Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Linking RAW and JPGs in Lightroom  (Read 2852 times)

dmward

Linking RAW and JPGs in Lightroom
« on: September 30, 2014, 10:27:37 am »

I have been shooting raw plus JPG with my Fuji X system cameras.

When I load the shoot into Lightroom I've been leaving the JPGs out of the load.

Recently, I was looking at some of the JPGs and thought it would be useful to have them linked to the raw files.

i.e. If I flag, rate, or otherwise mark a raw file, I'd like the corresponding JPG to be flagged, rated or marked the same.

The goal is to keep the raw and jpg files synced.

Is there a way to accomplish this?

Thanks.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Linking RAW and JPGs in Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 10:36:58 am »

Unless you really need both formats (eg for immediate transmission from a live event), raw+jpeg is a PITA.

That said, you'll have to import the JPEGs into LR if you want them to have the same rating and other metadata as the raw files. So you'd set the Preference / General / JPEGS as separate files and synchronize those folders, and new raw+JPEG pairs would be imported with both files visible. Twice as many thumbnails will now be in LR and you'll keep having to check if you're working with the JPEG or the raw file. PITA....

You can then copy the metadata manually (the Sync button) or use my plugin Syncomatic which syncs metadata between files with matching names or in stacks.

dmward

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 11:47:45 am »

John,
I agree that its a PITA, but I have found one benefit.
With my Fuji X cameras, the JPG fine is used for LCD zooming. That makes it easier to check focus in the camera.
Also, the JPGs are very good for proof gallery without having to spend time in Lightroom fine tuning the raw files.
The problem is doing a first edit to get to a proof gallery collection. If I do it in JPG collection then I have to find a way to also cull the raw files, or other way round.

I just did a quick read of your plug-in and it sounds like it will do the job.

I'll give it a try.

Thanks.

dmward

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 12:38:28 pm »

John,
I downloaded the plug-in, gave it a quick test. Did exactly what I wanted, so I purchased a license key.

Just ran it on a recent wedding to confirm that it does what I want without great complication.

First I tried it using collections, discovered that it will not transfer the ratings, flags, etc. from raw files in collections to JPG files in another collection.

Tried it using the two folders, one raw and the other JPG and it works as advertised.

Then its an easy matter to go into the JPG collection and delete the images with flags and ratings.

Same result just one extra step.

Would be nice if it worked with collections.

Thanks again for your help.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 02:32:34 pm »

It does work with collections as well as folders, so I'm not sure what you may be doing wrong. In fact, collections and folders are almost irrelevant to its operation. The key is to select the images you want to be included in the sync operation. If the images are selected, no matter how many collections or folders are activated, then they will sync.

The Sync Stacks menu command is affected by collections (because stacking in collections isn't available to code), but I don't think you're running that command, are you?

John

dmward

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 11:10:05 pm »

Hmmm,
I tried it with collections three times.
Then went to folders and it worked a charm.
In the collections attempts I had one collection that had all the JPGs and two collections that had flagged raw files
The raw file flags would not sync to the JPG files.
The raw collections were subsets of the larger JPG collection.
Pages: [1]   Go Up