Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Got confused which one should go first? Lamination or Mounting on foamboard  (Read 1026 times)

aaronchan

Hi,

I have just bought a manual cold laminator and bought some cheapo laminate to practice on it.
This is what I have done which I didn't get a good result:
I first mount the paper with back adhesive onto the foam board,
then I mount the laminate over the whole piece.

I followed some online video, first I place the laminate film on top of the board,
roll over about 6 inches and remove part of the back paper, roll back the board,
pull the back paper on the other side and start to turn the roller and roll through the whole piece.

But I got a pressure line where the fold of the back paper is.

This is super hard to explain but I hope someone would understand what I'm asking. I'm sorry.

Regard,
Aaron

Gary Damaskos

Re: Got confused which one should go first? Lamination or Mounting on foamboard
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 09:53:10 am »

I use a cold laminator to mount an over-laminate to picture first and use a backing board. Then I mount that to the mount substrate. Hope this is of some use to you. Good luck.
Gary

framah

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 10:08:05 am »

I use a heat press so I have never done what you are tying to do but I have seen other youtube vids about this and the thing is that for best results, the process needs to be in as continuous a process as possible. Any stopping on the piece and restarting will result in an impression line from the roller.

The best thing to do is to have the board you are mounting onto be larger than the print and all starting is done BEFORE you get  to the actual print. Then the process is one continuous movement thru the rollers.. peeling and rolling at the same time..no stopping midway thru.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 01:35:09 pm »

I use a cold laminator to mount an over-laminate to picture first and use a backing board. Then I mount that to the mount substrate. Hope this is of some use to you. Good luck.
Gary
We do the same thing, which is the same process we use to apply face mount adhesive to the front of the print.

We create a sled or carrier board out of ¼” plexi which has single sided release paper to mounted to it, so the laminate won’t stick to it.  Then we laminate the print using this.  After it is laminate we then mount the print.  This video about face mounting shows how we use the carrier board for both face mounting and applying regulars laminate.

This method has less chance of pressure marks (even if you stop you probably won’t see a mark in the laminate) and easier to control air bubbles and dust.
Pages: [1]   Go Up