Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grand Canyon at dawn (and maybe sunset ...)  (Read 1759 times)

jeremyrh

Grand Canyon at dawn (and maybe sunset ...)
« on: October 03, 2014, 11:01:17 am »

I have a very brief (one day) window of opportunity to dash from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon. I am thinking that the best thing to do is set out early and be there at dawn for sunrise shots, but ... can someone who has done this give me some advice on where I need to be, and when, to get the best shots? I don't want to crawl out of bed for nothing :-) Thanks for any tips !!!!!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Grand Canyon at dawn (and maybe sunset ...)
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 11:43:58 am »

... can someone who has done this give me some advice on where I need to be, and when, to get the best shots? I don't want to crawl out of bed for nothing :-)... Thanks for any tips !!!!!

Tip #1:

Do get up very early, so that you are there at least half an hour before sunrise. For the attached shot, I got up at 4 a.m., and I was in a hotel just a few miles off the park gates.

Tip #2:

Take Highway 64 and drive to the Mother Point (see the map)

Tip #3:

Walk a few yards from the parking there, find this tree and... voila!  :)

« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 12:31:21 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Colorado David

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 12:36:13 pm »

Don't forget to check for the compass heading for the sunrise on the date of your shoot.  It's possible it could be significantly different than the position in Slobodan's image.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 12:50:02 pm »

Good point, David. Mine was shot in July, 2001. Even the tree may not be there anymore.

jeremyrh

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 04:05:02 am »

Thanks guys - and yes, I need to do my research - I don't want to drive out there and find the sun rising over a burger truck :-)

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 12:04:54 am »

The Photographers Ephemeris.  Get the app for your smart phone.  It gives azimuth as well as sunrise and sunset times (moon too) and a lot of other great information you can check for any date and time you select.  It will also give the azimuth of where the sun rises for objects above the regular horizon that blocks the sun until a number of degree above the normal horizon azimuth. 

Peter McLennan

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 11:06:04 am »

There are many good sunrise viewpoints along that highway.  Google Earth and sunrise azumith and time data should allow you to isolate a few good prospects before you leave.

The earlier your arrival on location, the better your chances of a good choice. It will be damn cold.

Happy hunting!
Pages: [1]   Go Up