Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: current favorite papers?  (Read 23249 times)

strachanh

current favorite papers?
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2005, 05:25:50 pm »

I print primarily black-and-white and for the last couple of months I have been using Epson's driver set at Black Ink Only with their enhanced matte using my Epson 2200. This was suggested by an Epson Rep who attended one of my art shows. I actually like the effect, for certain images; reminds me a bit of Ilford Multigrade Warm-tone from the days I hand-printed all day. Imageprint's Tint-  I found doesn't work so well with epson's enhanced matte.

Brian Gilkes

• http://www.briangilkes.com.au
current favorite papers?
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2005, 05:12:01 pm »

Hi All,
This is my first post on the new board.
I've been very busy driving my new Epson 9800.
One of the allied projects is testing a much wider range of papers than I was using previously.
This currently includes Awagami Inbe (Japan) and papers from Cartiere Magnani (Italy) and Lana (France).
As results come through I will post if the list is interested.
Cheers,
Brian
Brian Gilkes
Pharos Editions

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
current favorite papers?
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2005, 11:28:43 pm »

Hi All,
This is my first post on the new board.
I've been very busy driving my new Epson 9800.
One of the allied projects is testing a much wider range of papers than I was using previously.
This currently includes Awagami Inbe (Japan) and papers from Cartiere Magnani (Italy) and Lana (France).
As results come through I will post if the list is interested.
Cheers,
Brian
Brian Gilkes
Pharos Editions
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=52862\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Brian,

Please do post your results. I suspect many of us are frequently looking for new papers.

-Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

blowery

• http://www.blowery.org/
current favorite papers?
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2005, 08:37:49 pm »

I've ordered a bunch of samples of different papers, so I'll post back here what I find. 
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=51825\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well I got all the papers.   So far, I'm playing with the Moab Entrada Natural 190 and I like the feel of the paper.  How are other folks liking the ICC profile that ships from MOAB for the 2200?  It seems like it's lacking some punch compared to the same print on EHM using the Epson driver and supplied ICC profile.  The Entrada has been able to print out a problematic image with lots of fun greens in it that I could never really do on EHM though.  A nice surprise.

More reports as I play.

Also, have anyone tried Pictorio High Gloss Film on the 2200?  The ICC profile I got from Pictorio seems to indicate it has an insane gamut, but I'm a little worried about gloss differential.  Maybe I'll get some just to see.. Looks like a fun "paper".

how786

current favorite papers?
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2006, 12:03:40 pm »

Where is a good place to purchase the Moab papers from online?
Thanks
Howard

madmanchan

• Web
current favorite papers?
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2006, 05:10:57 pm »

Thanks
Howard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=56997\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I get them from B&H ...

Eric
Eric Chan

Mark Graf

• Nature photography by Mark Graf
current favorite papers?
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2006, 05:19:18 pm »

Another paper for some of you who are sticking with MK inks due the costs of switching them out - take a look at Hahnemuhle's Photo Rag Satin!  I have been printing on this paper with my 4800, and like it a lot.

While this paper is compatible with only MK inks, when printed upon, the image takes on a slight gloss.   A nice alternative for those who like something different than the matte finish typically when using MK inks and papers.

It bridges the gap between matte and RC type papers nicely!
Mark
http:

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
current favorite papers?
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2006, 07:35:57 pm »

I would definitely try the Crane Museo Silver Rag paper when is is formerly released the end of February.  I have been printing on beta samples of this paper and my guess is that it will become my main paper in the future.  After seeing the Dmax (2.46) capabilities of this rag paper it's hard for me to go back to my old standard--epson ultrasmooth.  Surely I will continue to print on matte papers, but I think Silver Rag will begin to dominate my print making in the future. eleanor
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
current favorite papers?
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2006, 09:05:10 am »

Thanks
Howard
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=56997\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

www.inkjetart.com has good prices and "free" shipping for orders over $100. I've bought from them a number of times.
michael sebast

how786

current favorite papers?
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2006, 11:30:05 pm »

Thanks Mike.

BTW, I just tried making some B&W prints on Epson Semi-Gloss and was very impressed with them.

Best
Howard

Kenneth Sky

• http://
current favorite papers?
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2006, 09:34:24 am »

I'm having no luck in aquiring profiles for all these papers for my Epson R800. Since I'm just an amateur, my need for a a larger print is limited and it makes more sense to go to a commercial house for these occasions. I have tried Pictorico HiGloss White Film using the Epson profile and it seems to work well but as a hobbiest I continue to strive to improve. Does anyone have ideas where I can obtain these profiles for all of the high quality papers mentioned in this thread? I suspect there are many members of LL in the same position.

francois

current favorite papers?
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2006, 10:15:56 am »

I'm having no luck in aquiring profiles for all these papers for my Epson R800. Since I'm just an amateur, my need for a a larger print is limited and it makes more sense to go to a commercial house for these occasions. I have tried Pictorico HiGloss White Film using the Epson profile and it seems to work well but as a hobbiest I continue to strive to improve. Does anyone have ideas where I can obtain these profiles for all of the high quality papers mentioned in this thread? I suspect there are many members of LL in the same position.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=57102\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I guess you'll have to purchase custom printer profiles. Prices are around or starting at $50.
Francois

Kenneth Sky

• http://
current favorite papers?
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2006, 03:50:59 pm »

francois:
Thanks for your subliminal tip. By "googling" custom profiles for R800, I found that Crane offers free ICC profile for Museo Silver Rag. Now if I can get one for Pictorico I'll be set as I'll stick with Epson papers for the rest of my needs.

francois

current favorite papers?
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2006, 06:18:32 am »

francois:
Thanks for your subliminal tip. By "googling" custom profiles for R800, I found that Crane offers free ICC profile for Museo Silver Rag. Now if I can get one for Pictorico I'll be set as I'll stick with Epson papers for the rest of my needs.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=57118\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Sorry,
I have no subliminal tip for the Pictorico profiles  
Francois

david o

• http://www.davidolivier.net
current favorite papers?
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2006, 10:22:18 am »

any kind of update for this thread?

jdyke

• http://www.jondyke.com
current favorite papers?
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2006, 08:47:36 am »

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would add my experiences:-

I print on an Epson 2100 (2200 in the US) using Imageprint.

Epson Enhanced Matte My first paper on this printer - very good cheap paper but a little light weight at times. Also not very archival so I tend to keep it for proofs and family snapshots.

PhotoRag 308 Superb paper for both colour and B&W. I have ended up coming back to this paper after all my testing because its so reliable. It also has excellent archival properties. Price is coming down too.

Ilford Smooth Pearl  A paper I have used often for club competition prints.  Judges tend to frown on Matte papers for some reason! Its a good paper for colour but beware if you intend to use it for B&W as you will get the invitable bronzing and gloss diferential.

Hahn Fine Art Pearl Recently tried this paper - its strange - I like it and I don't like it!!  The increase in the DMAX is not that better than the Ilford and not a huge amount above the Matte paperst to be honest.  Also the bronzing and gloss differential are not that great. Finaly no one seems to know how long prints will last on this paper at the moment.  Strangely though it still has some apeal to me...

Da Vinci Fibre Gloss (also branded as Innova, Permajet and Fotospeed)
This came as a suprise to me.  The contrast and DMAX improvements are very noticable. B&W on this paper is very very good.  The only downsides - it does have quite a reflective surface. This is not too bad if you intend to mount behind glass but for portfolios it can detract a bit from the picture.  Also as above no data on longevity yet.

So which paper is my favourite?  Tough one to be honest.  At the moment I find myself going back to the matte papers as the reflectiveness of the others does bother me. But I love the increased DMAX of the FBG paper.  Epson K3 inks are much better on the non-matte papers but the examples I have seen are not dramtically different (less bronzing and deiferential but its still there a bit)
Choice...Choices......

JD

dbell

current favorite papers?
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2006, 04:13:00 pm »

Since I last posted on this thread, I have tried out a lot of papers. At the moment (and aside from using up random things I've purchased) I am printing on just two: Epson Velvet Fine Art and Crane Museo Silver Rag.

--
Daniel Bell

davidh4976

current favorite papers?
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2006, 01:06:38 pm »

I just ran through test prints for several different papers using an Epson R2400 with standard Epson ink and the standard profiles from the paper manufacturer.  (I recently upgraded from a 1280.)

The standouts for both color and B&W were:
1. Moab Kokopelli Semigloss
2. Epson Semigloss
3. Moab Kokopelli Gloss

The gloss papers really bring out deeper blacks than the matte.  But, the better matte papers were:
1. Moab Entrada Fine Art Bright White
2. Moab Entrada Fine Art Natural (warmer than the Bright White)
3. Moab Kayenta

Depending on the viewing light for color prints...  I preferred the matte papers for color when viewed under a balanced viewing light.  When viewed under indirect natural light, I preferred the glossy.  It's a toss up under tungsten. (for B&W, there wasn't a significant difference.)

I tested all of the usual Epson papers, an Ilford sampler pack, and a Moab sampler pack.  After going through this, I encourage everyone to do their own testing like this.  Preferences vary!  

David

jjlphoto

current favorite papers?
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2006, 01:21:59 pm »

On my 1280 with dye inks, I was using Epson Premium Lustre, Premium Glossy Photo Paper, and Matte Paper Heavyweight. I also used Hahnemuhle Photo Rag 308, Torchon and Albrect Drurer. I really began to become annoyed at the scuffing issues with the Hahnemuhles.

I now have a 3800, and it seems I need to switch my basic matte Epson stock to Epson Enhanced Matte as there is no Matte Paper Heavyweight selection in the driver. I guess I could make a profile, any comments on either of those basic Epson mattes with K3 inks?

I also just bought some 8-1/2 x 11 packs of Crane Museo Silver Rag and Innove FibaPrint F-Type Gloss in Briliant White. I am anxious to make some profiles and run some test prints as time allows. I will report back as soon as I get some test prints made.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 01:22:43 pm by jjlphoto »
Thanks, John Luke

Member-ASMP

howie

current favorite papers?
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2006, 06:28:18 pm »

According to Epson, the Heavyweight Matte is not compatible with pigment inks.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up