Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canvas matte to satin  (Read 1336 times)

huguito

Canvas matte to satin
« on: October 02, 2014, 05:00:50 pm »

When I print on paper, one of the finishes I like more, by far, is lightly textured matte paper finished on satin coating.

I am wondering if the same apply to canvas.
I use Epson exhibition satin, and the coating I use is also in a satin sheen.

Would I get a much different or lesser quality result if the print is made on matte canvas finished on the same satin coating?
If anything else the matte canvas seem to be a bit cheaper in most brands than the satin or gloss versions.

Hugo

Landscapes

Re: Canvas matte to satin
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 07:49:59 pm »

This is what I'm seeing.  The satin canvas I guess allows you to use the photo black ink, which is important for the guys who have printers that don't easily swing between the blacks.  So if you already have photo black loaded for printing on glossy/luster papers, you don't want to have to make changes for going to canvas.

But I am seeing that its my coating that determines the final sheen, not the canvas.  I have also found terrible head strikes with the satin/glossy canvases since the edges curl up as the printer prints, and as you say, the matte is cheaper.  So there really isn't much of a reason to go with something other than a matte canvas I don't think.  I mix my timeless in a ratio of 20/80 gloss/matte for the matte look  (it needs a bit of gloss to just make it stick better or else is has this talcum powder feel), and for a satin/gloss finish, i use an 80/20 mixture of gloss/matte.

huguito

Re: Canvas matte to satin
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 08:23:48 pm »

Hi Landscapes

I could make a custom profile of photo ink on a matte canvas, did it before and the results where pretty darn close.
If I can get the satin finish I like using the same Polycrilic coating I use on mate papers it would be worth a try.
Seems like the same canvases are a bit cheaper in the matte finish than gloss or satin.
Probably because they save the last step of the glossy coat

One more experiment to add in the list  :)

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up