Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any way to make this work?  (Read 939 times)

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
Any way to make this work?
« on: September 26, 2014, 11:26:50 am »

This is a photo that I believe fails because the elements are so cluttered that it lacks a strong design.  However, I really like the glass floats so much that I’m suffering from a strong case of “wanna make it work somehow” syndrome.  I like all the elements in the foreground, the floats, the mask, the trellis and its shadow, but together with other elements I dislike (the palm tree and corn? In the background) I just think it’s too cluttered.
So… please help me put this to rest.  Is it salvageable in some manner that I haven’t seen?  Or… confirmation of no hope at all would help me let it go and gain some peace.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Any way to make this work?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 11:56:53 am »

To "make it work" you'd have to make up your mind. Is it the floats you want, as in this crop? Is it the mask? The trellis?

Pick out what you want (crop with your eye) and frame it in the camera. Unless you want the kind of thing you ended up with, get off the f/2.8 kick. I don't know what that stuff in the upper right is, but for the composition to be anywhere near good it needs to be in focus.

Actually, I don't think your framing was bad. If you'd been at f/16 you'd have a cluttered collection of interesting but unrelated objects, including that building in the background. With the mask in the center it would have been mildly interesting surrealism.

Oh, and you might want to give us a name. pcgpcg doesn't quite cut it. I'll look forward to more posts.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 12:14:06 pm by RSL »
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 12:12:27 pm »

All those issues you mentioned should have been resolved before clicking the shutter. Find what is the most interesting part, find a standpoint, concentrate on that, use an f/stop to accentuate it (say wide open, to through background out of focus or - alternatively - vary f/stop to include more of it, depending on your intention to connect the elements in the foreground with those in the background).

Having said that, this is what I would do with the shot you got:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 12:14:32 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 01:16:15 pm »

To "make it work" you'd have to make up your mind.
You are so right.  I want it all and it just won't work.  Thank you for pointing that out

you might want to give us a name. pcgpcg doesn't quite cut it. I'll look forward to more posts.
How do I do this? I tried using pcg (my initials), but that was taken, hence "pcgpcg".  I can't change my username without deleting my account.
How do I put my real name at the bottom of my post?

And thank you for taking the time to give me feedback.  Much appreciated!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 02:28:54 pm by pcgpcg »

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 01:18:37 pm »

All those issues you mentioned should have been resolved before clicking the shutter.
Yes, that is the root of the problem.

I like your crop.  It is much more pleasing than the original photo.  Thank you!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 01:21:26 pm »

... How do I put my real name at the bottom of my post?...

Go to your profile, then:

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 07:34:38 pm »

Russ, you cropped! ;)
I agree, though, better to have done it IC. Both yours and Sobodan's greatly improve the image. I find myself thinking a lot about this lately: WWRD?

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 07:04:28 pm »

He'd likely slap the crap out of us...but hey, we're trying. I saw that on a bumper sticker...WWJD - He'd Probably Slap the Sh*T Out of You
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows
Pages: [1]   Go Up