Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR bug  (Read 2495 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
LR bug
« on: October 14, 2014, 03:34:58 pm »

When I am about to import photos, I sometimes need to create a new folder to receive them. I do so within LR, but the new folder does not show up in the list of destination folders on the right side of the import screen. Windows Explorer verifies that it has indeed been created, and quitting and restarting LR gets it to show. But, it should show in LR right away, no? Seems like a minor bug that needs fixing.

Simon Garrett

Re: LR bug
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 03:42:38 pm »

When I am about to import photos, I sometimes need to create a new folder to receive them. I do so within LR, but the new folder does not show up in the list of destination folders on the right side of the import screen. Windows Explorer verifies that it has indeed been created, and quitting and restarting LR gets it to show. But, it should show in LR right away, no? Seems like a minor bug that needs fixing.

If I try to create a new folder while importing, as part of the import dialog, then I get what you describe.  I can't see the folder I've just created.  Rather silly, as that's the logical place and time to create a new folder.

It works if I create a new folder from Library view (right-click the folder you want as the parent, and chose "create folder inside...").  But that means I have to do it in two steps.  I think it's always been like that.  Not a bug, perhaps, but an irritating feature.  
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 03:45:25 pm by Simon Garrett »

jrsforums

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 04:05:05 pm »

One of the many reasons I use Downloader Pro (Windows only).
John

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 08:23:29 pm »

All these years of using LR (Mac) and I can't say I've ever seen this. Strange.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Richowens

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 08:55:27 pm »

It is only in LR5.x and Windows.

Rich

OnyimBob

• http://
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 09:19:40 pm »

Wrong - I use a macbook and it has always been thus! I just live with it - usually create the new folder in Finder before starting LR.
Bob.
Bob Munro.
[url=http://www.waterholesgue

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 09:52:52 pm »

A workaround is to do it from the import dialogue:

- Create the folder in the Import dialogue
- Click on the newly created folder in the "Source" panel in the left hand side

The new folder appears now in the "Destination" panel

- Re-select the folder with the photos to be imported in the "Source" panel.

Simon Garrett

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 03:21:43 am »

As Francisco says, no problem creating the folder in Lightroom, but (in the Windows version, at least) if you try to do it from within the import dialogue then you can't see the new folder until you exit the import dialogue and go in again.  

Lightroom simply omits to update the folder list view in the import dialogue if you create another folder. 

Thinking about it: this is a bug.  You can't really call it a feature. 

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 04:13:27 am »

Hi,

Maybe I did not explain myself clearly, but there is no need to exit the import dialogue. (and I'm using Windows 7)
The "Destination" and "Source" panels are in the import dialogue

Regards

mbaginy

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 05:17:18 am »

Lightroom has it's quircks.  When I import to my iMac with the SD card from my X-Pro1, the import window opens as it should.  Following that import, I remove the SD card and insert the CF card from my 5D and nothing happens.  I need to open the import dialog manually.  By the way, the same phenomenon happens why I import from the CF card first.

Sometimes during import, I simply can't open one of the existing folders into which I want to save the images.  I need to click through other folders, then return to the (sub) folder I actually want and the routine functions fine.

The first times I imported from the SD card of my X-Pro1 it didn't show all the photos I had actually taken.  Inserting the card once showed 100 images, inserting it a second time suddenly showed a different number - sometimes more, sometimes less.  Maybe I had lost images because I wasn't aware of this behavior.  I only noticed it when I was searchign for a particular image and couldn't find it for import!  Somehow this seems to have been fixed - either by Fujifilm or Adobe.  I haven't noticed this anymore.

So LR isn't perfect.  And Macs aren't perfect.  I've found it helpful to actually power down my iMac and MacBooks at the end of the day.  Everything seems to function far smoother the next time I use them.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 09:08:55 am »

It is only in LR5.x and Windows.

Rich

No, it is on the Mac too, but when a new folder is created and selected LR will import into that folder even thoigh it does not show in the folder list in the Import panel. Simple bug that the list is not refreshed.

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 10:15:06 am »

As Francisco says, no problem creating the folder in Lightroom, but (in the Windows version, at least) if you try to do it from within the import dialogue then you can't see the new folder until you exit the import dialogue and go in again.  

Lightroom simply omits to update the folder list view in the import dialogue if you create another folder. 

Thinking about it: this is a bug.  You can't really call it a feature. 

That sums it up rather neatly (and it is the same for both PCs and Macs).

I have never found it to be an irritation but, equally, can't see any reason why Adobe should not try to fix it in the next release.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

allegretto

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2014, 07:46:10 pm »

On my MBP depending how you set up your panes, but on one side or the other in the Import mode there is a menu marked "Destination"

Open it and name the folder/subfolder and the Drive you want it on. It will default to date, which I find useful. Anything else is done with keywords.Then just import. It will appear instantly on your Folders menu

Can't speak for Win-doze but I do not see why it would be different. But PC's are known for being quite lazy unless you kick them

Problem solved

Edit; my version actually immediately goes to Library mode as it's importing so it shows up right away
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 07:51:23 pm by allegretto »
Pages: [1]   Go Up