Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrading CS3  (Read 856 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Upgrading CS3
« on: October 13, 2014, 10:33:11 am »

I found that to upgrade from CS3 to CS6 it would cost over $300.00 so was wondering if going the CC route at $9.99 a month would be the best deal?
Mike

Eyeball

Re: Upgrading CS3
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 11:24:18 am »

Are you sure that you can even get an upgrade that will qualify with CS3?  The Adobe site seems to imply that only CS5 will qualify for an upgrade to CS6.

Beyond that it really comes down to whether you are ready to jump into Adobe's rental plan now or put it off for as long as possible.

$10/month for PS and LR is probably reasonable if the price stays relatively close to that and the feature upgrades keep coming out regularly and stay relevant.  Just realize that if you stop paying, you lose access to most of the software.  At that point you would need to go back to your CS3 or switch to something else.

If you don't like having only a rental alternative, then sending a message by not subscribing to the rental model might be a consideration but that's up to you.

Rick Popham

• http://
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 12:56:00 pm »

I found that to upgrade from CS3 to CS6 it would cost over $300.00 so was wondering if going the CC route at $9.99 a month would be the best deal?
Mike

I'm not sure about that $300 upgrade.  Adobe closed the upgrade price from anything but CS5 at the end of Dec. 2012, so you'd have to pony up for a full version of CS6 -- which is around $700 -- they REALLY want you to subscribe.  You certainly would have to pay less up front for the CC plan.  Whether it's the best deal for you is something only you can answer.

I have a perpetual license for CS6, and I also subscribed to the Photography Plan for a year.  I haven't exactly been overwhelmed by the new features that have been introduced (the mobile stuff is completely meaningless for me), and the update to CC 2014 came with a Photomerge bug that took them months to address.  I was unhappy with the move to subscription and remain unconvinced that it's to anyone's benefit but Adobes. 

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 01:34:34 pm »

So far, so good with the subscription.

When the update became CC2014, I put off cutting-over until now so that I could slowly bring my plug-ins and actions and then take the time to set it up properly. Now that it is done, it seems to work just fine and I really like the auto alignment guides since I also use PS for design and composites.

I still have CS6 and older on my system but finding I need them little other than as a back-up to use if circumstances require it. I still use CS6 on my Macbook since I only use that for demos and presentations a few times a year and it is becoming an antique anyway.

If you don't ever plan to upgrade your digital cameras, computers, etc. and CS3 does the job an you are happy with the results, why not keep using it until the very end? However, if you get a new computer with a newer OS, etc., you will need to make the leap to the newer tech. It's just the price we pay in working as pioneers and slaves to the tech we now use for our craft.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up