Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Iceland November - Looking for photographers for MultiDay photo tour  (Read 2738 times)

yogesharora

Hi

I am planning a trip to Iceland from Nov15-Nov29 with my wife who also likes photography. I am an amateur landscape photographer and and i am planning to take a multi day photo tour from http://icelandaurora.com/ . I would be interested in visiting various places like Golden Circle, South Coast , Snaefellsness Peninsula, Jokulsarlon and other locations.

I am looking for other interested photographers so that we can share the cost of the tour.

Let me know if any one is interested.

Yogesh
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 08:51:24 pm by yogesharora »

yogesharora

Re: Iceland November - Looking for photographers for MultiDay photo tour
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 09:44:56 am »

Some more details about what i am planning.

I am planning to do 5 day tour(i would also consider a bit shorter tour) between Nov15-Nov29. I think we would be able to cover West/Southwest Iceland in that time.

The tour would be done through icelandaurora. The cost of the tour would be $4000(shared between 4 ppl). Accommodations and food would be extra. We will have to book our own Accommodation. I am looking for 2 more persons to join the tour.

Yogesh

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 10:02:07 am »

If participants have to pay extra for their travel, accommodation and food, what exactly is the "tour" providing that they could not do for themselves free of charge? (or for the cost of hiring a car from SadCars in Reykjavik?)
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

yogesharora

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 10:12:01 am »

They would offer their experience in going to right locations at the right time.  I think there is no substitute for at location experience. This is my first time there and i do not want to come back empty handed.

I also do not have any experience in driving myself in winter conditions. So i would be very much dependent on them driving us around in a 4*4.

That being said i am also open to renting a car with somebody who already has some experience driving in winter experience.

Yogesh

Jglaser757

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 06:37:42 am »

I used Nature explorer.

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 07:13:12 am »

They would offer their experience in going to right locations at the right time.  I think there is no substitute for at location experience.

Yogesh

That is just so, so sad. Next you will be wanting GPS co-ordinates for the actual tripod holes. Why merely tread where others have trod before, rather than adding your own personal exploration into your photography?

Iceland is an eminently explorable country and exceptionally manageable in terms of distances.

You say that you "think there is no substitute for at location experience". I would seriously suggest that there is no substitute for exploring locations on your own and bringing home images that are truly yours - rather than containing a heavy contribution from a commercial "guide". There can simply be no comparison in terms of personal satisfaction.

At least do yourself one favour. If you genuinely lack the self-confidence to do your own thing this time round, at least promise yourself that you will return a year later and use the knowledge gained this time to prepare you for a hugely more satisfying experience next trip.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

Jglaser757

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 10:35:39 pm »

My friend and I took a workshop with Rocky Mountain reflections then spent five days exploring Vik, jokularson(sp) lagoon and black sand beach. Suffered threw a massive windstorm and managed to survive. If and when I go back, i would not recommend a tour guide for the southern part. ITs too easy and basic. There is only one spot at the shoreline in VIK that is off limits but has no signs up. There are no mile long walks in the areas I listed either. And they are iconic areas. The lagoon and black sand beach are NOOOO secret and its all about the weather. And the roads are not bad. Now, i we didnt venture to areas that needed huge tires or 4 wheel drive even though we had an SUV. And if you get lost in the forest, just stand up. ITs also one of the safest places in the whole world.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 04:43:49 am »

ITs also one of the safest places in the whole world.
Low crime isn't the same as being a 'safe place'.
The roads aren't especially safe, especially so if you're inexperienced at driving in winter conditions.

Whilst I entirely agree with PhotoEsosse that you risk just taking the same old clichéd images as everyone else has by going with a tour guide, local knowledge and experience could greatly help getting you safely to some reliable locations for photographing the aurora for example.
Hiring an experienced photographer as a guide might also be worth paying for the tuition as well.
The other factor is that in November there's going to be precious little daylight, so making the most of it will be important. If there's no aurora to photograph there's not a lot else to photograph at night in the rain.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 04:45:36 am by Rhossydd »

chez

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 03:56:25 pm »

That is just so, so sad. Next you will be wanting GPS co-ordinates for the actual tripod holes. Why merely tread where others have trod before, rather than adding your own personal exploration into your photography?

Iceland is an eminently explorable country and exceptionally manageable in terms of distances.

You say that you "think there is no substitute for at location experience". I would seriously suggest that there is no substitute for exploring locations on your own and bringing home images that are truly yours - rather than containing a heavy contribution from a commercial "guide". There can simply be no comparison in terms of personal satisfaction.

At least do yourself one favour. If you genuinely lack the self-confidence to do your own thing this time round, at least promise yourself that you will return a year later and use the knowledge gained this time to prepare you for a hugely more satisfying experience next trip.

I don't know what it's like  in Iceland...never been  there, but I can tell you for sure that if I were guiding you through the Canadian Rockies, I can get you into  some  amazing spots 99.9% of the  people who visit  the  Rockies  won't even know they existed. It pays to have this  knowledge rather than mindlessly looking on your  own as what I see of  photos  from many photographers that look on their  own  through the Rockies is  the same old shots everyone else gets because they can be found on the maps and guide  books  that you can purchase. The real  hidden gems are just that, hidden and require local knowledge to get to them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up