Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Schneider Kreuznach 80mm LS f/2.8 vs Mamiya / Phase One 80mm f/2.8  (Read 7023 times)

dylancoombe

Schneider Kreuznach 80mm LS f/2.8 vs Mamiya / Phase One 80mm f/2.8
« on: September 28, 2014, 02:51:34 am »

I'm wondering if there is a (large) difference in quality between the Schneider Kreuznach 80mm LS f/2.8 and the Mamiya / Phase One 80mm f/2.8. I have been shooting the SK for around a month now on a Phase 645DF with P30+ back and am extremely happy with the results however I'm trying to fund the purchase of a RZ67 Pro IID and the adapter (already have the Pro II and a bunch of lenses & gear for it) without totally getting rid of the Phase One setup. Is there a big difference in the quality - sharpness/aberration etc. between the two? Losing the Leaf Shutter would not bother me if I was to downgrade.

Graham Welland

Re: Schneider Kreuznach 80mm LS f/2.8 vs Mamiya / Phase One 80mm f/2.8
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 03:35:53 am »

The leaf shutter really only helps with flash work with this lens. I have both D and LS versions and the difference without high speed flash sync is minimal in my experience.
Graham

Plateau Light

• Robert Park Fine Art Photographer
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 01:51:27 pm »

I have both and was a bit disappointed that the LS was largely indistinguishable except for the extreme corners where the LS was a tiny bit better.
If you don't need the LS you are not gaining much over the D version and taking a hit on the wallet.

RomanN.

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 05:25:30 pm »

hi,
it is interesting that the Schneider-Phase one 80 mm has no real advantage over the Phase one/mamiya sekor D. I own the Phase one / sekor D and the older Mamiya Sekor non-D. I tested them both and could not find any differerence between.I hoped that the D-version would have some advantage wide open but it is not. So the old Mamiya sekor will be sold for 200 euro and it is simply the same lens inside as the D.
It would be funny, when the schneider would be the same lens plus shutter. Anyway when leaf shutter is needed so Mamiya RZ sekor 2,8/110 is very well working up 5,6 even with 80 mln back.

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 08:58:18 pm »

hi,
it is interesting that the Schneider-Phase one 80 mm has no real advantage over the Phase one/mamiya sekor D. I own the Phase one / sekor D and the older Mamiya Sekor non-D. I tested them both and could not find any differerence between.I hoped that the D-version would have some advantage wide open but it is not. So the old Mamiya sekor will be sold for 200 euro and it is simply the same lens inside as the D.
It would be funny, when the schneider would be the same lens plus shutter. Anyway when leaf shutter is needed so Mamiya RZ sekor 2,8/110 is very well working up 5,6 even with 80 mln back.

While the older 80mm is a fine lens, in my testing it does not match the large aperture performance of the newer D or LS versions.

http://captureintegration.com/lens-testing/

Chromatic aberrations are more prevalent as well. With that said, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the legacy 80mm lenses for someone with a restricted budget.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 02:35:53 pm »

While the older 80mm is a fine lens, in my testing it does not match the large aperture performance of the newer D or LS versions.

http://captureintegration.com/lens-testing/

Chromatic aberrations are more prevalent as well. With that said, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the legacy 80mm lenses for someone with a restricted budget.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration

Exactly. I owned the non D and used it with both the AFDIII and DF with both a P45+ and IQ160.  The D is a better performer all around. Much less CA, better contrast and corners.   The D also has the AF/MF clutch.  I have never shot the LS version. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up