Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 70-200L  (Read 3798 times)

mgts517

70-200L
« on: November 25, 2005, 09:46:50 am »

Is it advisable to set the metering mode on this lens to manual,with a center point focus point set?
   I've been using this lens in AV metering mode,with all focus points set.
Please advise?
Thanks,
Mike

RandyJK

70-200L
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 10:30:40 am »

Is it advisable to set the metering mode on this lens to manual,with a center point focus point set?
   I've been using this lens in AV metering mode,with all focus points set.
Please advise?
Thanks,
Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=52149\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Its certainly possible but why would this be related to this particular lens?  I nearly always shoot with center focus using all lenses and I shoot manual when I think it will benefit the shot.

mgts517

70-200L
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 10:45:56 am »

Its certainly possible but why would this be related to this particular lens?  I nearly always shoot with center focus using all lenses and I shoot manual when I think it will benefit the shot.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=52152\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I recently had the lens recalibrated in Jamesburg NJ,when I was there, I spoke to a pro sports photographer who was having his lens recalibrated as well.
He advised me to use manual mode on the camera ,when using L series lens,because of the focusing issues that these lenses have.
This sounded a little odd,so,that's why I'm posting the question.
I tried to verify this with one of the tech people at canon,but they would not let me speak to one.
99% of the time i use the AV mode.
Mike

RandyJK

70-200L
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2005, 11:25:47 am »

I recently had the lens recalibrated in Jamesburg NJ,when I was there, I spoke to a pro sports photographer who was having his lens recalibrated as well.
He advised me to use manual mode on the camera ,when using L series lens,because of the focusing issues that these lenses have.
This sounded a little odd,so,that's why I'm posting the question.
I tried to verify this with one of the tech people at canon,but they would not let me speak to one.
99% of the time i use the AV mode.
Mike
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=52156\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thats interesting.  I am puzzled about his comments about L focussing issues and why on earth manual mode would make any difference what so ever.  Maybe he meant one needs to control aperture to ensure adequate DOF but one can do that in modes other than full manual.  But hey, manual is good too, perhaps he was just stating his preference.  I am not convinced L lenses have any more AF issues than any other lenses also.

jani

• Øyet
70-200L
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 06:37:26 am »

Thats interesting.  I am puzzled about his comments about L focussing issues and why on earth manual mode would make any difference what so ever.  Maybe he meant one needs to control aperture to ensure adequate DOF but one can do that in modes other than full manual.  But hey, manual is good too, perhaps he was just stating his preference.  I am not convinced L lenses have any more AF issues than any other lenses also.
The only AF issues I've noticed in my L lenses as compared to the non-L lenses, is the tendency of L-lenses to be quicker and more accurate ...

But then again, I haven't been through quite as many lenses as other people have.
Jan

pobrien3

70-200L
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 07:50:58 am »

I am acquainted with three people who are pro sports photographers, and none of them follow your man's advice. They are united in that they use their Canon L lenses on autofocus servo, but their preferences differ on metering. One uses spot, the others use partial. None of them shoot manually.

I own the 70-200 f2.8L myself, and don't believe I've ever used anything other than autofocus / autoexposure (from spot to eval, depending...) and have never had an issue with it.  It's the best Canon lens I own.

michael

70-200L
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2005, 08:35:41 am »

Ditto.

Michael
Pages: [1]   Go Up