Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 180mm for Arca Rm3di feedback?  (Read 1464 times)

Kevin Sink

• Kevin Sink Photography
180mm for Arca Rm3di feedback?
« on: October 01, 2014, 10:45:05 am »

Has anyone used a 180mm lens on a technical field camera such as the Arca Rm3di?  I saw that Nikor has a lens at this focal length, and was wondering if it was a super sharp lens, how big the image circle was, and what it was like to use.  Thanks for the replies in advance.
Kevin

Kevin Sink Photography

Rod.Klukas

• http://www.rodklukas.com
Re: 180mm for Arca Rm3di feedback?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 10:57:45 am »

Has anyone used a 180mm lens on a technical field camera such as the Arca Rm3di?  I saw that Nikor has a lens at this focal length, and was wondering if it was a super sharp lens, how big the image circle was, and what it was like to use.  Thanks for the replies in advance.
These older lenses are not Apo-Chromatic and so do not focus all three colors,RGB, well enough for precise and sharp focus.
The best available outside of the Digital models are the Rodenstock Apo-Sironar S lenses, or the Schneider Apo-Symmar-L.
The earlier lens model's had large errors, with especially the red component, too great to achieve anything near excellent results.
A note on use.  These longer focal length lenses, will allow a bit more stop down so with backs up to 60mp you may be able to stop down to about F16.5.
With an 80mp back you can do nice work now at F11-F11.5, where the wide angles lenses are rarely good past F8.5.
In post you may need a bit more contrast and sharpening, but otherwise excellent results can be obtained.
The stopping down also covers some of the focus shift, especially in the red range, that occurs in all lenses.
Personal testing will let you know your acceptable aperture limits.
Hope this helps,
Rod
Rod Klukas
US Representative Arca-Swiss

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 08:46:37 pm »

Hey Rod, I recently picked up the SK Super-Symmar XL 110 and 150 and was thinking of getting rid of Rodie Digitar 135 and 180.  Any ideas how these 8x10 lenses will perform on an MFDB?

Rod.Klukas

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 08:57:20 pm »

Chris,
I have heard of no one at this point using such lenses.  While excellent on 4x5 and 8x10 they are not my choices for digital.
As they are of Wide angle design, I would not be confident but you could always try.
Most wides are very poor except a few apo-Chromatic's like the Apo-Grandagon 55mm from Rodenstock.
It is the rare exception.
The 35mm and 45mm Apo-Grandagons are not as good.  The 35mm especially shows focus shift in the red wave lengths.
Let me know if you do some testing.
Rod
Rod Klukas

Rod.Klukas

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 09:00:36 pm »

Hey Rod, I recently picked up the SK Super-Symmar XL 110 and 150 and was thinking of getting rid of Rodie Digitar 135 and 180.  Any ideas how these 8x10 lenses will perform on an MFDB?
The digarons from Rodenstock are better, especially stopped down to about 16-16.5 with 60mp backs and less.
We learned this through testing, as the earlier, long, Digarons were often modified film designs, though apo-Chromatic.

I would keep them for digital.

Rod
Rod Klukas

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 09:05:33 pm »

Yeah, it makes sense that a similar focal length with a much smaller IC would have greater acuity.  Will test!
Pages: [1]   Go Up