Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing C1 tiffs into Lightroom problem  (Read 2539 times)

Rawcoll

• iCIMAGING
Importing C1 tiffs into Lightroom problem
« on: September 25, 2014, 06:38:10 am »

I've noticed that on my machine if I try to import tiffs produced by C1 v8, and probably v7 as well, into LR, that the LR import operation stagnates and I have to close the program. On the other hand, if I open the C1 tiffs in another photo editing application and re-save them, then I can import the re-saved tiff into LR! Is there something different about the format of the C1 tiff? Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just my system?

Ian

LawrenceBraunstein

• My SmugMug Galeries
Re: Importing C1 tiffs into Lightroom problem
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 07:23:59 am »

Of late, I’ve been importing quite a few 16-bit tiffs from Capture Pro 8 into Lightroom in order to better compare the two processing engines. I’m running Mac OS X 10.9.5 (you didn’t mention which platform you’re using). So far, I’ve had no problems whatsoever. If your imports are working from other applications, it might be that your version of C1 is the source of the problem. Sorry, I know this is of no help. At least you can assume the problem is not intrinsic of the latest C1 version.

Best of luck finding a solution!

Larry

jed best

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 07:49:45 am »

I have been using C1 as well to create Tiffs and have been importing them into LR. However, my method is different. I have c1 or finder ( I am using a MacPro, 10.9.5) place it is the appropriate folder and then have LR synchronize that folder. Voila, the tiff is present and visible. Hope this helps

Jed

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 07:56:30 am »

No problems here importing TIFFs (16bit) from CO 8 into LR5.6
W7 Pro 64

Rawcoll

• iCIMAGING
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 10:17:52 am »

Thanks for the replies. Hmm, there must be something amiss with my set up. Like Rhossydd, I have a Win 7 Pro 64 OS. I think it was working OK a while ago, but I can't remember now whether I had previously had to use the intermediate stage I referred to. C1 has always been a bit choosy about files on my machine, and strangely, the thumbnails of tiff files produced by C1v7 are visually quite a bit smaller than normal when viewed on Breeze Browser, though that seems to be OK now with v8! Go figure.

There has been the odd glitch of late, so I suppose I ought to re-install the OS, but I don't know that I can face re-installing the applications  >:(

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com

Rawcoll

• iCIMAGING
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 11:08:53 am »

Thanks for the link, Doug. At least it seems I am not alone! I too am trying to import the tiffs into LRv4.4, and similarly have no intention to upgrade to LRv5 (LRv4 and LRv5 apparently behave differently in this regard). It was either to upgrade LR or shift to C1, and I chose the latter. At least there is a way around the problem for the very occasional need I have.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 11:36:36 am by Rawcoll »

Rawcoll

• iCIMAGING
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 09:36:33 am »

Just to conclude this thread, you might wish to know the reason for this problem, and one possible solution. This is what was said on the Phase 1 forum that Doug pointed me to. This is not an issue when importing into LRv5.

"It seems that Lightroom 4 has a bit of a bug in regard to Keyword handling.

In Capture One 8 we've introduced the standard for including Keywords in processed files. This includes Hierarchical Keywords which was not available in Capture One 7.
When Capture One 8 process' an image without any keywords, the field where they would reside is still present in the file but is of course blank. When importing into Lightroom 4 this blank field is what stalls the import process. Lightroom 5 does not have this conflict as it correctly skips the field if no Keywords are available. As should occur. No issue with the files, no issue with the thumbnails, just a conflict with proper handling of Keywords or a lack thereof.

So, as an immediate solution to those with this issue, please simply add a Keyword to the processed files in Capture One 8 and Lightroom 4 can then complete the import process as there is data present in the field."

Ian
Pages: [1]   Go Up