Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon iPF8400/8300 dmax values when printing with varying humidity levels  (Read 1289 times)

samueljohnchia

Hi, I'm just wondering what are the dmax numbers that users of the Canon iPF8300/iPF8400 are seeing. Over on the wiki page, you can see various users report different dmax numbers with the LUCIA EX inks.

At the moment, the blackest black I measured on glossy is on Harman by Hahnemuhle gloss baryta. L*1.0 - dmax 2.95. The blackest on matte was on Epson Hot Press Natural. L* 13.5 - dmax 1.78. These black patches were measured over 48 hours after printing, and I measured a variety of targets printed. Some of them are the calibration targets from the printer. Most of them were deliberately not handled with the greatest of care - so I was quite surprised to see these numbers. I remeasured the targets the following day to be sure, and took multiple measurements changing the i1 Pro measurement aperture position, calibrating the spectro frequently.

Do note that I created custom media settings to lay down even more ink than the standard media settings would allow. For glossy I'm usually on Premium Semigloss Ppr 280 - High, and matte is Fine Art Photo - High, if the paper can take it.

Just recently, something interesting came to my attention. When I was test printing at my dealer's, which is air conditioned and dry. I did not measure the RH of the air however, I know from experience that air conditioning in my studio brings the RH down to about 50% or a bit less. I was able to achieve very high ink loads, and dmax was outstanding, beyond expectations. When I printed at home, the printer is not in an air conditioned room and RH varies from 60+ to 80+. The paper (stored in a controlled dry area at 40-45% RH) printed OK initially. But I conjecture it soaked up some moisture from the air because the same ink loads on the same paper resulted in some micro-pooling of ink. The resulting dmax was also quite a bit less, L* 2.2 for gloss and L* 15.5 for matte.

To experiment, I have just bought two dehumidifiers which I plan to place under the printer to dry the paper before it receives the ink, and also to create a drier immediate environment around the printer.

Has anyone noticed this relationship between humidity and dmax to vary with each other so significantly? I know that some Rolland printers have a heating plate at the platen to vapourise water/solvents in the ink more rapidly to allow for higher ink loads, especially for uncoated media.

Another interesting thing is that the highest dmax numbers I measured were on the calibration charts printed from the printer, not from the driver. I wondering if the lower print mode (less number of passes) has something to do with it since I always print using Highest (max no. of passes).

arobinson7547

Re: Canon iPF8400/8300 dmax values when printing with varying humidity levels
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 07:36:01 pm »

Sure, different conditions can yield different measurements. But given the numbers you have listed above, it seem the differences are not visually perceivable. (not really)

That just seems like 'normal' deviation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up