Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: So I took a Pentax 645Z to shoot a soccer game  (Read 7077 times)

Joe Towner

So I took a Pentax 645Z to shoot a soccer game
« on: October 11, 2014, 02:31:16 am »

MLS, Seattle Sounders v Vancouver Whitecaps.  645Z with the 55/2.8, 80-160/4.5, 150/2.8 and 200/4 lenses.  I'll post photos and such but wanted to see if anyone else had done such a crazy thing, and how it turned out for you.  It's unreal what the Z can do.  Shot the game in Tav mode, which is manual with auto ISO, 1/500th ~f4.5 was my most common setting.  Central focus worked pretty well, and the 3 fps worked out, but I hit the buffer a few times.  The tracking AF mode seems to work, but I really wish I had longer lens options.  LensRentals.com hooked me up with the best of what they had, now I get to start asking for bigger glass.  Around 1,200 photos, all RAW, worked 3 new U1 32gb cards hard.  I barely used a single battery, and may have been fine to, but between shots earlier in the day, I didn't want it to die in the last minutes.

Looking at a few shots early, it's just unfair.  The detail in the crowd shots, I mean, I'll post a few.
t: @PNWMF

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
Re: So I took a Pentax 645Z to shoot a soccer game
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 09:00:13 am »

Really looking forward to seeing these.  Sounds like  a job for a 150-300 and a 400 f5.6 though :-)

And isn't TAV (shutter and aperture priority mode, which matches the ISO to your chosen exposure) the best thing ever? I have no idea why more makers don't implement this. Since ISO is almost irrelevant up a 1600, it's the perfect solution.

- N.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 11:53:17 pm by ndevlin »
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

Torbjörn Tapani

Re:
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 09:15:00 am »

Auto ISO in manual mode? The D800 does this.

Royce Howland

• Vivid Aspect Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 11:11:14 am »

I don't do pro sports events, but I have shot stuff like high school football with the 645D and 645Z. Using the D for this was pretty unappealing, aside from just goofing around... the D just wasn't fast enough in any regard to handle the action. Though when I was able to "hit" a good moment, the files were gorgeous. With the Z, pardon the pun, it's a whole new ballgame.

The Z is now just fast enough to see, focus, shoot, review, etc. and keep up with the action. As long as you're judicious on the long bursts, so you don't jam up the buffer. The FA* 645 300mm f/4, FA 645 150-300mm f/5.6 (I have Nick's lens ;) ) and FA 645 400mm f/5.6 all work very nicely. The rig is pulling in so much light, it's a shame the camera doesn't support autofocus at an effective max aperture of f/8 because then you could throw the 1.4X teleconverter on the f/5.6 lenses and go to town with that, too. The files are stellar up to ISO 1600 and very usable at least a couple of stops beyond that.

Fun stuff... though shooting the Z on the sidelines produces some odd looks from the few other pro or semi-pro types that are occasionally there. :)

GarethC7

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 04:41:16 pm »

Interesting. I'd say you must have had a workout with it similar to the one that the players were getting :) I've only been out twice with mine and the fastest things moving were the leaves in the breeze.

What is so interesting though is that TAV struck me as something that was useful and the AF on my one AF lens didn't hunt at all when I messed around with it. All of this added up to worth a try at a sports event. Of course, the flipside was the heft of it.

James Clark

Re:
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 08:23:08 pm »

+1.  So does my 1dX and, I think, my A7r

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Re:
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 10:05:01 pm »

and your point is?

I don't think that was the feature the OP was after, just noted what settings were used.

James Clark

Re:
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 10:44:33 pm »

and your point is?

I don't think that was the feature the OP was after, just noted what settings were used.

Right, but the second poster was wondering why more manufacturers don't implement that capability.  It was just being pointed out that there's a similar solution out there :)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Re:
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 05:10:23 am »

Are there any picture links avaliable?

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Joe Towner

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 05:25:15 pm »

Yes, I'm just back from a long weekend shooting in San Francisco - spent more time shooting than writing/editing.  I'm in a 2,600 shot hole, and it shows. 

Here's a few shots from the event, http://www.soundersfcfan.com/ECS/2014-10-10-SSFC-v-WCFC/ and I'll post a Copy.com link to some raws.  I also have a list of thoughts post game, but yea, would have loved to have the 150-300.  Should have done this for a day game, as shooting at f8 with iso's less than 1600 would have been nice.

As an addon, I shot a lot the weekend I had the Z and even though the 55/2.8 is the slowest AF around, walking around with it out and shooting in the rain was a lot of fun..  Even took it to Kerry Park and got a bride and groom (common Seattle place for wedding shots)  -
http://www.soundersfcfan.com/Delivery/Pentax645Z/i-5P8TGkq

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 08:12:21 pm »

Yes, it's definitely a contender. Colors look very Nikony somehow.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Joe Towner

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 12:16:34 am »

Here's something most folks don't see - how small the Pentax lenses are!  I mean, the weight savings on the Z and lenses is huge!

L to R HC 210, Pentax 200, HC 150, Pentax 150, HC 80, Pentax 55

Joe Towner

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 03:48:54 pm »

I pulled the wedding shots, as they were incorrectly from the Hass.  I need to work on coffee before posting :)

Here's some action shots, but I need to go in and adjust the lens profile as I'm seeing some purple CA all over the place...
http://www.soundersfcfan.com/Delivery/SSFC-with-Pentax/
Pages: [1]   Go Up