Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: R2400 paper type and profiles  (Read 7064 times)

billmcknight

R2400 paper type and profiles
« on: November 25, 2005, 12:51:53 pm »

I have a new Epson R2400 printer.  I use a Gretamacbeth One-eye to produce my own paper profiles.  I have difficulty knowing which paper type to select when using Hahnemuhle Photo Rag or Ilfoed Gallerie Smooth Fine Art.  Does anyone have any suggestions or links to rescources.
Thanks Guys

colourperfect

• http://www.colourperfect.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 02:20:11 pm »

You need to consider the following :-

Do you like matte or gloss or perhaps semi-matte
What about gamut, gloss papers tend to have larger gamut's and better shadow detail.
What about print life, archival qualities.
How much do you want to spend, although if you have bought an i1 without knowing the type of paper you want to use I assume money isnt a big problem.
Do you want roll or sheet media

You could also try buying some sample packs

www.colourperfect.co.uk

billmcknight

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 11:57:15 am »

You need to consider the following :-

Do you like matte or gloss or perhaps semi-matte
What about gamut, gloss papers tend to have larger gamut's and better shadow detail.
What about print life, archival qualities.
How much do you want to spend, although if you have bought an i1 without knowing the type of paper you want to use I assume money isnt a big problem.
Do you want roll or sheet media

You could also try buying some sample packs

www.colourperfect.co.uk
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=52176\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I know what paper I want to use, I gave an example in my original post.  I use fine art paper, with a matte finish.  The question I pose is that when I print target images what paper type do I select when I use the Epson print dialogue box?

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 02:19:48 pm »

I think you can pick plain matte paper. The most important thing is to be consistent, that is, to make the same choice when you print a target page for your Gretag MacBeth spectrophotometer as when you make a print using the resulting profile you generate.

pcox

• Antarctica 2016
    • http://www.petercox.ie
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 08:32:47 am »

Bill -
I don't have the equipment to create my own paper profiles, but I've been very happy with the photo rag/R2400 profile made available on inkjetart.com. I've been using that to good effect since July, and just recently started using the new Hahnemuhle profile.

Inkjet Art recommended using the 'Ultrasmooth Fine Art' paper as the target, and Hahnemuhle's document (not updated since it was written for the 2200) recommends using 'Watercolor Paper - Radiant White' as a target.

In my tests, the inkjetart.com profile is pretty close to Hahnemuhle's own offering. I am printing with the Hahnemuhle profile with a target of 'Ultrasmooth Fine Art', as I find it preserves more shadow detail than if I use the watercolour option.

What I'm getting at here is, play with a couple of targets keeping all other variables the same, and see what gives you the best results.

Cheers,
Peter Cox

www.petercox.ie
Peter Cox Photography
[url=http://photoc
Pages: [1]   Go Up