Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP support and help for my HPZ3100  (Read 1704 times)

randal21

HP support and help for my HPZ3100
« on: September 26, 2014, 12:23:26 pm »

I am still wrestling with my newly acquired z3100 and can't get by a message "please load roll paper for next job" I am on a Mac. 10.8.5 OSX. I cannot find a place to download... Or even check on a revised firmware for Mac. Is there a hotline to call like Epson? At this point I will pay to have the problem solved. Otherwise anyone want a good deal on a Z3100?  Thanks

dseelig

Re: HP support and help for my HPZ3100
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 12:58:57 pm »

Turn off your printer try to start over. Make sure you are on the right way to load your paper either roll or sheet highly suggest roll paper for the 3100 sheet is a bitch with it. Hope that helps. PS I run it on mavericks no troubles

randal21

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 01:21:53 pm »

Thanks. I have turned it off several times since this display message happened. Is it normal to have the printer take almost 10 minutes to get ready to print? Have loaded sheet paper correctly as it tell me it is ready and fed AOK. What is the version of your firmware? Have a link where I can sucessfully find the firmware version and download it? Any number to call with HP?  Thanks so much as its pretty frustrating right now. After buying it and having hassles I rounded up an Epson 7800 and was printing in 10 minutes! All this unfolded as my 7900 clogged and was faced with a $1800-2000 printhead replacement which some people have had it clogging again on their new printhead!

William Chitham

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 01:43:08 pm »

I've had a similar frustrating experience in the past, here are a couple of suggestions: maybe a cancelled/unfinished job stored in the printer that expects roll paper, that would persist despite turning off and on. Try pressing the red "Cancel" button on printer front panel above the power button or press the Menu button and go to Job Management - Job Queue and see if the last job has completed. Otherwise maybe you have "use roll paper" selected in the print driver/set up somewhere instead of "select paper source automatically" or "use manual feed".

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 04:44:08 pm »

What about the advice Ernst gave you on the previous topic you posted about this issue?
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=93382.0

Have you made sure that there is no job in the queue waiting for a roll paper (from previous owner)?
Try emptying the job queue.
What happens if you load a roll (or a big sheet and saying that it is a roll)?

randal21

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 06:13:10 pm »

I am not finding an option for job management - job queue option. Heeeeeeelpppppp. I am drowning .....

dajaka

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 09:01:48 pm »

I'm not totally sure from your message when this error occurs. If it occurs after you actually send a print job to the printer this might help.

There seems to be bug in recent OS X software that causes problems with printing to sheets on the Z3100 (maybe other HP's as well, but thats what I have)

The printer doesn't get the message that you are printing to sheets. In photoshop you need to click on  "print settings" in the print dialog and set up your parameters as needed. Make sure under "print quality" its set to Manual Feed. then click save to go back to the photoshop print settings. Now click AGAIN on the print settings. Then click save again and then try to print. The second time is usually the charm but sometimes I have to do it again.

There seems to be another problem that I think has been discussed here that images don't print the proper size when printing on sheets. I have this problem unless I choose a canned paper size that includes "on sheet media" in the name.

Hope this helps

William Chitham

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 08:34:31 am »

I am not finding an option for job management - job queue option. Heeeeeeelpppppp. I am drowning .....
Looking at the control panel on the printer press the small button below the large blue "ok" button. That should bring up a grid of icons on the screen: scroll through them using the up & down arrows and select using the ok button. The first one is "Paper", the second is "Job Management".

Robert Ardill

• Images of Ireland
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 11:55:12 am »

I have a Z3100 and the one and only problem I have had with it in the 7 years since I bought it was the printer driver (OK, I had to get the belt replaced, but that's normal after 6 years).

The first thing I would suggest is to print a test print from the printer control panel - if that's printing OK, then your printer is fine.

The second thing would be to access your printer over the network by entering its IP address in your browser. If that is OK then your network connection is OK.

Do the same thing with a USB connection to check that you have proper USB connectivity from the Printer Utility.

If that is all OK, then I suggest you uninstall and re-install the driver.

If that still doesn't work I suggest you try it from a different user (I don't know about the Mac, but on Windows you can have problems with the user profile that can mess things up).

If that still doesn't work, try it from a different PC ... or borrow a laptop if you don't have a PC available.

The reason I'm making these suggestions is that it sounds to me like your printer is loading the paper correctly.

I know a number of Z-series owners who've had recurring problems with the printer driver: a Windows update is enough to screw things up.  On my own PC I couldn't access any of the color management features (like create new paper profile) and I also couldn't do it from two other PCs (one Windows 7, one Windows 8 ).  I was able to do it from my laptop over USB (Windows 7), but not over ethernet.  Then ... for some reason unknown to me ... I can now do everything from my PC over ethernet.  I contacted HP several times about this problem and they just said that they had no knowledge of any problems of the kind, and it had to be a problem with my network or with my PC. They even escalated the problem to their development team (allegedly), who came back eventually and said that there was no problem with the printer driver.

I updated the printer to the latest firmware and installed the latest printer drivers, but neither made any difference ... so it seems to be an OS/network level issue that affects the driver.

Robert
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 11:57:13 am by Robert Ardill »
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. - George Santayana

randal21

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 10:59:13 am »

I have decided to pass on my deal I got on the HPZ3100 and also sell my Epson 7900. If interested please let me know.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 12:38:46 pm »

I'm not sure of the message but I had a paper sensor go bad on mine a couple of years ago.  I posted it somewhere here, will try to find the link.  Sensor was cheapish and install was only a few minutes.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 12:48:30 pm »

Here's a link but the message displayed seems like it's different
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=48914.0
Pages: [1]   Go Up