Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts on Simply Elegant Everyday Matte Canvas?  (Read 5205 times)

Landscapes

Thoughts on Simply Elegant Everyday Matte Canvas?
« on: September 24, 2014, 05:11:15 pm »

Hello all.. just wondering if anyone has any feedback.  I will tell you what I like most about it... the fact that its 100% polyester.

I looked into the Metallic line of canvasses, but realized they still need to be sprayed, so no need to pay extra.  I currently use Epson's Matte Canvas which I like, but because its a natural product from cotton, seeds tend to be an issue.  I saw with the metallic canvases that I tried that they had less imperfections, and this makes sense since they seemed to be a blend of 50/50 poly/cotton.

The price is also cheaper, so that's nice, but I'm not looking at it for this reason, I just want it to be less prone to defects.  I know one member on here stopped using canvas all together since he used to mount it and switched to a very textured paper that he sprays in the same fashion simply because of these imperfections.  But for stretching, I still need canvas and would love to have the consistency of a roll of paper.

So any thoughts on the Simply Elegant Matte Canvas?  Does it looks cheap or feel too thin?

https://www.itsupplies.com/Simply-Elegant-Everyday-Matte-Canvas-24-x-75-Roll-SECQ2475
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 05:29:09 pm by Landscapes »

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
Re: Thoughts on Simply Elegant Everyday Matte Canvas?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 12:40:56 pm »

my thoughts:

it does not look cheap because that's largely related to what and how you print on it.

it DOES feel too thin and give me the impression of lack of quality (based entirely on my emotions and not at all on evidence)

I printed a 44" roll for a project where the images needed to display for 1-1.5 years and then were essentially disposable. it was easy enough. I still coated with Timeless. For the "disposable" work I appreciated the savings.

for my client work that I sell and promise to be top quality I elected to stay with Lyve.

just my thoughts based on subjective impressions and nothing else.

Landscapes

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 08:43:24 am »

I see.. thanks for the feedback.  Am I correct in assuming that there were no seed issues since its 100% poly... and were there any other surface defects?  Was the surface almost too perfect?

mstevensphoto

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 11:34:14 am »

no seed issues, I like the surface. I prefer a less toothy canvas surface anyway. I didn't find it to be that much smoother than lyve

Landscapes

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 12:21:55 pm »

Thanks so much... it seems like I will have to try and get a sample.  Even their more expensive one, the non Everyday, is made with a mix of cotton and poly and is much heavier... so perhaps this could also work if the thinner version does end up feeling too cheap.  Seeds are just such a huge issue for light clear skies.

mstevensphoto

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 12:19:23 pm »

I've not printed all or even many of the canvases out there but here are my thoughts as they relate to seeds:

Simply elegant - seedless, I've printed a 44" roll and two 24", not a huge sample, but not a seed to be found

Lyve - I print 1-3 rolls of this monthly. I've had only a few seeds ever and while it pisses me off, it's rare enough to be acceptable and I got credit against them so it worked ok.

Moab - haven't printed much but no seeds to be found on 17" or 24" roll

Silverada - I will be hard pressed to ever consider this canvas. I don't know what drunk monkey they have doing QC but it's loaded with seeds and I've even had bubbles in the coating (the inkjet receptive layer, not the varnish) that make ugly little splotches that look like someone flicked a booger on it.

Landscapes

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 03:59:32 pm »

Silverada - I will be hard pressed to ever consider this canvas. I don't know what drunk monkey they have doing QC but it's loaded with seeds and I've even had bubbles in the coating (the inkjet receptive layer, not the varnish) that make ugly little splotches that look like someone flicked a booger on it.

Great list... to this I would add:

Epson Exhibition Matte Canvas - Some rolls have quite a few actually, some rolls are perfect.  I do like the canvas, but the seeds, and also imperfections with the gesso coating (although this is the term for painters I think) do bother me.

Funny what you say about the Silverada.  I have a roll of the Hanhemule Metallic Canvas, and to my horror, I found the same thing.  Its like a crater in the canvas!  Also, I used their recommended settings, which for a Canon is Special 5, and there is so much ink pooling.  I didn't know to look for this before I ran an entire 50 inches of canvas through.  Its still not waterproof, and once coated, looks like any old canvas.  Hence, at twice the price, waste of money!

I think I will for sure try the Simply Elegant, both the everyday and the regular one that has a better weight, although this one is a mix of cotton and poly.

POA

HELP with: Simply Elegant satin Canvas?
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 09:33:59 pm »

Does anyone have trouble printing with simply elegant satin canvas? I have tried different settings profile etc.. It still comes out faded. Fustration has set in (grrr) I though it was my printer but when I tried back to lyve and epson it prints great. I wanted to try something new since it is recommended by artist. Does anyone have any suggestion or troubleshoot help please.... I use epson 4800 printer and coreldraw painter and photoshop elements.
Thanks in advance

DougDolde

• Images of the American West
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 11:56:44 am »

I use it all the time. The fact that it's thin makes wrapping and folding the corners easy. It may be thin but it's very strong. Available in 100' rolls too. Best canvas value I've been able to find.

I.T. Supplies

Re: HELP with: Simply Elegant satin Canvas?
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2018, 12:32:50 pm »

Does anyone have trouble printing with simply elegant satin canvas? I have tried different settings profile etc.. It still comes out faded. Fustration has set in (grrr) I though it was my printer but when I tried back to lyve and epson it prints great. I wanted to try something new since it is recommended by artist. Does anyone have any suggestion or troubleshoot help please.... I use epson 4800 printer and coreldraw painter and photoshop elements.
Thanks in advance

We don't carry a Simply Elegant Satin Canvas for aqueous printers.  We only have this available for Solvent models which may be the reason why the prints come out faded is because it isn't sticking properly to the canvas properly.
Our canvas options for aqueous printers are either Simply Elegant Matte Canvas (poly/cotton blend; new version coming in later this month) or the new Simply Elegant Everyday Canvas Matte (100% polyester).

DougDolde-  we appreciate the compliment with our new Everyday canvas!  It took some time to find a good replacement and the new manufacturer is working diligently to get the product made so it's readily available now.  If there are any questions regarding the new canvas, please let us know so we can better assist you!

msongs

• Hawaii Loves Art
I use their canvas. it's good news...and not so good news
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2018, 10:05:50 pm »

canvas is great, colors are good, easy to stretch. doesn't smear at all when I apply timeless clear coat with a roller (first canvas Ive found that does not smear). Price is right.

shipping cost is a major drag due to the shipper they use. when the ship price is almost the same as the canvas price...well. had a roll took 9 days to arrive. took it down to the post office and they would ship that roll for $20 instead of $60 with 3-4 day delivery. this company will not use the post office so the cost of shipping is highest of any outfit I buy from.
Msongs
hawaiilovesart.com
batik, digital design, panorama photography

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 05:18:08 am »

Comment regards to shipping.
I am switching most of my product purchases to LexJet for the free shipping.
It is a huge savings for me, typically $50 a purchase. Now that they sell Chromaluxe metals for my dye sub printing I can purchase that from them as well. My last two orders of metals from Conde the shipping was $75 @
I presently use LexJet’s reserve bright matte for most of our canvas printing. I am open to other options and would prefer something with a little more texture. After 2 spray coats of Glamor II the texture on the LexJet reserve is very minimal.

What is the square foot price of the simply elegant canvas?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 08:00:17 am by Dan Berg »

msongs

• Hawaii Loves Art
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2018, 03:14:14 pm »

our last 100 foot roll was 63 cents a square foot. adding in the CHEAPEST shipping option the price goes up to 93 cents. using expedited shipping the price goes up to $1.05 per square foot
Msongs
hawaiilovesart.com
batik, digital design, panorama photography

I.T. Supplies

Re: I use their canvas. it's good news...and not so good news
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 12:11:53 pm »

canvas is great, colors are good, easy to stretch. doesn't smear at all when I apply timeless clear coat with a roller (first canvas Ive found that does not smear). Price is right.

shipping cost is a major drag due to the shipper they use. when the ship price is almost the same as the canvas price...well. had a roll took 9 days to arrive. took it down to the post office and they would ship that roll for $20 instead of $60 with 3-4 day delivery. this company will not use the post office so the cost of shipping is highest of any outfit I buy from.

Are you referring to IT Supplies/Atlex for the shipping of the canvas or another supplier?  Our new canvas (at the moment) is coming from the manufacturer in California and they are working on inventory as their supplier; making it, moved locations (which delayed production).
Atlex charges shipping based on the weight of the order and mainly ships via UPS while IT offers free shipping over a certain amount via UPS.  Soon, Atlex will be integrated into IT Supplies and the free shipping option will be for all of our customers.  The manufacturer's don't typically use USPS because of the convenience of shipping from their location vs UPS.  If the product is available at our office/warehouse, we can provide you with a USPS quote, but if you're over the minimum, you don't pay for UPS shipping.  It also depends on where the product is coming from for the delivery ETA to the customer location.

Hope this helps clarify things.
Pages: [1]   Go Up