Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stitching - An Advanced Approach  (Read 11273 times)

dwswager

Re: Stitching - An Advanced Approach
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2014, 02:01:14 pm »

The desire to stitch (for me) is driven by a desire to get more data with which to do a larger 300dpi print.

CameraMPX PixelsY PixelsWidth "Height "
Canon 5D322576038401912
Nikon D81036736049122416
Pentaz 645Z51825661922720
Phase One IQ26060898467323022
Phase One IQ280801032877603425

If I'm putting something up on the wall, my goal is to have the image be at least 36" wide. The IQ280 is close enough that I'd probably be happy with that but as an amateur, such equipment is not in my hands. That then leaves stitching which works most of the time. When it doesn't work is when there's too much motion - waves in water are the worst, following by quickly moving clouds and trees. Which reminds me of something I'd like to see in LR...

As an admitted pixel peeper, I feel ya.  However, this is a limitation of the print process and our anal retentiveness.  You can make spectacular 36" prints with 22 or 36MPs.  But, yeah, if your looking from 6" away, you can see missing detail.  At that point, photography as science has overtaken and photography as Art doesn't see the light of day. 

Ligament

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2014, 02:36:00 pm »

Bernard, thanks for sharing. I've been leery of stitching images with moving objects, particularly water in this example. Do you have any tips or guidelines when stitching images containing water? My fear of course is the stitching software would make a mess of such objects...

I thought I'd share two recent example combining DoF stacking and stitching. ;)

D810 + Otus 55mm f1.4.

D810 + Leica 180mm f2.8 APO.

Cheers,
Bernard

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2014, 02:45:43 pm »

Bernard, thanks for sharing. I've been leery of stitching images with moving objects, particularly water in this example. Do you have any tips or guidelines when stitching images containing water? My fear of course is the stitching software would make a mess of such objects...

Hi,

It depends a lot on the blending engine that's used to blend the image tiles in the overlap zones. It usually is not a big problem, the blending software usually knows how to select the seams that are already very close to identical in both image tiles. A good Pano stitcher also allows to use alternative blending engines, such as Enblend, or SmartBlend.

Things like wavecrests require a bit of timing when shooting, and in the few cases that the blending engine cannot find a good enough solution, we can use Layered output, and manually blend by warping the overlap zones a bit.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Oldfox

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2014, 02:53:14 am »

Do you have any tips or guidelines when stitching images containing water?
I use PTGUI and layers. Manual blending (using masks) is easy and in most cases you cannot see then blend. Here is one example. (There are other problems with this image but thats another story...)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up