Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New 27-inch 5K "Retina" display iMac coming in October 2014?  (Read 21680 times)

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
Re: New 27-inch 5K "Retina" display iMac coming in October 2014?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 05:58:33 pm »

Yes please.

Torbjörn Tapani

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 06:41:46 am »

What would be the reason to go beyond 4k at this point in time? Might as well wait for 8k now. When will it stop? :)

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 04:46:33 pm »

If true, it could be a more attractive than a macpro.
It could have a very fast new 6 core i7 as a option and a ati card fast enough for 4k video.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Telecaster

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 05:09:51 pm »

What would be the reason to go beyond 4k at this point in time? Might as well wait for 8k now. When will it stop? :)

Looks like Apple is just quadrupling the new screen's pixel count relative to the current 27"er. Makes some mathematical sense if nothing else.   ;)

-Dave-

JeanMichel

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 07:47:02 pm »

A retina screen sounds interesting, but for LR users the following note from Jeff Schewe gives pause:

Re: The Achilles heel of 4k monitors on the Mac Pro?
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 06:03:44 PM »
Reply  Quote
One aspect of super high rez displays is the fact that apps like Lightroom that must rip the preview image from a raw file to show updates to development must do so and much, much larger amounts of data. Running Lightroom on a 4K display would be painfully slow unless you size the LR window way down. I've already seen people find standard 30" displays really slow to redraw...careful what you wish for, you may get it and find it not to your liking :~)

Telecaster

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 11:11:46 pm »

A retina screen sounds interesting, but for LR users the following note from Jeff Schewe gives pause:

Yes, this is one reason why I intend to stick for now with my 1920x1200 monitors for editing. My interest in 4k & up displays is about using them as dedicated presentation devices.

-Dave-

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 09:07:44 am »

Yes, this is one reason why I intend to stick for now with my 1920x1200 monitors for editing. My interest in 4k & up displays is about using them as dedicated presentation devices.

-Dave-

I don't have a speed problem using a 30" monitor in 2560x1600 resolution on my MacBook Pro 15" Retina late 2013. I have not tried 4K. Lloyd Chambers seem to be happy running at 4K on a MacBook Pro http://diglloyd.com/articles/Recommended/DellUP2414Q.html

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 02:47:18 pm »

My order has been placed, deliver on Oct 28.  Yippee, looks to be quite the beats.  Fully tricked it out.

Kevin Raber
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Dr Tone

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 03:22:40 pm »

I need to see how well it calibrates and how well it handles Lightroom first.  I was really disappointed by the mediocre ATI graphics card, when the all mighty Nvidia 980m is being put in current gaming laptops.

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 03:50:02 pm »

That makes two of us Kevin. I got the i7 chip, 3tb fusion drive, and 4 gb video memory. I'll upgrade the RAM myself, Apple is brutal on the memory prices!!  Also got a new Time Capsule to go with!
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 04:44:39 pm »

I understand that Capture One 8 takes full advantage of processing power of multi core processors.  I am really hoping C1 performs on this new machine.

Kevin
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

elolaugesen

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 04:56:10 pm »

Ayone know colour gamut yet?...  Ie % of adobe rgb.  Etc etc. 

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 05:00:09 pm »

I understand that Capture One 8 takes full advantage of processing power of multi core processors.  I am really hoping C1 performs on this new machine.

Kevin

What is more interesting is the support for GPU's http://macperformanceguide.com/blog/2014/20140421_1-MacPro2013-PhaseOne-CaptureOnePro.html

One thing that Lightroom does not utilize. Lightroom does use all cores on the CPU.

BJL

New 27-inch 5K "Retina" display iMac
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 05:19:03 pm »

The new 5K screens (from Apple and Dell) are 5120px wide, but due to the video-centric 16:9 "wide-but-short" shape, are "only" 2880px high. I can see an advantage to the "pixel height" closing in on the height of our 4:3 and 3:2 still images, with some room at the side for editing controls.

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2014, 07:32:06 am »

One aspect of super high rez displays is the fact that apps like Lightroom that must rip the preview image from a raw file to show updates to development must do so and much, much larger amounts of data. Running Lightroom on a 4K display would be painfully slow unless you size the LR window way down.

I would like to know more about this potential pitfall... Would updating LR to take better advantage of GPU's not potentially resolve this?

How much slower are we talking? I have not read about anyone running into this as a real world issue, but I am keen to hear more about it..

The next gen of NEC spectra views are on their way and they will have 4k options.. be good to know how this jigsaw all comes together as little point strapping a 4k monitor to LR if its going to make it perform like a slug.

Im personally not all that excited by 4k / 5k monitors - I can see a good reason if you shoot 4k video... but for shooting stills...?
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2014, 07:37:09 am »

I would like to know more about this potential pitfall... Would updating LR to take better advantage of GPU's not potentially resolve this?

How much slower are we talking? I have not read about anyone running into this as a real world issue, but I am keen to hear more about it..

The next gen of NEC spectra views are on their way and they will have 4k options.. be good to know how this jigsaw all comes together as little point strapping a 4k monitor to LR if its going to make it perform like a slug.

Im personally not all that excited by 4k / 5k monitors - I can see a good reason if you shoot 4k video... but for shooting stills...?

Josh, I referred to Lloyd Chambers review of a 4K display connected to a 15" MBP late 2013 and he did not mention any slowness. When I use a 2560x1600 external display no slowness at all and this is about 4MP where 4K is 8MP and although doubled I would not expect editing in the develop module to slow to a crawl at all.
I think you need to see it :)

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2014, 07:46:55 am »

For what it's worth here is a short, noisy video of a demo by Toms Hardware at the Apple even yesterday.  The one thing I took away was that the text (mail) and buttons (Final Cut Pro) looked reasonably sized.
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/imac-retina-5k-hands-on,news-19792.html
I'm thinking of getting the 4k 32" Dell (down to $1800 now)

MrSmith

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2014, 06:07:40 am »

i can’t get excited about 4/5k screens, while they are great for viewing finished work they are useless to retouch on as the 100% view is too small and the pixel doubling when viewing at at above 1:1 resolution means judging sharpness is impossible. they are more contrasty and don't have the gamut of a good HD graphics monitor with a bigger pixel pitch that means you can work easily at 100% view.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up