Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3880 - fix (for the third time) or replace  (Read 1918 times)

Dan Wells

3880 - fix (for the third time) or replace
« on: September 24, 2014, 10:20:25 pm »

I have a 3 year old 3880 that has just dropped a color channel for the third time. This is a complete channel drop (it's always one of the blacks - this time it's the PK/MK line, and neither a power clean nor swapping blacks helps). The previous times it's been in for service, the shop has repaired the pump in the most recent incident and some other piece (I forget what the first service entailed, but it was NOT the head) the previous time. The machine went almost a year before the first service, was repaired under warranty, went about six months, needed the second service (which the shop covered under the warranty from the first service, because I successfully argued it was the same issue), then went about a year before dropping a channel again.  Apart from the whole-channel drops, I have had no clogging issues (I've never had a clog that I was actually able to clear - the machine would run clog-free for quite a while then drop a channel and need to go in for a repair)

My use is not extreme, but it IS spotty - I'll tend to go a month without printing, then run off a whole bunch of prints in a weekend. I have made about 200-300 art prints, ranging from 8x10 to 16x24 on the machine (probably averaging 12x18). I have also run off about 1400 Moab Entrada cards. I wonder if the large number of cards has anything to do with the repeated failures? I can't imagine that the art prints are anything like an excessive number, but the cards (which I run in large batches when I run out - I'll print 250 in a couple of days, then not do cards again for months) may be something it's not designed for?

As the printer is nearly 3 years old, I can't imagine I'm going to get warranty service this time, which leaves me 3 basic choices:

1.) Fix it out of my own pocket (not sure what it'll cost, but I wouldn't be surprised if they replace the head), and hope it won't happen again.

2.)Replace it with another 3880 - I'm not very excited about this option, both because I feel like I've had a significant number of repairs, and because the 2007 inkset isn't all that enticing (both Epson's newer 10-color set and the 12-color Canons have significantly wider gamuts).

3.) Replace it with something else - WHY didn't we see any printers at Photokina, apart from 1 13" Epson with 35 ml tanks (I'm not interested in a 13" printer - I'd go 24" except for the fact that none of them will feed cards other than manually)? The only choice I see is a 4900 - no 24" printer will handle my card printing (I'm not going to feed 250 cards one at a time)! I might prefer a Canon printer, but their 17" model (5100) is two generations old, and probably lower gamut than a 3880, plus it costs as much as a 4900! I'd like the roll feed option on the 4900 (and I wonder if the feeder might handle the cards better), but I worry that it might be even more clog prone than the 3880.

-Dan

JayWPage

• Jay W Page Photography
Re: 3880 - fix (for the third time) or replace
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 01:25:52 am »

The Epson 3880 printers sometimes come on sale (often at the end of the year) and are surprisingly cheap when the Epson rebate and a new set of ink cartridges are taken into consideration. Especially since you can probably install the partially used cartridges from your old 3880 to begin with.

I would take that into consideration before repairing an off warranty printer that is 3 years old.
Jay W Page

Paris1968

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 11:52:43 pm »

The 3880 is 1K at the Epson Store now.  Do you think it will get cheaper than that, or is that the sale price you meant? 

JayWPage

• Jay W Page Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 07:38:56 pm »

I bought mine last December in Canada for $1199.00 CND and there was a $300 mail in rebate from Epson so the net was $899.00 CND. Pretty much everything is more expensive here in Canada than in the USA, if that is where you are, so I would think you should be able to do better than that.
Jay W Page

F2bthere

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 11:11:19 pm »

Canon is easier to replace the print head, but it isn't cheap.

I'm guessing it's the time in between printing that is the problem, not the volume of printing. Sitting idle tends to be a bigger problem. Maybe you could do a few cards a week between things and knock out fewer during the season (this presumes you already know what you are printing)....

Jay Page makes a great point. If you go with the 3880, you can salvage your old ink and get a full set of cartridges not to mention a new printer with a new warrantee. Might be worth buying Epson's two year extension of coverage (you can do it during the year).

Epson has a $200 off sale ending tomorrow :(.

Brings the 3880 to $928 at B & H in the USA.

Some Guy

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 11:18:57 am »

The part that could most likely be bad is the dampner and feed assembly that comes as a unit in the 3880.  It also has the control valve for the switchover MK and PK blacks, all the ink feed lines, and the assembly that holds the ink tanks.  About $150.  The pump you replaced prior should have affected the other colors as well and not just the blacks as it is common to all ink carts.  They probably sold you one and did some ink cleaner and power flush from their service software.

Here's the part: http://www.sign-in-china.com/products/13033/epson_stylus_pro_3890_3880_3885_3800_damper.html

I've ripped mine apart last week for some plastic tabs that broke off the print head's carriage causing it to drag over the print, wipe ink off the roller area, and actually cut into the paper on the right side.  Probably a bad head strike on some edge curl paper.  It is reassembled and it is workign fine, even quieter than the other that I used for K7 inks.  I just took a lot of disassembly notes along the way and photos.  Took me about 3 days, and maybe only day going back together once I figure it out.  I could now probably change the above in one day.  First time is the ordeal, but I had nothing to lose and maybe learn something of these beasts along the way too.

If the print head is shot, then you are looking at $950 or so and it is cheaper to go with the above and pitch the printer for a new one with rebates.  Epson clams the print head is good for 12,000 prints and mine was only at 1,200 (It's in the printer's LCD screen someplace.).

Good luck.

SG
Pages: [1]   Go Up