Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has anyone played with Soraa LEDs?  (Read 4455 times)

howardm

Has anyone played with Soraa LEDs?
« on: October 07, 2014, 01:55:28 pm »

Have any of our color geeks obtained, evaluated or compared (to Solux or others) some of the Soraa VP3 LED lights (soraa.com)?  Apparently
quite different from all the others in SPD and CRI w/ very high R9 scores due to unique unique construction. (the
Nobel winner/inventor of the Blue LED is a founder).

Tim Lookingbill

Re: Has anyone played with Soraa LEDs?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 04:44:30 pm »

Just FYI get the Vivid version for better color rendering as explained here...

http://www.soraa.com/technology/VP3-vivid-color

Thanks for the heads up on this one, Howard.

Not sure if I want to plunk down $35 for one bulb but at least I won't have to purchase an expensive MR16 lamp since Vivid also comes in PAR 20/30 versions.

Jeff-Grant

• http://www.jeff-grant.com
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 05:06:08 pm »

Being completely ignorant on these matters, I just checked my Solux globes which are 4700K. Doesn't 3000K make the light warm from the Soraa globes?
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 05:24:45 pm »

They have lamps up to 5000 K
http://www.soraa.com/products/specs-GU10-ROW
Good light!

Jeff-Grant

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 05:39:13 pm »

I'm getting a headache looking at the catalogue. It looks like the 5000K MR16 is the replacement for the Solux. Hopefully, someone who actually knows will chime in.
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

howardm

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 05:56:11 pm »

I'm getting a headache looking at the catalogue. It looks like the 5000K MR16 is the replacement for the Solux. Hopefully, someone who actually knows will chime in.

Well, I use a 3500 Solux instead of 4700.  I just find the light more pleasing (and if you dig around the Solux site a bit, you'll find that many art people praise and gravitate toward 3500).  That, and since my display space is lit by 2800K tungsten BR30 lamps it matches better (and the monitor is cal'd to around 5500).  If you like the Solux 4700, then the 4000 or 5000 Soraa would be the choice.  I think Solux's are generally about 35-40 degree beam spread.

The interesting thing about the Soraa's are that they specifically talk about emitting enough violet energy (not uv though) to excite OBA's in the real world whereas tungsten doesnt.  There is also an output penalty for using the Vivid series if you look at the spec's for lumen output.

Jeff-Grant

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 06:13:06 pm »

Howard,

You are adding to the headache. My local light place talks about lower output with LEDs but I don't have enough yet to have noticed. I have a whole house with MR16 12v lights. My work area has Solux 4700K globes which I'm happy with. I also step out into the real light to check prints.
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

howardm

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 06:32:40 pm »

Howard,

You are adding to the headache. My local light place talks about lower output with LEDs but I don't have enough yet to have noticed. I have a whole house with MR16 12v lights. My work area has Solux 4700K globes which I'm happy with. I also step out into the real light to check prints.

Sorry about that  ;)

I think MR16's (halogen) come usually in 35W and 50W (maybe a bit more).  You can see on the spec sheet what the equiv. would be in LED which I think is comparable these days (if not Soraa then Cree perhaps) but if your house has a whole lot of MR16, you'll save a bundle of $$ simply on the lower power needs of LEDs.  If you're happy w/ 4700, power to you :)  YMMV.  I dont see the point in 'stepping out into real light' to check if that isn't where they are going to be displayed and observed under normal conditions.  That's why some super-serious printers will make prints (or print profiles) based on the lighting in the gallery/display space.

I'm simply trying to find a coherent lighting strategy between monitor, proofing lights and display lights since Solux PAR30's are next to impossible to get and honestly, I'm not wildly enamored w/ Tailored Lighting Inc.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 07:02:30 pm »

Several days ago got an email from Tailored Lighting on this new bulb...

https://www.solux.net/cgi-bin/tlistore/colorviewbulbs.html?id=3apkJepG

I'm finding the LED lumen numbers appear much brighter than equivalent incandescent and CFL's I have.

Walmart's Daylight 5000K 60 watt is rated at 900 lumens and is blindingly bright. I have four installed above my bathroom vanity sink and turning them on has a similar effect on my eyes as if going out in broad daylight from a dimly lit living room.

Jeff-Grant

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 07:08:14 pm »

My wife has drawn the line at a viewing booth. Stepping outside is to enable me to see the finest detail in the print. Please keep posting to the thread. I'm very interested to hear if they work. I have been wondering about LEDs for a while.
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 07:41:02 pm »

The Walmart Daylight LED's I have installed over my vanity sink don't seem to have a problem reproducing the color blue as been claimed from what I've read over at Soraa's site and other web write ups on blue/white LED's in general.

The shot of my vanity sink below supports satisfactory color rendering so it might suffice as a viewing light for prints. (NOTE: I edited the shot to look exactly as it appears.)

I've used the Walmart LED's for photography and it seems to pass the skin tone test according to the Lab numbers versus a spectrally flat neutral target for R=G=B gray. 

howardm

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 07:49:03 pm »

From my reading, it's the deep reds that are the problem w/ 'regular' LEDs.  Soraa also notes that their violet based devices help in perceived 'whiteness'.  Whether that is good for users like us or more for retail sales etc is unknown.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 08:33:44 pm »

From my reading, it's the deep reds that are the problem w/ 'regular' LEDs.  Soraa also notes that their violet based devices help in perceived 'whiteness'.  Whether that is good for users like us or more for retail sales etc is unknown.

I hope Soraa's Vivid LED's do a better job than the $9 Walmart LED's in color rendering of deep reds and the Xrite CC chart.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 08:37:22 pm by Tim Lookingbill »

howardm

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 08:39:31 pm »

I've been known to have some weird stuff in my bathroom but the combination of leaf spinach, power driver and lighter really
hands the crown to you  ::)

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 02:42:11 pm »

I've been known to have some weird stuff in my bathroom but the combination of leaf spinach, power driver and lighter really
hands the crown to you  ::)

Yes, and it didn't take too much effort to go to the trouble of showing all this.

You're welcome, Howard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up