Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon 9000 batch scan problem  (Read 5272 times)

how786

Nikon 9000 batch scan problem
« on: November 24, 2005, 01:05:58 am »

Hi,

OK. I scan let's say 2 strips of 12 negatives. I preview one and adjust it on-screen. I then save the settings and give the profile a name. Next, I highlight all 12 thumbnails. (Using either SHIFT or CONTROL key methods) I then apply the custom profile from the settings tab. Using this method I have NO problem, usually, with color negatives. The custom profile applies to all 12 negs (usually). With B&W negs, the profile will only apply to the first of 12 negatives. The remaining scan as though no profile were applied!

Now, here is the funny thing, if I let the scanner THINK that my B&W negs are color negs and set it as such, when I apply the profile it works on all 12. I then switch to grayscale in Photoshop.

I have also tried applying custom settings with B&W negs using a saved 'curve' setting, and also going to the top menu 'scanner, setting, overall, save/import' and the same problem occurs.

So, for now, I simply let the scanner believe my B&W negs are color.

Is this a universal issue? Do others have this problem?

Recently began to notice that, at times, when doing a batch of 12 color negs that perhaps 2 or 3 negatives are scanned with no correction whatsoever. Most accept the batch settings I apply but 2 or 3 or 4 in a row towards the end do not. Even after doing a complete uninstal and reinstalling/updating the program as per Nikon's detailed instructions. I'm not sure how to proceed. Could this be a hardware issue?

Any ideas?
 Howard

b2martin

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 01:22:46 am »

I do a lot of batch scanning of color negatives using a Nikon 9000.  When I want to load new settings for scanning, I load the settings, then click set user settings, eject the carrier and insert it again.  I find that with this procedure the new settings I set as user settings will apply to all negatives.  I don't know if this will work with you B&W negatives since I have not scanned any.

how786

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 03:55:45 am »

I do a lot of batch scanning of color negatives using a Nikon 9000.  When I want to load new settings for scanning, I load the settings, then click set user settings, eject the carrier and insert it again.  I find that with this procedure the new settings I set as user settings will apply to all negatives.  I don't know if this will work with you B&W negatives since I have not scanned any.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=52062\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for your help. Can you give more details? Don't you have to highlite all the negs you want to scan?

b2martin

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 10:49:36 am »

I have a number of scanning setups that I saved for medium format, 35mm, old medium format, old 35mm, etc.  I generally only include crop size, ICE on, GEM on, ROC on for very old film, and 16 bit output.  I have Adobe RGB selected as the profile to use for the scan output.  I set the crop size using a preview scan - all other parameters can be set from the Tool Chest.  I make all adjustments other than the above using Photoshop CS and work with the 16 bit files until I complete all adjustments and I then convert to 8 - bit TIF files.  

My basic batch scan flow for 35mm and medium format is:
1. Insert film carrier and after it is ready to scan thumbnails I click the "settings" triangle and select the scan settings I have saved for this type scan.  I then click the "Set User Settings" in that window.  I then eject the film holder and insert it again. If you don't do this step the scan settings you selected will only apply to the first image.  

2. I click the button to scan thumbnails.  I then select the images I want to batch scan using the thumbnail drawer.  I do not make a "Preview" scan unless I want to adjust the crop area to something different than what I have stored in the scan settings.  

3. Click the "Scan" button and specify how to name the images, select the folder to save the images, select the file format, and click OK button to start the batch scan.  

I use Nikon Scan 4.0.2 and only scan in the standalone mode.  I open the folder where the images are being saved with Windows Picture & Fax viewer so I can monitor scanner progress.  I do not use the computer for anything else while the scans are in progress - causes problems if you do.  

If you do a preview scan, any modifications you do to the scan parameters in the preview mode will only apply to that image.  This is great since it allows you to customize scan parameters for only the images that need it.  I very seldom do this.  

I have batch scanned about 2000 images to date and have a lot more to go.

how786

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 11:33:09 am »

Thanks very much. I'll give this a try.
How did you figure out that you must eject and reinsert the carrier?
That is so random.
:>
Howard

how786

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2005, 07:20:23 pm »

Hmmm.....it did not work for me on batch scan. The correction only applied to the first negative, still.  
 (scratching head)
  No idea............
 BTW, when you apply a setting to a batch is there any need to have 'auto-exposure' checked in the batch pref?

Best
Howard

b2martin

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2005, 10:48:06 pm »

You must click on "set user settings" after you select the scan settings you saved.  When you do this it makes them the default settings for the scanner.  Eject the carrier and insert it again.  When you insert a film carrier, the default settings will apply to all scans unless you change them.  If you make a change to any of the settings, the change will only apply to the first image.  

If you are generating "Previews" then the change you make to the preview will only apply to that image.  With this approach you can modify the scan parameters for each image, but you have to make preview scans of all images you plan to batch scan and this adds to the total scan time.  If I do a preview scan it is only to adjust the image crop, no other adjustments since I make all adjustments using Photoshop.

how786

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 12:46:48 am »

I'm pretty sure I did all that. I printed out your detailed earlier reply and followed it exactly. It's all too bizarre. Later, I SEEMED to be able to do a batch by adjusting the brightness and contrast in the color balance window, saving that setting and applying that setting to a batch.
 It is very strange. I also found that if I scan B&W negs as if they were color negs and then switch to grayscale in PS, that works, too. (boggle)
  Nikon tech told me it was a software issue and gave me detailed info on removing the program, sweeping the registry and reinstalling the program. I did so yet nothing changed.

I think either we are missing something obvious or that the hardware tiself is screwed up. Recently, even some of my color scans behave as though the settings were not applied. Out of 12 negs, the first 8 or 9 scan well but the last 3 or 4 come out very dark.

Perhaps I'll try to get a higher level Nikon tech, if that is possible.

I appreciate your help, btw. Thanks very much.
   Howard

how786

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2005, 06:18:55 pm »

[I open the folder where the images are being saved with Windows Picture & Fax viewer so I can monitor scanner progress.  I do not use the computer for anything else while the scans are in progress - causes problems if you do.  

How do I get to view with the Windows Viewer you speak of?
Any photo I try to view defaults to PS.

Howard

b2martin

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2005, 03:47:43 am »

I save images from the scanner on my D drive, so I double click "My Computer", double click "Drive D", double click the folder where the images are being saved. Files in the folder will be displayed in various ways depending on how you have this setup in the "View" options at the top of the screen.  Click on "View" at the top of the screen and you will see several options - I select "Thumbnails".  Right click on one of the image files and click "Open With" and you will have the option to select the Progran to open this file type (Jpg, TIF, etc).  This will set the default program Windows will use to open this file type - You will have to set this up for all file types you use (TIF, JPG, etc).  I selected "Windows Picture & Fax Viewer".  This is not a color managed viewer, so images using Adobe RGB will appear flat - anything in sRGB will look normal.

I click the "-" to ikon it down when I need to view Nikon Scan.  This is an easy way to see progress for batch scans since Nikon Scan does not give you feedback on batch scan progress.

how786

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2005, 06:00:37 pm »

Thanks for the reply.
For some reasdon, I'm not  getting email notification and just noticed this.
Howard
Pages: [1]   Go Up