Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A question for travelers  (Read 12013 times)

Madness

• http://www2.arnes.si/~jburke
A question for travelers
« on: November 20, 2005, 07:07:44 am »

Just curious... do you remember to reset the time/date in your camera when you travel to another time zone?
*FOR RENT- one coat closet-must share wi

francois

A question for travelers
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 12:10:34 pm »

Just curious... do you remember to reset the time/date in your camera when you travel to another time zone?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=51753\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes, I do! And I do it also for daylight saving time.  
Francois

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
A question for travelers
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 12:11:11 pm »

I don't bother.   When I'm looking at the meta data later at home (on the rare occasions it matters), I just remember more or less what the time difference was and do the arithmatic.

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

Ben Rubinstein

A question for travelers
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 02:08:07 pm »

I use the time for sequence and a rough idea, don't usually bother with that level of accuracy.

jani

• Øyet
A question for travelers
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 03:27:04 pm »

When I bought the camera, I set it to my local time zone.

Then I went on this big vacation, where I travelled to these different places, in order:

From Oslo (DST) ...
Singapore
Melbourne
Singapore
Nepal
Tibet
Singapore
London
... and back to Oslo (not DST when I returned)

So I found that the easiest was to just set the clock to UTC (same as the good old GMT), which gives me no worries, not even about daylight savings time etc.
Jan

mikeseb

• http://www.michaelsebastian.com
A question for travelers
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 10:46:47 pm »

UTC. Daylight Saving Time--and all those troublesome time zones--never made any sense to me. I think the whole world should just use GMT so we all know what time it is, all at once!

Would mean eating dinner at 2200 here in Kentucky, which is more appropriate for Spain! Would also mean breakfast at 1100, which is my kinda way to start the day. A kentuckian's lunchtime would be our British compatriots' tea time. All clear?

Cheers.
michael sebast

francois

A question for travelers
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 03:02:00 am »

...Would mean eating dinner at 2200 here in Kentucky, which is more appropriate for Spain! Would also mean breakfast at 1100, which is my kinda way to start the day. A kentuckian's lunchtime would be our British compatriots' tea time. All clear?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Some countries do not use full hour time zones (+1, +2, +3, etc.) making things very difficult. Your suggestion would certainly simplify time-related activities but would wipe out some excuses for missed or late rendez-vous  

A few years ago, Swatch company tried to market what they called the [a href=\"http://www.timeanddate.com/time/internettime.html]Internet Time[/url]. People hardly remember it today... even Swatch employees.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 03:02:46 am by francois »
Francois

jani

• Øyet
A question for travelers
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 12:23:02 pm »

Some countries do not use full hour time zones (+1, +2, +3, etc.) making things very difficult.
Tell me about it. I went to the weirdest of them all, Nepal. UTC +0545. Hello? Are you on crack or something? I thought so.

I could almost have found it sensible if Nepal was a little island like Singapore. But Nepal is a pretty long strip of land, stretching from east to west.

Your suggestion would certainly simplify time-related activities but would wipe out some excuses for missed or late rendez-vous
Unless we're just in the conversion period, hehe.

A few years ago, Swatch company tried to market what they called the Internet Time. People hardly remember it today... even Swatch employees.
Funnily enough, that's exactly what I and a few (okay, okay, a lot of) other sarcastic bastards predicted would happen.
Jan

crspe

A question for travelers
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 02:25:16 pm »

When shooting with multiple cameras, I always keep all the cameras set accurately to the right time ... it means that afterwards I can sort all of the photos by time and get the photos from the different cameras correctly interleaved in time.

Certainly makes the sorting and selection of best images easier.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2005, 02:25:34 pm by crspe »

BJL

A question for travelers
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 08:24:29 pm »

UCT/GMT for me too. Maybe my next DSLR will have GPS, and record local time automatically.

Some countries do not use full hour time zones (+1, +2, +3, etc.) making things very difficult.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=51845\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Indeed: I grew up with UCT+930/1030 (South Australia).

francois

A question for travelers
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 03:23:36 am »

Tell me about it. I went to the weirdest of them all, Nepal. UTC +0545. Hello? Are you on crack or something? I thought so.
Newfoundland for instance and some others as well.    
A few years ago, Swatch company tried to market what they called the Internet Time. People hardly remember it today... even Swatch employees.
Funnily enough, that's exactly what I and a few (okay, okay, a lot of) other sarcastic bastards predicted would happen.
Sure, I told a few friends working at Swatch that it was going the way of the dodo, but marketing is powerful in these companies. FWIW, I'm all in favour of GMT...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 03:26:17 am by francois »
Francois

jani

• Øyet
A question for travelers
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 04:52:49 am »

Newfoundland for instance and some others as well.   
The others don't have quarter-hour offsets ...

Sure, I told a few friends working at Swatch that it was going the way of the dodo, but marketing is powerful in these companies. FWIW, I'm all in favour of GMT...
I like the term UTC better (or just UT, for Universal Time).

Although I expect inhabitants of other star systems may have objections to that.
Jan

francois

A question for travelers
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2005, 05:32:08 am »

I like the term UTC better (or just UT, for Universal Time).
I'm old fashioned, sorry.

Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up