Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Sigma for B/W?  (Read 4238 times)

Herbc

Best Sigma for B/W?
« on: September 24, 2014, 10:15:39 am »

I am not aware of any careful studies on whether the Sigma DP Merrill or the Sigma DP Quattro cameras are a better choice when the final goal is b/w for exhibition.

I have seen a few posts where the Sigma camera's were said to be superior to a cmos sensor for b/w, have no clue as to why.

any wisdom on this?

Herbc

Re: Best Sigma for B/W?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 01:41:28 pm »

Thanks Raul- I was interested in the claims that the Foveon sensor gave a particular image in b/w not possible with cmos sensors.  That said, it would seem the only way to settle the question would be for me to rent one and see for myself.  The quattro is supposed to have the better sensor, but my question was does the quattro have an advantage in b/w?

I have had good luck in b/w using my 36 mp cameras and NIK software, so it may be I am nitpicking.

Manoli

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 02:05:35 pm »

I am not aware of any careful studies on whether the Sigma DP Merrill or the Sigma DP Quattro cameras are a better choice when the final goal is b/w for exhibition.

Sean Reid ar (www.reidreviews.com) has an extensive article on the DPm as a B&W cam , using the blue channel. Recommended. Bottom line IHO, was that the Leica M Monochrom barely shaved it ... 

Manoli

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 02:06:41 pm »

Sean Reid at (www.reidreviews.com) has an extensive article on the DPm as a B&W cam , using the blue channel. Recommended. Bottom line IHO, was that the Leica M Monochrom shaved it, only just ... 

MoreOrLess

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 02:19:52 pm »

Sean Reid at (www.reidreviews.com) has an extensive article on the DPm as a B&W cam , using the blue channel. Recommended. Bottom line IHO, was that the Leica M Monochrom shaved it, only just ... 

I'v not done any kind of technical testing but whats impressed me most about my DP1M is the impressive skys it gives for B&W conversions, very smooth tonality and can take a hell of a lot of contrast manipulation before noise becomes an issue.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 03:18:34 pm »

yes they work really well as b&w cams, I have a dp3m and a dp2q. As noted Sean Reid has some excellent articles on the b&w uses for these cameras. Another alternative is to rent the cameras, if you are in the US, lenrentals.com has both DPxM and DP2Q cameras. They really do have a different look and feel than a standard bayer camera.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 06:33:19 pm »

If your goal is to make prints up to 20x30 then any of the Sigma DP Merrill series will do a good job, since the price is dropping and you can get them around $500 to $600 brand new from Japan.

even BH or Adorama sell new and w/ warranty in USA @ $650, for example http://www.adorama.com/SGDP3M.html

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Re: Re: Re: Best Sigma for B/W?
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 06:05:21 pm »

Yes, the Merrills are exceptional as BW cams.
Unbeatable for the price.
The Sigma software works, the trick seems to be to put just a few files in a folder. It is magical because it somehow chooses good settings.
In cameras one usually gets what one pays for; with the Merrills, as far as total image quality goes one gets more, as far as focus accuracy goes - more, as far as ergonomics goes one gets substantially less.

Edmund
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 06:07:24 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Malina DZ

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 10:42:19 pm »

No scientific studies done on my part, but here you are a RAW file from Sony a850 and a TIFF from Sigma DP2M to do your own B&W conversion.
Sony a850+50/1.4: http://goo.gl/frMqUx
Sigma DP2M: http://goo.gl/qrU6Xr
Pages: [1]   Go Up