Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Arca-Swiss p0 - thoughts and opinions?  (Read 3043 times)

Dave Pluimer

• Dave Pluimer Photography
Arca-Swiss p0 - thoughts and opinions?
« on: October 07, 2014, 03:50:44 pm »

I'm contemplating an upgrade from a Manfrotto 486RC2 to a Arca-Swiss p0 combined with an L-bracket. The heaviest camera/lens combo would be a 1D/70-200 f/2.8 IS.

Any users have a thought on the p0. Anything they've found that works better. My interest in the p0 vs a traditional ballhead is the panning feature and it's ability to also handle the normal single-frame shots.

Thanks in advance.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
Re: Arca-Swiss p0 - thoughts and opinions?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 08:59:44 pm »

It's a very fine  head. Not quite up to the level of support of either an Arca-Swiss Z1 or Really Right Stuff BH-55  (with both of those equipped with an RRS PC-LR or PC-Pro panning clamp), but very good indeed. I think you'll like it. 

alban

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 09:12:41 am »

I tried  both P0 and P1 . I went for the P1 . the bigger size makes it easier to work with ,faster. Make sure you buy from somewhere that accepts returns. I had to return 2 heads for various problems . B&H doesn't screen for production flaws

NancyP

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 11:04:01 am »

This is a nice compact lightweight head. I like the one-handed operation. I have this on a tripod without a center column, in which the legs fold 180 degrees to make a compact package (Feisol CT3442) - head and legs weigh 3 pounds or so (2.4 kg), great hiking tripod, goes everywhere. It probably doesn't have the grip power of a larger head. I have noticed that when I put the head down into the slot somewhat, with the head bearing a 1.9 kg combo of 180mm f/3.5L macro on tripod ring plus 6D, the grip seems challenged, even though when the same gear is horizontal, the grip is fine.

Dave Pluimer

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 05:59:19 pm »

Thanks, all. Now, to find one that I can order today is the trick.

NancyP

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 07:07:10 pm »

Last comment. Arca-Swiss perma-bonds their clamps onto the heads now - it isn't the type of threadlock that is readily breakable by the user. So, take a look at their clamp options, which include a screw type, a lever type, and a "mini" type not based on the old "Arca" dovetail. The screw and lever types based on the old "Arca" dovetail have a two-level construction that allows use of the standard old dovetail on the top wider area and the new narrow-gauge mount. You may or may not like this design. Arca-Swiss  also sells a plain threaded mount plus platform. Rod Klukas is the US distributor for Arca-Swiss, he's the one to ask, and he is the one who is most likely to have items in stock.

Dave Pluimer

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 09:27:28 pm »

I decided to go with a Kirk clamp and L-bracket.

Rod has a VM from me. The two dealers I spoke with don't have them in stock. The big boys in NYC do, but are on holiday through the 18th.

Dave Pluimer

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 03:42:21 pm »

Update: spoke with Rob and got good info. No other clampless p0 I the US until late next week. That's other than the big NYC shops that are effectively closed and not shipping until 10/20.

alan_b

• West Coast Architecture + Interiors Photographer
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 06:03:08 pm »

I love mine - got the version without a clamp and added a round Sunway clamp. This clamp is a bit larger in diameter than the head, but not annoyingly so.  I wanted something more compact than the RRS clamp.

The built-in panning clamp makes it a great deal in both weight and cost.  I use it on RRS 24L legs as my hiking/general use tripod, up to 200mm lens.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 06:06:54 pm by alan_b »
Pages: [1]   Go Up