Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Opening dng files from DxO  (Read 4196 times)

forge

Opening dng files from DxO
« on: September 29, 2014, 07:32:18 am »

Hi,
I have a newbie question.
I'm using DXO with Capture One Pro. My workflow is currently to denoise image using DXO, exporting a DNG from DXO and retouching it with Capture One. But when I open the dxo generated dng with Capture One, in the base characteristics tab, the ICC profile used is DNG File Neutral instead of my camera profile.

Do you think I need to change the ICC profile from DNG File Neutral to the ICC profile of my camera included in C1P ?

Or is it a useless operation and I only need to edit my dxo generated dng in C1P using DNG File Neutral ?

brntoki

Re: Opening dng files from DxO
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 08:34:55 am »

As long as you're getting the denoise results performed in DxO, you can treat the ICC profile as a simple preference; whatever you like best as your starting point. I admit I don't know how DxO operates and am a little surprised you can see the de-noised image in another editor still in a RAW format, but if it works for you, then great. And, why can't you tag/embed your camera ICC profile into the DNG from DxO. If it's possible and that's what you want, it would seem the optimal way to do it.

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 11:11:40 am »

Hi,
I have a newbie question.
I'm using DXO with Capture One Pro. My workflow is currently to denoise image using DXO, exporting a DNG from DXO and retouching it with Capture One. But when I open the dxo generated dng with Capture One, in the base characteristics tab, the ICC profile used is DNG File Neutral instead of my camera profile.

Do you think I need to change the ICC profile from DNG File Neutral to the ICC profile of my camera included in C1P ?

Or is it a useless operation and I only need to edit my dxo generated dng in C1P using DNG File Neutral ?

Hi Forge,

It sounds like a curious workflow, and I am not sure you are seeing the 'de-noised' result in Capture One anyway.

What camera model is it?  Have you tried taking the manufacturers original file into capture one in the first place?

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 01:06:38 pm »

and I am not sure you are seeing the 'de-noised' result in Capture One anyway.
DxO can output a linear DNG with adjustments baked in... for as long as color transform (and things like WB/tone curves, etc - because those can negatively impact what C1 does later) were not applied/baked in by DxO, ICC profile shall be OK to apply (for a color transform purposes) in C1 (if it allows to do so).

forge

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 01:17:43 pm »

Hi,
I know it's a curious workflow but the denoise ("Prime"= algorithm in DxO is really powerful. But I love C1P for every other aspect ;-) (I should also give a try to the denoise algorithm in C1P)

I tried to open the 2 images with C1P (from dxo and from the manufacturer of my camera Pentax k-r): the one which has been processed by DxO seems less saturated and after I apply the ICC profile from my camera, the colors pops more (a bit too more for me) and I have a problem with some colors rendering too violet.

I think I found a thread on the phase one forum with someone having the same problem : http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=17023

I checked what was ticked in Dxo:the WB is the original one, Exposure compensation set to auto - Smart, Dxo Smart Lighting - Auto Light, Noise Reduction On, Color Rendition set to Generic with Camera default profile and Optical Corrections on.

I'm thinking of dropping the use of C1P on images that I processed before with dxo (which are only images with big noise).

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 06:04:38 am »

As mentioned in that Phase One Forum thread, we only support DNG files on a camera to camera basis.

So perhaps try the original RAW file directly in Capture One.
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 09:26:15 am »

As mentioned in that Phase One Forum thread, we only support DNG files on a camera to camera basis.

So perhaps try the original RAW file directly in Capture One.

the point here is to consider DNG not as a raw file really, but as an intermediate format in your workflow... like .TIFF - there is a market of people who might want to use C1 not exactly as a raw converter, but rather as a postprocessing tool working with converted images... so why again neglect such market segment ?

allegretto

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 11:04:53 am »

forge

what type of cam
era(s) are you using?

I have tried several ways... DxO>C1P... and C1P all the way... LR5>DxO

Maybe just my eye but I find;

- There is NOTHING better than straight C1P for Canon RAW. It is the nines. The best by far.
- Leica DNG LR>DxO or DxO>C1P. Files a bit dull in C1P only
- Nikon (well, nothing really works, the files are sooooo red to my eye and it's very hard to neutralize this without a lot of work on other colors too) but C1P (alone) ~= LR>DxO
Fuji only tried LR>DxO so difficult for me to say
Oly definitely LR>DxO (and back usually, as a Tiff)

This is not meant to invalidate anyone else's taste/experience... just what seems to be for me

forge

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 01:51:23 pm »

Hi, sorry for the late reply !
I use Olympus, Pentax and Sony cameras !
Pages: [1]   Go Up