Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Iceland in March  (Read 2479 times)

shaner21

Iceland in March
« on: September 25, 2014, 02:32:35 pm »

I will be in the Isle of Skye in March and have an opportunity to go to Iceland for a week.  Does anyone have any experience in Iceland at that time of the year they could share?  Many thanks.

PhotoEcosse

Re: Iceland in March
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 05:23:36 am »

The earliest I have been to Iceland is mid-April and, even then, a lot of the interior tracks are impassible, even with 4WD. But you should be OK on the main roads and can get to a week's worth of photo locations from them.

I'd say - go for it. It is only an hour and a bit from Glasgow airport. (Much quicker to get to Iceland from Glasgow than to get to Skye!)
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

Paulowen

• www.iceland-photography-tours.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 03:44:55 am »

Iceland will still be in the grip of winter during March with driving conditions on main roads "difficult" - you will need a 4x4. The weather conditions at this time of the year make for great pictures and there are fewer tourists around. However, the tourists will probably be replaced by photographers as this is beginning to be a popular time for workshops  ;D
You also increase the likelihood of witnessing the aurora borealis too!
The most accessible parts of the island will be located along the south coast from Reykjanes as far east as Hofn. I will be there from March 15th next year (fingers crossed).
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 04:47:09 am by Paulowen »

MoreOrLess

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 06:40:49 pm »

Did a tour of Iceland for a few days in March the year before the big(well for air traffic) eruption, only stuck to the larger roads but it was a good time for shooting waterfalls. Things had warmed up enough that there was a decent flow in the rivers but it was still cold enough that the spray would freeze at the falls meaning you probably get more ice formations than in mid winter.

Plateau Light

• Robert Park Fine Art Photographer
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 09:26:15 pm »

I was there this March and must say it was one of the most frustrating trips I had ever made. The weather is as unpredictable as imaginable.it may snow, rain, be sunny, windy, or complete blizzard all within A 20 minute period.because of these unpredictable weather patterns I would stick to the south western part of the island. This gets you the ice beach, the blue Lagoon, Gullfoss and Vik.Bring tons of microfiber lens cleaning cloth's and rain gear.

Robert Park
Www.robert-park.com

Paulowen

• www.iceland-photography-tours.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 03:31:44 am »

The frustrating thing about Iceland is the weather  :-\
I've been fortunate to make a few visits and at different times of the year and for me my most frustrating trip was during the short summer - I was there the first 3 weeks of July.  3 weeks of rain, drizzle, fog, more rain, more drizzle and more fog!

shaner21

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 07:47:47 pm »

Thank you all very much for the information.  I will take it into consideration in deciding whether this timing works for me.  Thanks again!

HilmarSigurpalsson

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 07:29:57 am »

Hi,

It's good to have the following websites handy when visiting Iceland.

Icelandic Met Office.
http://en.vedur.is/

The Aurora forecast.
http://en.vedur.is/weather/forecasts/aurora/

The Icelandic Road and Coastal Administration
http://www.vegagerdin.is/english

Greetings.
Hilmar
Pages: [1]   Go Up