Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: May the battle begin: Actus vs. F-universalis  (Read 26666 times)

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
May the battle begin: Actus vs. F-universalis
« on: September 22, 2014, 03:59:19 pm »

Just back from the dullest Photokina I ever went to.

I had the chance to handle both the Cambo Actus and the Arca F-unversalis. I can't make up my mind which one I do prefer.

- The Actus is a bit cheaper around 1700€ vs. 2300 for the Arca

- The camera is connected to the rear standard of the Actus by its lens mount, which makes rotating the camera easier, with the Arca one has to use Arca swiss's L-bracket, which i find a it cumbersome

- The Cambo uses a standard Arca style rail base, while the Arca uses their newer slimmer rail

- the Arca seems to be much nicer made, better scales, tighter movements, which probably break in quite nicely, better gears.

- the Arca can grow to a larger sensor format like medium format or larger, the actus is 35mm or smaller only

- Cambo has a website

difficult decision....
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
Re: May the battle begin: Actus vs. F-universalis
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 04:10:45 pm »

1. You didn't come by do say hello  :P
2. Both cameras can take a digital back (Cambo had a prototype on their stand with one of our Credo 50's), making them a natural replacement for the old studio 5x4 rigs, especially when mated to one of the new CMOS backs...

Cheers

Yair
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

lelouarn

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 04:37:23 pm »

Get the Arca. You know you want to ;-)

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 04:40:49 pm »

Just back from the dullest Photokina I ever went to.

I had the chance to handle both the Cambo Actus and the Arca F-unversalis. I can't make up my mind which one I do prefer.

- The Actus is a bit cheaper around 1700€ vs. 2300 for the Arca

- The camera is connected to the rear standard of the Actus by its lens mount, which makes rotating the camera easier, with the Arca one has to use Arca swiss's L-bracket, which i find a it cumbersome

- The Cambo uses a standard Arca style rail base, while the Arca uses their newer slimmer rail

- the Arca seems to be much nicer made, better scales, tighter movements, which probably break in quite nicely, better gears.

- the Arca can grow to a larger sensor format like medium format or larger, the actus is 35mm or smaller only

- Cambo has a website

Arca has many websites:
- https://digitaltransitions.com/page/arca-swiss
https://digitaltransitions.com/blog/news/arca-swiss-shutter-dex-fc-cs
Just none from Arca :).

Cambo's on-display model for use with a DB was a prototype. So I wouldn't make a final decision about build quality from it. Both Arca and Cambo make good products.

Arca can take R mounted lenses (to share with an RM3Di, RL3Di, Factum, as well as the new Arca FP, CS, DEX, new Cloud and rail-sled. Cambo let me know that if it's physically possible (based on the size) to mount a lens which is in an Arca CS mount that they will support this configuration. This is great news for those who want electronic shutters as you could use them on either of these great bodies. Cambo is also using the same digital back adapter plate as with their Cambo tech cams, like the RS1250 and RS5000 so good news there as well.

Neither are shipping today. So you have some time to decide either way.

Photo East will be a good chance for US customers to see them. Shoot me an email (dep@digitaltransitions.com) to arrange a private demo during the show, or stop by our booth during the show.

Let the battles begin indeed!

torger

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 04:50:11 am »

Isn't this Arca-Swiss: http://www.arca-swiss-magasin.com/ or is it "just" an Arca-Swiss dealer?

For buying stuff in Europe, this is a popular destination http://www.arca-shop.de/ but that is a dealer not Arca-Swiss themselves.

If you're going to use it with an A7r in the studio you could also look at Rollei X-Act 2, if just DHW sorts out their money issue... I think a studio view camera should have full back movements. In the field for landscape and architecture it's okay to limit movements, but as soon one is starting to shoot closeups one will notice that lacking back movements and having limited tilt/swing range is limiting. The whole idea of using a technical camera instead of just tilt-shift lenses on a standard DSLR I think is that composition is more flexible, and then one need to make sure that the tech cam you choose have the movements that indeed enhances the experience.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 04:57:08 am by torger »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 07:40:36 am »

It looks like a dealer, all in French, but the title is Galarie-Photo magasin.  However the contact e-mail does have the Arca-Swiss in the info.  Also the fact they have a on-line cart makes me think that they are a dealer.  But it's a start. 

Rod Klukas, the US dealer also has a site with some info, it's not updated with the latest announcements, which I am sure will be done soon.

http://rodklukas.com/arca-swiss/

Back to the OP,

The L bracket mounting that Arca uses could be improved a bit, at least with some markings to help the user align and re-align the Sony A7R.  Right now Arca supports Sony, Nikon and Canon DSLRs with the DSLR2 (M2) but the DSLR"s due to the mirror box can only use 90mm or longer lenses. 

Mounting the Sony A7r, and getting it centered on the lens IMO takes the vast majority of the time.  With some indices on the mount and L bracket, this process would be much faster. 

Once the camera is mounted, the action gets very fast.

Paul 
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Frederic_H

• www.fredericharster.com
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 07:57:05 am »

arca-swiss-magasin.com is the main french dealer, and the closest to A/S. You pass your order here and A/S fulfills it directly.

Though arca-shop.de can be a good option for EU customers, it seems they don't have many references in stock.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 08:13:44 am »

arca-swiss-magasin.com is the main french dealer, and the closest to A/S. You pass your order here and A/S fulfills it directly.

Though arca-shop.de can be a good option for EU customers, it seems they don't have many references in stock.

:)

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

tom_l

• http://www.tomlucas.net
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 09:49:48 am »

I was at the Kina too saturday.
Some nice stuff there,
the electro-mechanic studio cam (Cap Cam ) looked really fun, probably the way to go, but i'm afraid there's no market left for thes tools.

Was impressed too by the Cambo, a beautiful little jewel, but of course it will only make sense with a CMOS back. (tried the Leaf one there, very very good live view, compared to my IQ160).

Stayed a moment at the Leaf stand, unfortunately Yair was very busy, but I nevertheless had the opportunity to play with the installed repro camera from P1 I'm very interested in.

Tom

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 10:42:31 am »

Do these things work with an A7R and a wide angle lens like a Canon 24 TS-E? How wide would this go, 50? 30?

I found that DSLR sized sensors on view cameras demand a precision in zeroing that defeated a heavy studio monorail like the Cambo Ultima, so what hope for a cute little thing like these. Tilt where you don't want it is the enemy of deep focus.

I can see these are revolutionary with a Credo 50 on the back. I'll ask my guardian angel to magic up the money for me.

With an MFDB and live view these are probably the grail for a view camera lover.

@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

Theodoros

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 12:11:24 pm »

Does the F-Universialis work with the FP shutter so that one may use an MS back with it? Also... is there an alternative focusing method offered with the F-Universialis (with FP mounted on it - if it can) for those that want to stick with their older MS backs that offer much worst LV than a 50c-ms or a 200c-ms?  
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 12:15:39 pm by Theodoros »

torger

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 01:34:33 pm »

Do these things work with an A7R and a wide angle lens like a Canon 24 TS-E? How wide would this go, 50? 30?

I found that DSLR sized sensors on view cameras demand a precision in zeroing that defeated a heavy studio monorail like the Cambo Ultima, so what hope for a cute little thing like these. Tilt where you don't want it is the enemy of deep focus.

I can see these are revolutionary with a Credo 50 on the back. I'll ask my guardian angel to magic up the money for me.

With an MFDB and live view these are probably the grail for a view camera lover.

With the Canon TS-E's you need a focal plane shutter and some electronic interface to control the aperture. Hartblei Hcam and Alpa FPS has this. Arca-Swiss got a focal plane shutter unit now, but I don't think they can control Canon lenses (yet). Correct me if I'm wrong.

The A7r sensor have crosstalk issues, and while the TS-Es won't bring it into crosstalk except in the very edge of the image circle (which is fuzzy anyway), tech wides will. Desaturation and demosaicing artifacts may follow. As it's subjective how much you can accept it's subjective how wide you can go. It also depends on how much you want to shift. Unfortunately I don't have any test files on A7r with tech wides, but have IQ250 files (equivalent to Credo 50) and from those I'd say if you keep within 25-30 degrees you're going to get fine image quality, and you can stretch it a bit in the corners and in horizontal orientation. The heavily retrofocus Canon TS-E delivers light at about 20 degrees at the image circle edge, and A7r show a little crosstalk there so I'd guess maybe that sensor is stable for 17 degrees or so.

Unfortunately there's no "max projection angle on the image plane" data in the lens data sheets. Since the wide lenses generally have quite large nodal point separation (meaning that the rear nodal point is considerable closer to the image plane than the center of the copal shutter, ie there's a steeper angle than one might expect) it's not so easy figured out from the available data sheets.

Schneider Digitar does have nodal point separation defined in their data sheets, but that does not really help that much as we need to know where the actual rear nodal point is. Anyway taking the flange focal distance, adding 5mm (to get to the center of the Copal) and then removing half nodal point separation seems to lead to an approximative position of the rear nodal point, which becomes equal to the focal length as these lenses are of symmetrical type. Angle is thus just the same as in the front, and thus the SK28XL delivers light at almost 60 degrees (!) at the image circle edge. Ie way past what the Sony CMOS sensors can do.

Rodenstock Digarons are retrofocus and unfortunately their data sheets don't have any nodal point separation specified so we can't do any approximation in the same way. Looking at a cross-section of one of these lenses it does seem like nodal point separation is quite big in these lenses, say 20mm or so. Then we can approximate the rear nodal point position as being flange focal distance + 5 - 20/2, ie flange focal distance - 5mm. Assuming this is right we get the following angles:

Digaron-S 23mm: arctan((70/2)/(44.8-5)) = 41 degrees at 70mm image circle edge
Digaron-S 28mm: 36 degrees
Digaron-S 35mm: 36 degrees
Digaron-S 60mm: 31 degrees

Digaron-W 32mm: 35 degrees at 90mm image circle
Digaron-W 40mm: 35 degrees
Digaron-W 50mm: 32 degrees

Using a laser pointer these angles could be verified, but unfortunately I don't have these lenses so I can't test (I have many of the symmetric Schneider Digitar lenses though). It does seem like Rodenstock have had some maximum angle of ~35 degrees as design target and adapted the degree of retrofocus to match that. The Rodenstock 32mm is thus more retrofocus (and more complex) than the 40mm, but will thanks to that not put the sensor more to the test than the 40. The 23mm seems to be an exception with a bit steeper angle. Nodal point separation can vary a lot between lenses though, so the actual value could be otherwise.

Anyway, with these angles it seems like you will with the Rodenstocks get some limitations with the Credo 50, and pretty large limitations with the A7r. Of course things get considerably worse with the Schneider Digitar lens line. If you would go to the 110 mm image circle edge of the 60XL you have 45 degrees angle there, ie more than the Digaron-S 28mm at its edge...

I have test files of IQ250 + 32 HR though. With the 32HR your trouble-free (very little desaturation and no demosaicing artifacts) zone is about 65-70mm image circle, which would put the IQ250 / Credo 50 limit at about 25 degrees. Or put it in other terms, you'll get 65-70mm image circle from the 32 and 40 and a little more with the 50 (but not full 90), and with the Digaron-S lenses 28 and 35 you get 50-55mm image circle (ie no shifting!). Depending on subject you can accept more crosstalk and expand this zone. With the A7r you get smaller circles, but on the other hand you have a smaller sensor and maybe you shift less then.

So the question "how wide would this go" is not so easily answered, unless you just say "it depends"...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 01:50:44 pm by torger »

Doug Peterson

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 02:24:17 pm »

Does the F-Universialis work with the FP shutter so that one may use an MS back with it? Also... is there an alternative focusing method offered with the F-Universialis (with FP mounted on it - if it can) for those that want to stick with their older MS backs that offer much worst LV than a 50c-ms or a 200c-ms?  

FP Shutter will work on any of the Arca systems: F, M, Univeralis, or R.

The Univeralis uses the same long-history Arca board mount and can accept the Arca Swiss Rotaslide sliding-ground-glass-back. Also, the rail-sled can be used to tell you the current distance of focus as well as the front and back of the depth-of-field.

We don't work with MS backs so you'd have to direct that question to your MS-supporting dealer.

Theodoros

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 02:42:30 pm »

FP Shutter will work on any of the Arca systems: F, M, Univeralis, or R.

The Univeralis uses the same long-history Arca board mount and can accept the Arca Swiss Rotaslide sliding-ground-glass-back. Also, the rail-sled can be used to tell you the current distance of focus as well as the front and back of the depth-of-field.

We don't work with MS backs so you'd have to direct that question to your MS-supporting dealer.
Thanks for the answer Doug... The question was strictly about Universalis ability... nothing to do with the rest of the products you deal with.

I guess Cambo will be preferred from the ones that decide to use a DSLR (preferably mirrorless), while F-Universalis will be chosen by those that want to expand their MFDB use further than the back of their MF camera... (unless if Cambo comes with a focal plane shutter for the Actus). I believe both cameras will be the company's "flag" (of both companies) from here after... and they are right to do so... Both are beautiful designs.
I also believe that Arca has to look at the price of their FP shutter... they are asking more than half the price of an MF body (which includes a shutter) for it... even more than the camera itself! ....I believe they take advantage from the fact that it is a unique offer (after Sinar M has been discontinued)... they shouldn't, it may affect the sales of the whole system... after all it is only a Copal shutter housed in a box with some communication ports on it... it's not a body!

Doug Peterson

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 02:45:59 pm »

I also believe that Arca has to look at the price of their FP shutter... they are asking more than half the price of an MF body (which includes a shutter) for it... even more than the camera itself! ....I believe they take advantage from the fact that it is a unique offer (after Sinar M has been discontinued)... they shouldn't, it may affect the sales of the whole system... after all it is only a Copal shutter housed in a box with some communication ports on it... it's not a body!

Judging by the interest we've had in the few days since announcement I would say quite strongly the price is ok. Maybe things are a bit different around the world than in your particular market?

Theodoros

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 02:56:34 pm »

Judging by the interest we've had in the few days since announcement I would say quite strongly the price is ok. Maybe things are a bit different around the world than in your particular market?
My point is strictly that they take advance of the fact that there is no competition around... not that I won't be buying it or that people aren't forced to buy it (as they don't have an alternative if they need one)... I still think it may affect sales of the camera than what it could be if it was cheaper...

RobertJ

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 03:28:27 pm »

Arca newbie here:
How do you swing on the front standard of the Arca?  The Cambo has self-locking front tilt and swing, and looks very straightforward.  Overall, I like what I've seen from both cameras.

Cambo Actus video: http://youtu.be/JSVvDHPGbbA

Frederic_H

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 04:09:38 pm »

On the F-line you press the flat element at the bottom of the front frame (with the A/S logo engraved) and swing manually, then release it to lock.

RobertJ

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 04:20:18 pm »

In that case, I'd prefer the Cambo, but there's still that M Line Two which is super nice.

Frederic_H

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 04:35:31 pm »

Not exactly the same weight.
To me the universalis is a F ("field") precise enough to be used with a MFDB, which is rather cool. If it lets me shoot some 4x5 and use a dslr too, I really couldn't ask for more (well, maybe more movements and/or tilt on the rear standard too...).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up