Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Live View vs View Finder Focus Question  (Read 885 times)

nvw

Live View vs View Finder Focus Question
« on: October 02, 2014, 03:02:49 pm »

I have a Nikon D7100. I thought I had a problem with focusing but after following the instructions on how to test focus here...http://photographylife.com/how-to-quickly-test-your-dslr-for-autofocus-issues, I seem to be ok.

What I did notice is that when zooming in on my test shots, the focus is noticeably sharper with the images taken with Live View vs through the view finder. I saw this regardless of the lens I was using. The Photography Life post explained why this might be (phase detection vs contrast detection). The difference in focus is most noticeable with the RAW files, the TIF and JPG Live View were sharper than the view finder but not as much. Since I will always be converting to jpg and tif anyway, it seems like a non issue. My question is, is it a non issue? I am new to this but I am quickly becoming more critical of my images. When sharpness really matters, should I be shooting in Live View?

The files were too big to attach but if it is helpful I can provide links to them. I was shooting at F/5, 1/3200s, ISO 100.

Thanks for you help and advise.

Torbjörn Tapani

Re:
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 03:22:29 pm »

You can tune the phase detect focus with micro adjustment for each lens.

The contrast focus in liveview is read off the sensor so it is more accurate.

It is a real issue. I would do the adjustment but for critical focus use magnified liveview and manual focus.
Pages: [1]   Go Up