Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is the Epson 3880 a disposable printer?  (Read 4019 times)

Some Guy

Is the Epson 3880 a disposable printer?
« on: October 12, 2014, 10:42:15 pm »

Printer really began making noise going side to side on some new Canson Discovery sample pack paper.  Sounded like horse galloping across the paper.  Platen was set to Wide and #5 for paper.

I cancelled the print job and the paper spit out.  I tried another set to Widest at the printer menu and it tore it up too.

It actually has a cut mark about 1/4 inch in the long edge near the side the print head rest (right).  It is dug up along that cut too.  There is also a white area where it appears the head scratched the lengthwise middle of the print about every two inches apart, maybe the roller area.

After the above, it even tore up a sheet of thin typing paper in a nozzle check after the above.

I can't find anything in the path, and cleaned off the wiper on the right as it had a lot of the white papers "cut dust" built up on it.

It did have a really bad incident with the Breathing Color Metallic Silverada where it actually pushed the paper sideways a bit on an edge strike due to its curl, but this sample pack was very flat cut paper and not much different than Silver Rag that goes through it.

The thing is about two years old so maybe it is shot.  It's had a lot of use and now suddenly is scratching the paper surface and cutting into it.   I don't know if these things are repairable?  We have no local Epson service center and shipping the thing would be expensive too.

SG

jrsforums

Re: Is the Epson 3880 a disposable printer?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 06:18:08 am »

Try adjusting paper thickness.
John

felix5616

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 10:42:24 am »

Once out of warranty most printers are disposable, sad but true.

Some Guy

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 10:59:38 am »

Try adjusting paper thickness.

Did that.  Set it to "Widest" and it's still making a heck of a sound as it passes over paper.  Number in Paper Configuration panel set to 5 and also tried 9.  No joy.

I'll attach an image of what it looks like.  I use Qimage Ultimate and it has the red Kill button so it stopped printing and ejected mid-way, hence the fade-out.

You can see the "cut" and paper being fluffed-up on the left edge where it seems to dig in there for some reason.  Then what appear to be the head rubbing the ink off the area where the roller are located.

I can feed it through the front slot and it will print, just it sizes the image down a bit on the edges.  Also, if I keep my finger pressed against the front of the carriaage as it prints (have to keep moving quick) I can stop the noise and appears to pritn well.  If I take my finger off it, then it hits.  Looks like the head has some slant ability to it (swings out to the front a bit from the bottom rail.

I did find a service manual online for the 3800, and it appears there could be a couple of motors that control the platen and another for the head height too.  Thing is a builders nightmare to get into.  I can see deep impressions on the back of the paper where the rollers are (and where the whitest streak are in the face of the image too.).

I see in the LCD menu it shows about 1,300 images printed and about 1,200ml of ink.  Dunno what that ink consumption is if it is the entire since day-one, or since Maintenance tank changes or what.  Odd that the $1,300 is about the cost of the printer too so maybe $1 per print just for the unit?

SG
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 11:01:59 am by Some Guy »

Some Guy

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 12:48:32 pm »

Once out of warranty most printers are disposable, sad but true.

I'm getting that feeling now too.  Epson service center has the image and said it could be head damage too with the markings.  Haven't told me a price yet on a head change-out as I had to answer a question on the settings.

Local pro shop got some quote of $2,200 for their Epson 7900 (I think?) with some plugged nozzles that appeared over a 3 day weekend.  Pump went out too, and then some parts were not available either due to age or something.  They bought a new 9900 so maybe these thing are indeed throw-aways.  I've read the stuff about 3-5 years is general printer life.

Don't know if 1,300 is a lot of prints or not for the 3880.  Just seems too coincidental that the retail price and number of prints out of it match dollar-for-dollar.  A time bomb print counter conspiracy theory!  ;)

So back to waiting to hear what this thing costs to fix...if it can.

SG

fetish

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 05:22:33 pm »

definitely an issue with paper curl.
1) try to 'relax' the paper on a very flat surface a day before the print. high humidity environment helps. It also helps to lower paper warping as it absorbs those ink in dense/darker areas of the print.
2) feed a considerably longer/larger piece of paper then your image and let the leading edge feed well past the end rollers so the paper gets held down by something physical before the head goes tearing acoss.
I've been thru the epson stylus 4000 days and I know the pain.

rogan

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 05:29:52 pm »

1300 is a good 2 weeks for a 3880. Guessing something else is up. Try printing on another type of paper and try to work out where the problem is. Guessing it's a paper issue but you never know. That said they are so cheap that I can't imagine considering fixing it if out of warrenty

Some Guy

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 07:28:18 pm »

1300 is a good 2 weeks for a 3880. Guessing something else is up. Try printing on another type of paper and try to work out where the problem is. Guessing it's a paper issue but you never know. That said they are so cheap that I can't imagine considering fixing it if out of warrenty

Already tried that other thin-paper stuff, even on Widest.  No go, even with thin typing paper.  Why it slices the right edge 1/4" in and curls it up is very bizarre.  I can't see anything that is cutting the paper there unless the print head is dropping down and something is cutting it from underneath.   It doesn't bend up the edge (Isn't striking there, and I already know that from the BC thick-crap paper that does edge-curling upwards and got pushed sideways in the rollers.).  It just slices "inside" the white border and fluffs it up, and then scrapes off the ink over the rollers.  Sounds like loud galloping horses when head is moving across the paper, even with thin stock now.

It will print (although small) using the front feed, but either the top or rear feed causes the head strike and rubbing off the ink over each roller.  Something has caused the platen to rise too much, or the head is dropping down too far.  Looks like there is a motor for each in the service manual so maybe one froze up?  No doubt the head is damaged to.  There is a deep groove in the back of one of the thicker papers from the roller pressing up too far, or the head pressing down too hard and rubbing off the ink.

No call back from service as to price either (So what else is new there?).

Fwiw, I dropped by another shop I know who has a larger Epson.  He hauled it to some independent shop 250 miles away to fix.  Never got it back, even though he gave the guy $2,500 for some parts up front since the guy didn't have the cash to buy the parts himself.  Should have known better, but it is gone, and maybe sold on Craigslist or eBay, so he thinks.  He tried a local guy with the newest one, but it took him 3 months to fix it, and it's acting up (9900) again and looking for a new service person.

I've been reading Yelp reviews looking for service centers and seems some reviewers lose theirs as "Beyond economical repair" so the repair place "Takes it for disposal (allegedly) and no money offered for the used and broken one."  Probably fixes them and resales the thing if they collect enough parts.  I had that pulled on an Amana refrigerator once that was a week out of warranty and the compressor blew out.  Repair guy wanted it bad too, even after I bought a new one and trashed the old one.

Guess it is garbage can time for the 3880.  Had a good two year run though.  I see Epson only allows for only 5 rebates to the same address too.  So one every two years will be it in 10 years, although they might have a new model by then too and start all over.

SG

hugowolf

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 07:34:16 pm »

"Widest' is not a paper thickness setting; that is a platen gap setting. Adjust the paper thickness and see if that helps - though I am doubtful.

To me it looks like a head strike has dislodged the print head.

Brian A

Some Guy

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 11:38:31 pm »

"Widest' is not a paper thickness setting; that is a platen gap setting. Adjust the paper thickness and see if that helps - though I am doubtful.

To me it looks like a head strike has dislodged the print head.

Brian A

It very well might be dislodged and why it is cutting the paper, but how and what gave way?

Now the head just drags on the paper no matter the platen or paper gaps so something has given up.  The manual mentions they use resin screws (weight reduction?) in parts of the carriage.  The slide bars seem solid in the frame, so it has to be the platen stuck high and not moving correctly (It appears to move when turned on.), or the carriage and print head has dropped somehow and that I don't know.

Seems the print head resides within the carriage of the 3880.  I found a carriage online (Price $75).

However, the print head alone price out of China is absurd: $995 USD!!!  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Epson-Pro-3880-3890-Printhead-F196000-/221573579915?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3396d0848b  :o

You can literally buy a new printer with ink with some of the rebates offered for less than the $995 print head alone.  B&H shows $928.99 with current rebate here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/649771-REG/Epson_CA61201_VM_Stylus_Pro_3880_Large_Format.html

Jon Cone mentioned on his site that Epson shot the price of the print heads up, but more than the printer bought as new seems absurd.

Oh, the 3880 that tanked was 22 months old.  One Amazon reviewer got 20 months, so I guess I did well, plus I didn't have to return it 3-4 time once new either as some reviewers have (Got to love those 1 and 2 star Amazon reviewers!).  Wouldn't at all be surprised if they are designing them with a shorter lifespan either.  Pump appears to be some bellows affair and probably next go (Pump is $75.).  Seems like they are indeed throw-aways at 2-3 years.  The 4900/7900 didn't work long for some owners either.  Buddy has an older 3800 and is still working, but he doesn't use it much and he lives by the ocean so it is damp there so it may not clog as much.  Probably no more than 500 prints ran through his now.

No wonder service didn't call me back on the cost to replace the print head.  Really is disposable once it messes up I guess.  :(

SG

slackercruster

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 11:45:28 pm »

Yes, good advice.  Breathing color paper was some of the most curled paper I tried. But the printer in questions ounds like it is shot.

I run 2 printers at a time. If I get 2 or 3 years from a printer that is great. Sometimes they go out a little after warranty. Printers are not like enlargers, they are not a lifetime machine. You have to amortize each print into the printers cost. Current 3880 I'm using has just under 9,000 prints and is 1-3/4 years old. I'm pretty happy with its performance. I've given it a lot of abuse. I have a new 3880 backup on the shelf. Only cost $450, brand new, but no inks included.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 11:47:58 pm by slackercruster »

Jglaser757

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 04:21:20 am »

Yes, it's definitely disposable. If you have to purchase a full set of inks $400 plus. The printer lists for $500-600 on eBay and can be bought for about 900-1000 after rebate. So ,if you do the numbers the cost is low to replace if your in need of ink. Next time consider that option. I will! If I continue with this printer.

Some Guy

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 10:55:50 am »

Follow up:

Printer is working again per this thread: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=94378.0

I fear the inner carriage that holds the print head unit was damaged due to a bad head strike on some thicker paper.  Maybe paper over 320gms might be the culprit since this printer does not do vacuum and any edge-curling paper (i.e. BC Silverada) can do serious printer damage.

There are two plastic tabs on the outer carriage that allow the inner one to go up and down on two cams based on the gearing in the right that engages a stepper motor that sets that height prior to actual printing.  Not high enough, or paper edge bent up enough, and one could lose one or both of the plastic tabs.  Then the head drags.

I suspect one of mine was gone from a bad BC strike that actually pushed the paper sideways in the feed and image was printed maybe 5 degrees bent.  The second may have gone with the sample pack.  It made a racket sounding like galloping horses!  After that, I could see the little upper springs very loose under that plastic cover and the head was tilted far forward to actually drag on the paper no matter the platen or paper thickness settings.

Luckily, there is a retainer on the bottom holding the print head in.  That retainer clip collected a lot of paper fibers and goo dragging on the surface and causing ink blots too.  The retainer may keep the head off the paper too (No direct contact.).  The retainer actually has a sharp stamped edge and why Epson didn't bead-blast or smooth it is beyond me.  It was slicing the paper as it dragged.

Anyway, it is working again (And very quietly!  More so than the second K7 3880 too which seems to have an affinity to run the air pump a lot?).  Fix was a bent windshield wiper's stainless steel blade I got for free at a tire shop and inserted per the above link to replace the snapped off tabs.  Cost to fix $0.00, but the time was a lot!  Having it torn that far down is sort of scary, but the engineering in making it all fit together is sort of amazing.  Didn't need the calibration software either, fwiw.

SG
Pages: [1]   Go Up