Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not a GoPro.  (Read 14218 times)

mahleu

• 500px
Re: Not a GoPro.
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2014, 05:45:53 am »

Not really advise but an interesting video using all sorts of cameras https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z-YXyi8UTU

As has been mentioned, GoPro's are quite customisable and you can even buy replacement lenses that are not so wide.

Lightbox

• http://www.shaunquinlan.com
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2014, 07:01:28 pm »

I'm gonna crack the whip here as we seem to have gone fairly off topic, although I am taking in a lot from the experience you guys have with video and the info being shared here, thanks.

As stated in my original post, I don't have anything against the GoPro it is an awesome little camera for its size, ease of use and crash cam ruggedness. I just want to step up a notch in video quality and a more cinematic look from a GoPro without gaining too much weight and bulk, so even the smallest of SLR's available today are way out of the question.

I realize it's a bit lazy but I'm not too concerned about audio capture, external monitors etc. at this stage, 95% of the video I'm wanting to capture and edit/use will have a soundtrack. For the other 5% where I might want to capture small sound clips, a fishing reel singing or a fish splashing on the surface, I'll get an external audio recorder.

I can afford to use a camera with a bit more size than a GoPro, and you would think that this would allow me to net some sort of gain in video quality and a more cinematic look :)

Where does that leave me? Like any consideration of a new camera purchase, in a big bag of compromises. It seems to me that camera companies are just not seeing the issues and developing a camera to work as a complete system, instead focusing on selling new camera bodies and forcing the customer to jump through hoops to make it work and get the real goodness that a camera may be capable of.

Here are 3 options I see...

Get a mirrorless camera with fixed lens and be happy with it. Probably won't be much of a gain at all over a GoPro, but will look like a bigger camera and thus make me feel like I'm doing better.

Get a mirrorless camera with no fixed mount and try hard to find a small wide angle lens, 24-28mm range, that will keep camera size down and offer better video quality and a more cinematic look than the fixed lens option.

Stop whining about the GoPro and just go and buy another one and forget about the camera market for another 5 years.

Video quality and a more cinematic look, you're sick of hearing that by now I know, but that's my focus here, my real reason for starting this thread. Surely starting with good footage out of camera is the right way to go rather than relying on post to pull footage into line.

Just typing.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2014, 06:09:07 am »

I have an NEX5n - there are now newer versions.

The video is not excellent but the S35 sensor makes it a really good match for other larger cameras you may use.

The 16mm pancake is incredibly small, the 18-55 kit lens has some things about it that make it not as terrible as I thought.

The camera it a bit tricky to mount as the tripod screw is a bit flimsy.

Shot most of 'Stolen' with an NEX5n (and gopro!) - you may note that with a nikkor 50 1.2 it certainly looks 'cinematic'

Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2014, 06:05:26 pm »

I saw a video by 'Dude Like Hella' the other day after the 'IFL Science blog' mentioned strange noises skipping stones on ice can make. The reason I reference this is because I was intrigued by camera he shot his diary stuff with. It was nice looking footage, despite obviously being shot handheld with a pretty small camera with with at times fairly shallow DoF (which is what 'cinematic look' usually means) and I think it is a Sony RX100 Mark I that he uses. I just got the Mark III version the other day and although I've not had time to properly test the video, I'm very impressed by the camera, particularly by how customisable all the dials and buttons are and the amazing stills quality.
The thing is if you shoot wide open with this or say a m4/3 camera, DoF will be such, that you are still going have to be careful with manual focusing of anything nearby. Remember 35mm film footage capture area is smaller than a 35mm film stills or a FF camera, which are buggers to accurately focus for video in comparison.

A cinematic look is often down to lighting BTW. Not just shallow depth of field.
Most cinema is not in fact shot at f1.2 either.  :)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 06:52:58 pm by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Lightbox

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2014, 06:20:34 pm »

Thanks Sam for posting you're production, really enjoyed that and seeing what small format camera's are capable of, was great to see a bit of BTS footage at the end and how you've rigged the camera's.

Both the Sony RX100 III & the a6000 are looking like good options although the RX100 doesn't offer camera control via its WiFi but is slightly smaller in physical size. Might finally be worth a trip to the city.

Gandalf

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2014, 09:15:07 pm »

Thanks Sam for posting you're production, really enjoyed that and seeing what small format camera's are capable of, was great to see a bit of BTS footage at the end and how you've rigged the camera's.

Both the Sony RX100 III & the a6000 are looking like good options although the RX100 doesn't offer camera control via its WiFi but is slightly smaller in physical size. Might finally be worth a trip to the city.

That's funny, I was just about to ask if anyone has experience with the RX100 III. It looks like it might fit the bill. I may try to pick one up for some BTS on a shoot next week.

Lightbox

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2015, 05:13:03 am »

I ended up getting a good deal on a Sony a5000 with 16-50mm lens, really happy with the light weight and image quality but using the WiFi feature is a bit 1990's. Instead have ordered Sony's IR remote for the camera to start/stop recording when the camera is mounted out of reach.

Have just sold the 16-50mm lens to get the 16mm pancake as my main wide angle, which will make it a really nice little compact camera for the boat and hopefully provide a fraction of extra quality being a prime lens. Here's the first bit of test video I shot with it the other day...

Seems really smooth and almost slow motion due to the glassy water not giving a sense of speed, and a reasonable amount of dynamic range for a small sensor. For the above video the camera was mounted to the top rail of the center console, next is to get it back behind me and up on a pole for a better view of the boat and me fly fishing up the front. Thanks again for all the input here stoked to finally have something I can mount easily and rely on to capture decent footage.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2015, 05:19:55 pm »

Glad you got something you're happy with.

BTW - The music on track reminds me of Dreadzone.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up