Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Looks like Canon did not forget the pros  (Read 4172 times)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Looks like Canon did not forget the pros
« on: October 08, 2014, 06:45:51 pm »

Take a look at Canon rumors.  http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/10/multilayer-sensors-are-coming-from-canon-cr2/

This has been in the rumors for so long, glad to see it's finally coming to light.  It will be very interesting to see what they have done here, multilayer, full frame, and high res.  It will be an interesting 2015.  I have to assume a Foveon style chip?

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

NancyP

Re: Looks like Canon did not forget the pros
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 07:10:06 pm »

Aaackk. TWO cameras to save for....  On the other hand I have been awaiting the 7D2 for over two years, and I will expect the new 1DZed or 9D to show up late in 2015 if at all.  :D

I use Sigma cameras, and I can say that the Foveon sensor technology has its own problems, most notably deterioration of performance above ISO 400 (I prefer to use the Merrills at ISO 200, their base) and the even more restricted dynamic range - Canonistas, we have nothing to complain about if we compare our Canons to the Merrills for DR. But there is a certain Foveon "look" that in the right setting is great, beats the pants off ordinary Bayer sensors.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 07:26:39 pm »

Canon set the mark back in 2002 when they announced the 1Ds mk1 at 11mp. That camera changed how I shot landscapes for many years.

If Canon has found a way to get the increased resolution from multilayer and still have high ISO ranges, KUDOS  to Canon.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 08:24:20 pm »

Let's hope this is true. In fact I think that this is probably true. Indeed, I cannot help find the timing of this rumor release, 2 days after the uproar caused by their marketing count down, well... very adequate. So we probably have a leak coming straight from Canon themselves, which give the rumor credibility. Multi-layer may mean foveon type sensor, it could also mean BSI sensor. Future will tell.

I guess quite a few folks got frustrated this week and I wouldn't be surprised if the a7r saw a peak of sales in the coming days. It only makes sense for Canon to try to stop that any way they can.

Now, the question is the actual availability of that dream multi-layer camera. My personal bet is May 2015. Any takers? ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 08:41:58 pm »

Both sony and canon have patents for this type of sensor, so it's only a matter of time before the whole industry gets them.

The biggest loser would be sigma. Should've done a mirror less Foveon interchangeable lens camera when they had the head start.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

K.C.

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 12:53:22 am »

The biggest loser would be sigma. Should've done a mirror less Foveon interchangeable lens camera when they had the head start.

Yeah those fools at Sigma just spent their R&D time and money developing some of the best lenses available. And with multiple camera mounts. What they heck where they thinking ?

New camera with a sensor whose life in the market is maybe 18 months vs. outstanding lenses with a market life several times that.  :o

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 01:36:14 am »

Yeah those fools at Sigma just spent their R&D time and money developing some of the best lenses available. And with multiple camera mounts. What they heck where they thinking ?

New camera with a sensor whose life in the market is maybe 18 months vs. outstanding lenses with a market life several times that.  :o

Yes, because developing lenses and camera platforms at the same time is not possible.

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 05:06:57 am »

Let's hope this is true. In fact I think that this is probably true. Indeed
Bernard, stop being such a Canon fanboi.. . . :D

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 05:08:43 am »

Good news if it's true.

After such a long wait, it will be very interesting to see what they've come up with.

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 05:22:12 am »

Bernard, stop being such a Canon fanboi.. . . :D

Feeling sooooooo excited!

I'll probably quit photography and start to take pictures if that camera doesn't come true.

Cheers,
Bernard

MrSmith

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 07:33:52 am »

And if this mythical 1series camera is what people would expect (more MP/dynamic range/colour fidelity) it will be another year-18months before a 5D pro-am version while canon milk their investment at 5k a pop which will cause more Internet forum angst and complaining.

NancyP

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 10:24:10 am »

Actually, the thing that Sigma most lacks is a great RAW converter for its Foveon files. It has many good features, but it is clunky and crashes.
Fixed lenses on the APS-C Foveon sensor cameras are really nice - 28mm and 50mm f/2.8. One thing to contemplate is that apparently the Sigma QC and development test sensor is the Foveon APS-C sensor on a shift platform (to cover FF).

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 10:47:25 am »

Oh, nothing wrong with the DP series of cameras. An interchangeable version can perfectly compliment them though, much like Fuji's approach.

And yes, software needs massive improvement as well.

powerslave12r

• Flickr
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 12:47:41 pm »

All expectations on the yet unannounced SD1 Quattro as far as Sigma is concerned.

I wonder if Canon's newer lenses can feed the resolution monster that a high MP multilayer sensor would be.
http://www.flickr.com/garagenoise
DP2M | X-M1 | 6D | TS-E24IIL | EF24-105L

capital

• Website
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 04:11:39 pm »

As much as it would be nice to have a VCF competitor to the Foveon tech, I think this recent rumor is vaporware.

powerslave12r

• Flickr
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2014, 04:20:56 pm »

As much as it would be nice to have a VCF competitor to the Foveon tech, I think this recent rumor is vaporware.
Definitely damage control from Canon after the 'See the impossible' campaign. LOL.

That's not to say they may not have something in the pipeline.
http://www.flickr.com/garagenoise
DP2M | X-M1 | 6D | TS-E24IIL | EF24-105L

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2014, 05:31:52 pm »

This mythical new camera has been continuously rumored for YEARS! Why would anyone put any faith in this? If the Canon rumors site is correct it's the just like a blind pig finding an acorn. Sooner or later they're bound to be correct by sheer chance.

IMO, if you need what another camera maker offers you'd be far better off getting it from them than wasting years waiting for Canon to develop something comparable.
- Dean

NancyP

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2014, 05:41:35 pm »

Let's make this "Phillips law": in internet forum discussions about camera gear, eventually someone will pipe up with "Most cameras are better than most photographers".

The statement is true, in my case.  ;D

BernardLanguillier

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2014, 06:04:36 pm »

Let's make this "Phillips law": in internet forum discussions about camera gear, eventually someone will pipe up with "Most cameras are better than most photographers".

The statement is true, in my case.  ;D

Considering the role that some photographers attribute to the usage of a given camera to their succes, it is probably in fact the camera taking the picture rather than the photographer. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard

Paul Ozzello

• www.paulozzello.com
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2014, 06:09:53 pm »

"This will be the death of medium format" - FredBGG
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up