Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cost/quality suggestions on UV and CPL lenses (for 2014)  (Read 687 times)

jttraverse

Cost/quality suggestions on UV and CPL lenses (for 2014)
« on: September 24, 2014, 03:10:45 pm »

I've been checking into the available UV and Circular Polarizing lenses, and while that's daunting enough, most of the reviews/tests I've seen are several years old. It occurs to me that by 2014, some manufacturers may have upped their game and there may even be 3rd party or OEM versions that are great and not-so-expensive. I've been told, and it definitely seems to be correct from what I've read, that B+W is practically the top of the line--and their prices are worth it I'm sure. I'd also heard that years ago Tiffen wasn't so great, but they usually rate fairly well now in some forums I've read, so I'm a bit stumped which way to lean.

I'm using my first Canon DSLR now (just a t3i), and I can certainly appreciate the idea of not putting any glass in front of the lens that diminishes the overall quality. But I have a limited budget to make the most of so, all things considered, I'm curious what an expert opinion is today insofar as ranking UV and CPL lenses in a cost/quality comparison. I'll likely be primarily shooting landscapes, but also want to try time lapse and night sky photography if those matter.

Some names I recognize...B+W, Hoya, Zeikos, Tiffen, (Canon of course), Neewer..which makes a lot of 2nd hand decent parts, and then many nameless wonders. But the prices are all over the map from a few dollars up up to $100 (one B+W varies from $22 up to $66 for the same lens!).

So quality-wise, anyone have suggestions on a great budget UV and CPL lens?
Thanks,
JT

synn

• My fine art portfolio
Re: Cost/quality suggestions on UV and CPL lenses (for 2014)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 05:02:23 am »

I have been using Formatt Hitech filters on a Lee filter mount for a while and am very happy with the results. But keep in mind that this is a square filter system.

For screw in filters, if you're on a budget, Hoya Pro and Daisee are good options.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

Torbjörn Tapani

Re:
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 05:16:48 am »

I like B+W for their brass filters. Less risk of binding.

For night sky shooting you really want to avoid filters. All kinds of artefacts might be the result during long exposures. And a CPL will steal some light.
Pages: [1]   Go Up