it at a discount. I now get mine from them instead of directly from Apple. It's potentially worth it for both expensive items, which defines Apple products despite their documented reliability.

Eric,

Thanks very much for this information.

Applecare for the MacBookPro costs $349 from the Apple store and $174 from B&H. That is a big difference. Am I interpreting this correctly--buy from B&H at half price? Is there some catch?

Bill

martin archer-shee

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 05:49:25 pm »

David S I have to disagree. If you have the part/model number for your unit you can probably find a reseller via EBay. I too am from Canada, but must admit I bought my mBP in the States while on an extended trip. There was a seller in Australia for the model but I bought from a big name US company. The coverage is still good even as I am back home.

Worth doing a bit of hunting. I do not know if the big name US company can sell the Mac insurance to Canadians directly.

Martin

David S

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 06:16:54 pm »

Have you actually had a claim accepted using a non-Canadian policy?

Dave S

martin archer-shee

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 06:47:51 pm »

Hi David S

No I have not had a claim. Actually like all insurance policies, I am hoping to lose the bet.

Actually I believe the Applecare is for a specific product ( by model number) so if the policy and the product match there is a contract. It would be interesting to hear from someone who has made a claim.

Martin

dseelig

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 10:53:59 pm »

I have it and for the last macbook pro I ahd it saved me over 400 bucks logic board and battery both went out
David

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2014, 11:10:37 am »

I've had Applecare pay off numerous times. My Mac Pro G5 had both the logic board and the power supply fail with about two weeks left on the Applecare warranty. Apple paid a local repair person to come to my studio and replace both, which would have cost me about $1200 w/o the contract. My wife's Macbook Air just dropped stone cold dead one night, a few weeks after the normal 1 year warranty expired. Applecare paid for a new motherboard. Applecare paid for a new monitor on my 17-inch Macbook Pro when it started to fail after a couple of years of use.

We buy a lot of Macs in our office, and always buy the Applecare warranty. It's just considered part of the purchase price.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

gdh

• https://www.facebook.com/Gallery833-Fine-Art-in-Redding-160225810674500/
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2014, 01:41:52 pm »

"I normally take out Applecare just before the 12 month warranty ends."

Why wait?  It doesn't extend the time,  AC starts from the day of purchase of the devise not the protection. Also, by buying it with the devise, you get expedited service and replacement, even to the extent of them sending someone from out of the area if no one in your area is capable or available.
Pages: [1]   Go Up