Poll

Canon: In Denial - or Looking at The Whole Picture?

In Denial
- 21 (60%)
Looking at the Whole Picture
- 14 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon: In Denial - or Looking at The Whole Picture?  (Read 8698 times)

allegretto

Re: Canon: In Denial - or Looking at The Whole Picture?
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2014, 03:47:37 pm »

What fraction of the SLR market do you think "MF replacement" is for either Canon or Nikon?  My guess is that it is one nice source of profit in the mix, and adds to brand prestige which helps to sell far higher volume, lower-priced models, but it is far from the dominant source of revenues or profits in their SLR divisions, or even in their "professional and serious amateur SLR" divisions, where journalism, sports, wildlife and such are bigger markets.

Warning: the opinions and wish-lists expressed in this forum (like many online enthusiast forums) are massively skewed relative to the overall actual real-world market for interchangeable lens cameras!  As an example, if the enthusiasms expressed in posts here were a representative sample of purchasing patterns, the camera market MF makers would all be clamoring to ditch the puny, Japanese-created 645 format in favor of cameras with 6x6 or larger sensors.  (Probably with a permanently attached single focal length lens too.)

Digital back for Rollei DLR's anyone….?

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2014, 04:43:51 pm »

What fraction of the SLR market do you think "MF replacement" is for either Canon or Nikon?

It'd be nice to see a breakdown of the entire photographic market in terms of owners of MF gear, FF DSLR gear, APC DSLR gear, and P&S gear. (I have a hunch the cell phone market dwarfs it all, thus the eventual death of P&S gear.) Is there any web site with this info?
~ CB

BJL

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2014, 09:18:59 pm »

It'd be nice to see a breakdown of the entire photographic market in terms of owners of MF gear, FF DSLR gear, APC DSLR gear, and P&S gear. (I have a hunch the cell phone market dwarfs it all, thus the eventual death of P&S gear.) Is there any web site with this info?
Yes, I also an very curious. Presumably, by far the biggest and most profitable sellers of photographic equipment are Apple and Samsung, heirs to the Kodak gestalt of You Press the Button, We Do the Rest", but above and beyond, that, I would love to see the details.

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2014, 04:23:07 am »

I'd hardly expect a Canon company guy to come out and say their sensors are not the best out there.
I don't think there are any complaints for high ISO performance (there isn't a lot of difference between the makers here)
Dynamic range hands on real world no Canon's DR isn't as good as other makers and that included full frame bodies as well as APS-C

In fact their FF bodies have worse DR than a crop body camera with a Sony/Toshiba sensor
Doesn't seem to have dented their market share though maybe it's a non issue for most

powerslave12r

• Flickr
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2014, 11:10:04 am »

This poll needs a third option.

'Perhaps, they are trying their best and falling short on some fronts.'

http://www.flickr.com/garagenoise
DP2M | X-M1 | 6D | TS-E24IIL | EF24-105L

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2014, 11:25:54 am »

This poll needs a third option.
'Perhaps, they are trying their best and falling short on some fronts.'

True. A major assumption is that Canon's collective brain trust is constantly growing & improving, and that tech breakthroughs are constantly happening within their walls.

Let's hope they don't do a Kodak.
~ CB

NancyP

« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2014, 08:01:16 pm »

At a total of 34 votes, I can guarantee that the Canon marketing people aren't noticing us.   ::)

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2014, 08:43:16 pm »

Too bad the fake chuck westfall blog closed down. This would've made an excellent post.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

powerslave12r

• Flickr
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2014, 10:04:52 pm »

I wonder if this Canon's way of damage control?

http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/10/multilayer-sensors-are-coming-from-canon-cr2/

If something comes out of it, I'll be a happy camper.
http://www.flickr.com/garagenoise
DP2M | X-M1 | 6D | TS-E24IIL | EF24-105L
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up