Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lanzarote  (Read 2698 times)

brianrybolt

Lanzarote
« on: October 05, 2014, 05:56:55 am »

I'm spending 7 days in Lanzarote beginning 15 October.  I've read a few 'guides' and seen photos on google so I have a few ideas BUT if anyone out there knows of 'off the beaten' track areas where there are interesting forms, views, etc., I'de like to hear from you.

Many thanks,
Brian

interpolator

Re: Lanzarote
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 11:21:58 pm »

I just came from Lanzarote 3 weeks ago.  It is a bit hard to get off of the "beaten path" in Lanzarote as the island is pretty small.  However, it is a very diverse place.  I found it best to set up a "base" in one area and explore from there.  Most of the east coast is where the tourist resorts are located.  On the southwest part of the island you can go to Salinas de Janubio and El Golfo.  In this area the old volcanic lava flows are of great interest and the coast is very picturesque.  Walking around in lava beds is not my thing but maybe you might like it.

You can also explore the Parque Nacional De Timanfaya.  This national park has limited access via roadways.  However hiking and camel tours are available to get into the areas of the park where the cars do not go.  I am not sure how many pictures you will be able to take from sitting on a camel though!   Arrangements to set hiking tours up should be done well in advance. 

At the north of the Lanzarote are some spectacular vistas from the Miradore del Rio and the road westward along the coast. A visit to the small island of Isla Graciosa may be of interest.  It is without many tourist services which make it attractive to people trying to get away.

You may wish to read the travel book Canary Islands published by DK Eyewitness Travel.  It has a nice chapter about Lanzarote with maps and practical descriptions of points of interest in the island.

If you have the time you can take the 25 minute ferry from Playa Blanca to Fuerteventura.  Fuerteventura is a larger island that is less touristed and sparsely populated.  Rental cars are affordable and can be obtained/dropped at the ferry terminals.

Internaut

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 03:00:07 pm »

I've had my winter sun escape in Lanzarote, the past two years, and will be going back in November.  I don't have a lot to add to the above, but:

- If it's purely the nature side of the photographic experience  you're after, then guided hikes are probably the best way
- However, there are also some nice villages; Arrieta, for example
- The old capital of Teguise is very picturesque, and they have a colourful market on Sunday morning
- The Timanfaya coach tour is well worth it for the views, but beware some of the coaches have tinted windows.

It is worth booking a couple of organised tours (especially a northern tour, I think), as these may point you at places you might want to go back to.  Obviously, the tours don't always operate at the best hours for photography; the light can be very harsh.

Wherever you go in Lanzarote, bear in mind the heat and the strength of the sun.  Hydration and sun protection are both important.

brianrybolt

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 04:54:07 am »

Thank you Internaut & Interpolator for the information.  I'll be boarding my plane in a few hours.  I did find out you can take gyrocopter trips for not too much money.  A very different take on the Landscape.
Cheers,
Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up