Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Applying lens profile correction to TIFF  (Read 2829 times)

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Applying lens profile correction to TIFF
« on: September 25, 2014, 08:30:08 am »

I'd like to use LR5.6 to apply it's lens correction profile for my Samyang 14mm to TIFFs converted by Capture One 8.
If I load the TIFF into the develop module I'm not offered the correct profile to apply. Anyone know why ? or if there's a work round ?

AFairley

Re: Applying lens profile correction to TIFF
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 09:51:48 am »

The first questionis whether LR has a native profile for the Samyang; I am guessing not, for reasons I won't spell out here.  In any event, you should download and install the Adobe Lens Profile Downloader and see if anyone has created and uploaded a profile for the lens.  Note that a profile created on any brand of camera with the same sized sensor should give you correct distortion correction, but perhaps not correct vignetting and CA because of the difference in sensor microlenses/cover glass/AA filer.

If there is none, you can create one for yourself using the Lens Profile Creator, it's actually pretty easy to do.

Rhossydd

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 10:08:45 am »

Yes, I have the correct lens correction profile installed in LR already.
It works well when used directly on raws, but although the same EXIF data is in the TIFF, LR doesn't offer the profile to use on the TIFF ( or many other ones either, just a sub-set of the lens profiles available for that camera body(5Dii))

AFairley

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 03:28:09 pm »

If will hazard the guess that LR will not show the profile because it is identified as a raw profile internally.  (The logic of this is clearer with jpegs, where an OOC jpeg may have had in-camera corrections applied which would result in over correction if a raw profile was applied.). You could try editing your Raw profile (it's an XML file) to make it appear to be generated from TIFF images instead of RAWs. 

Rhossydd

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 03:54:07 pm »

Thank you for that Alan.
There's an XML field, (stCamera: CamerRawProfile), that be changed from TRUE to FALSE. Then it works fine with non raw files.
Also worth noting for anyone else facing this that the name displayed in LR(ACR?) is not the file name, but an internal name within the XML structure (stCamera: LensPrettyName). So if you want to keep it different you need to change both the file name and internal name too.

Now I just need to remember not to crop or rotate images in Capture One before bring them back into LR for lens correction and any further work.

AFairley

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 10:31:08 pm »

Thanks for the info on how to actually do the hack, Paul.  Does the hacked profile work seamlessly?  I may end up wanting to do that to a couple of my legacy lens profiles.

Rhossydd

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 04:31:17 am »

Yes, it works fine as far as I can see.
As I mentioned the only thing to remember is to export the TIFF out of Capture One (or any other program) WITHOUT any crop or rotation applied. Then you can crop and/or rotate in Lightroom.
Pages: [1]   Go Up