Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about Leaf Credo 40 exposure time  (Read 1760 times)

synn

• My fine art portfolio
Question about Leaf Credo 40 exposure time
« on: October 06, 2014, 10:22:07 am »

I have a question about the max exposure times on the credo 40 and I hope yaya or someone can help clarify. I did some landscape work today at 1 min. I know that this is the maximum stated exposure time for the back, but I was wondering if it can be pushed to a few minutes in bulb mode if the ambient temperatures are low. Or would the back do a hard cut off at the 1 min mark?

I am too poor for a Credo 50, but if this is possible, I'd be able to accomplish some creative visions I have been working on for a while.

Thanks!
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
Re: Question about Leaf Credo 40 exposure time
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 11:21:04 am »

I would expect that the Credo is similar to Phase IQ in that the stated maximums are ranges based on environmental conditions. In other words, if it is cold out, you will be able to get away with longer exposures.  I just have this twisted vision of you placing ice-packs all around your Credo.... ;D

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 12:26:51 pm »

Ken is right, you can leave it open for as long as you like. If the ambient temperature is really low you can push it well beyond 1 minute. The longest I've done was just over 2 minutes (on a Credo 60, similar sensor design to the 40). The temp outside was about 4 degrees C and the image was OK-ish. If you have to do consecutive long exposures I would recommend to switch the back off for a few second between shots.

And you are right the Credo 50 is much better than its CCD brethren when it comes to long exposures. I tested it at ~15 minutes in ~20ºc with excellent results

BR

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 12:36:27 pm »

On CCD you can also shoot a shoot at 1/500 of a sec to flush the pixels.  I do this a lot when taking longer exposures with the CCD backs I have owned.  Helps to clear the stuck pixels. 

CCD loves cool temperatures for sure.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 09:52:59 pm »

Thank you all for your inputs. It's nice to know that the Credo 40 can be pushed further if the conditions allow it. I don't need hour long exposures, just enough to get some cloud and water motion.

@Yaya: Nice picture. When the Credo 50 prices come down a bit, I will be looking at it as an upgrade path.

@Paul: That's a nice tip. You mean that after each long exposure, you shoot a blank 1/500s exposure?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 10:31:30 pm »

Synn,  I do it about every 5th exposure when I am working with the exposure longer than 10 seconds.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 10:34:42 pm »

Perfect, got it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up