Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon upgrade decision  (Read 24597 times)

Torbjörn Tapani

Re:
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 03:00:37 pm »

Problem with Nikon is they are designing cameras to hit price points and not cannibalise higher spec models. Maybe the 7d2 and the mirrorless competition could persuade them to build that D300 replacement.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Nikon upgrade decision
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2014, 05:08:03 am »

Bernard, is this using the D810 Profile or the IQ250 Profile?

I used to use IQ250 profiles for my D800, but as of C1 Pro 8 I use the native D810 profiles for the D810.

Cheers,
Bernard

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2014, 06:03:44 pm »

I used to use IQ250 profiles for my D800, but as of C1 Pro 8 I use the native D810 profiles for the D810.

Cheers,
Bernard

Yes, the C1 native D810 profile is much better than what Phase did for the D800/e.  I also use the Phase IQ250 and Credo 50 profiles on my d800e shots. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Chris Livsey

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2014, 04:54:58 pm »

Bernard,Paul, Appreciated. The introduction of the 810 has released a flood of the previous models, regretably my Mac requires replacing to run C1 v8, so updating is doubly expensive. Looks like I'm better off, financially, being a generation back. I'm enjoying my H1 at the moment with film backs with newly arrived CF/ H adapter but putting a digital back on looks less attractive especially as I have a P20 for the V still. Too many cameras and choices.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2014, 09:33:14 pm »

Chris

Glad to help. So far I am very impressed by the D810. I am able to pull 3 to 3.25 stops of exposure with very clean shadows. Details are better with less sharpening needed. Extremely clean at base ISO of 64. I also am finding that the higher ISO ranges are better than my D800e especially on long series of stacked exposures 1.5 to 2 hours.

It's an impressive upgrade over the D800 family.  I can only imagine how the IQ250 and Credo 50 images look.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

armand

• Photos
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2014, 08:45:11 pm »

I'm still eying that D750 with the kit (while on sale) with few primes (85 1.8, 50 1.4, +/- 28 1.8, 20 1.8 or maybe 35 1.8, with some thoughts of 135 2.0).
Or I could just get the 56 1.2 for my X-T1.

As you can see I'm starting to has severe GAS  :P Question is for those who have both how much do you see a difference in output?
I know I will regain faster autofocus and some higher ISO quality.

One of the reasons is that I hate dealing with X-Trans in LR and I'm too lazy moving to something else.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2014, 09:56:32 am »

Just an update on my upgrade.

I wandered into my local camera shop, just for a look at their used stock. Whilst chatting with one of the guys there, he mentioned that they'd had three Nikon D800s direct from Nikon, ex-demo stock, and had one left. I had a look - perfect condition, with a 6-month Nikon UK warranty, and at a price I couldn't resist - £1299. I've seen well-used copies go for considerably more on ebay. So I now have a Nikon D800. Job done.

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2014, 10:47:51 am »

Just an update on my upgrade.

I wandered into my local camera shop, just for a look at their used stock. Whilst chatting with one of the guys there, he mentioned that they'd had three Nikon D800s direct from Nikon, ex-demo stock, and had one left. I had a look - perfect condition, with a 6-month Nikon UK warranty, and at a price I couldn't resist - £1299. I've seen well-used copies go for considerably more on ebay. So I now have a Nikon D800. Job done.

Enjoy it Bill. I think you might spend quite a lot of time being amazed at what your new camera can do.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2014, 11:21:48 am »

I hope so

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2014, 10:37:17 am »

The D750 will be a significant upgrade in image quality and capabilities for you. The tilting monitor is a plus.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2014, 10:59:35 am »

Ellis, I've no doubt it would, but I've now got a D800, which is also a significant upgrade on the D700

dwswager

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2014, 09:20:40 pm »

Holy cow, now that I have a D810, all I can say is it is a whole different animal than the D800/D800e.   The Expeed 4 processor, double sized buffer, omission of OLPF and electronic front curtain shutter just starts to touch on the differences that make this a major upgrade.

Here is the official Nikon Comparison, but there are dozens of other small changes that make the D810 into a camera that could have been called the D900.

Dan Wells

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2014, 09:56:47 pm »

Depending on what your lens investment is, another consideration might be the upcoming Sony A9 - the specs look amazing (including a spectacular image stabilization system). I actually like the 24-70 Sony Zeiss f4 on an A7r substantially better than the 24-70 f2.8 Nikkor on a D800e (never tried a D810). It's a newer system, without the lens choices of Nikon, but Sony has been very aggressive of late - I expect the ~50 MP A9 with world-class stabilization will be priced right around the D810, but haven't seen any real pricing on the (January release) Sony. If you have long Nikon AF-S VR telephotos, the Sony is probably cost-prohibitive (there's no adapter that preserves fast AF, and Sony doesn't have a good selection of long glass even if switching were affordable), but if your lens investment is more modest, I wouldn't buy anything at the top end until we see how aggressive a game Mr. Sony plays.

Dan

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2014, 01:14:26 am »

...make the D810 into a camera that could have been called the D900.

Indeed, my personnal feeling remains that the D800 -> D810 upgrade is the largest change in real world experience/performance I have seen since going from D2x to D3.

Now, if nikon hadn't messed up their new body naming convention release by starting with a D610 that was basically just a bug fix of the D600, it would have been easier to consider the x10 naming scheme as having no implication on the importance of the upgrade. ;)

Makes no difference for me, but Nikon marketing is a total disaster.  ;D

Cheers,
Bernard

dwswager

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2014, 10:25:39 am »

Makes no difference for me, but Nikon marketing is a total disaster.  ;D

I wish they would drop the "enthusiast" line and make 2 body styles:  Consumer and pro.  I'm currently shooting the D810 and D7100 (Nikon's best DX camera which in itself is a crime) and it is annoying that they have different operating setups.  Why would you want to put an artificial barrier to you enthusiasts upgrading to a more expensive camera?  I actually think in naming, Canon did it right.  You own a 7D and want an upgrade to that camera, you buy a 7DmkII!  Brilliant!

Some Guy

« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2014, 12:06:53 pm »

For anyone who has gone from the D800/800E to the D810, do you see a better focus accuracy in the auto-focus system than the prior?

Any back-focus issues?

Tia.

SG

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2014, 08:13:28 pm »

Bill, for what's it worth I must admit after recommending the D750 and making other statements indicating I was staying with my D800, I tossed in the towel and ordered a D810. The current instant $300 rebate at B&H took me over the edge. Too many people  I interact with online and respect have made the upgrade and their comments resonated with me and certain frustrations I had with the D800. Since I primarily use the Nikon for landscape photography on a tripod and use the best lenses it just seemed the logical thing to do.

dwswager

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2014, 01:13:21 pm »

... The current instant $300 rebate at B&H took me over the edge.

Thanks for this.  I looked and Nikon sale where the price is actually dropped $300 on the D810.  Since my wife bought it for me for Christmas, I contacted Amazon and they credited her account $300.  SWEET!

Deardorff

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2015, 01:00:19 am »

People don't complain down the road about buying too much quality.

Buy the D810.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2015, 05:59:25 am »

As I said a while back, I got a good deal on a D800. That'll have to do for the next few years, lottery win not withstanding
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up