Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Profoto b1 slave / air  (Read 3221 times)

orc73

Profoto b1 slave / air
« on: October 07, 2014, 03:19:28 pm »

Hi

I bought a profot b1. It's a very nice product.
Coming from Elinchrome, I'm used that I can trigger the flash with via skyport, AND (if activated) also via photo cell.
So even if I use the photo cell, I can still adjust power with the remote. And I don't need to switch back and forward.
In most cases you can just keep the photocell activated and choose to trigger the way you want.

Now Profoto really screw on this: you can choose "air"(remote) OR "slave"(photo cell) OR nothing(cable).
If you choose the option "slave" they are so generous to completely shut down the air control, you can not adjust power anymore with the remote.
Great.This means you have to get to the stand and change the setting for power, even you have a remote, and you need to adjust all the time, if you decide to trigger via light.

I like to work with a speedlight on camera for fill sometimes if I see the scene needs fill from the front. In this case the speedlight is also the trigger.

Any work around?

synn

• My fine art portfolio
Re: Profoto b1 slave / air
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 11:51:49 pm »

Can't comment on Profoto as I am an Elin user as well, but I use Pocketwizards for all triggering stuff and use the skyport controller only for adjusting power. No issues with that approach.

If you insist on using a speedlight on camera for fill and triggering, buy a $5 optical trigger and plug it into the 3.5mm jack on the light. This way, you can use the Air controller for power and the optical trigger for firing.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

orc73

Re: Profoto b1 slave / air
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 01:40:12 am »

synn, you are a genius, thanks!

I checked, the jack port is activated in "air" mode, so that will work.

Not really sexy having to do that with a high tech device though, which would have all the technology necessary on board.
The Elinchrom approach is much better. I don't see a reason, why the "air" remote port has to be deactivated when triggering in "slave" mode with a light.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 04:50:09 am by orc73 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up